• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

C6 Differential R&R

JBruno88

TCG Elite Member
Apr 3, 2014
Carol Stream, IL
So I went to the track Friday night, and after my last pass when I went to jack the car up, there was gear oil all over the diff, mufflers and was dripping on the ground.

Drove the car home, no loud or odd noises from the diff at all. After talking with STG Motorsports we think it is one of two things...

1. The diff burped and puked fluid out the breather on top of the diff and sprayed it everywhere.

2. The case is cracked.

I'm going to attempt to do a removal, inspection and re-installation in my garage in Carol Stream this week.

I understand that my day job is not a mechanic, but I'd say I'm decently mechanically inclined. This will be one of the biggest jobs I have attempted in the garage and I was looking to see if anyone was willing to lend a helping hand.

If you come over I'll make sure I have cold beer and food. I'm thinking about starting to tackle this tomorrow night (Tuesday).

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
Check axle seals. Fairly common on c6 to leak/fail. Also make sure axles are pushed all the way in to the case.

If you cracked the case more than likely you would have broke the internals.

Highly doubt you burped that much fluid to cover all the parts listed and you would have had to over fill your diff imo.

So save yourself all the headaches first and check axles and seals first.

JBruno88

TCG Elite Member
Apr 3, 2014
Carol Stream, IL
Well we found the culprit. It was the tailshaft speed sensor cracking and pissing fluid passed the o ring. This isn't used on an auto base model because it's in the trans. We fabbed up a cover and sealed her back up.

8823b38170af72aeacd822ad06efdc92.jpg

fd9903694c810fa6ff350f8ea081834b.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info