• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

drilling into metal

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Im trying to make metal brackets just out of flat strips of metal. And all my drill bits are having trouble getting through it. Ive broken a hand full of bits. Are there actual drill bits for metal? Ive looked all over, I see hardened, and zinc covered, etc.
Also looking for screws that will be easy to drill into metal, say like my car frame. Picked up some metal screws from Ace but theyre not going anywhere through it.
I have pics of what my project is if itll make it easier to see what im trying to do.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Most steel is soft. Take and hit them with a file if it cuts with the file, drill bits from ace should go through it. If it screeches with the file the steel is hardened. I doubt it is however.

Holes should be started with a center drill it does not walk like a drill and then drill though with a drill bit. Drill bits like I use at work are made of high speed steel which is hardened and should go through just about everything normal people would drill through.

Try using a Christmas tree/stepped bit. Don't bother with any from harbor freight. They break better then they cut. If you're drilling into stainless then you need to go slow so it doesn't heat up and burn up your bits. Remember, you're trying to cut through the metal, not get it hot and punch through it. Doesn't work like that. Good luck and wear your safety glasses. Just had a friend get a metal sliver in his eyes, doc had to pick it out with a needle. He lost a whole line of vision in that eye.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
I assume you're trying to do this with a hand drill? If you've already heated up the bracket it may be work hardened and then you need carbide/masonry bits. However masonry bits are poor for hole size accuracy.

I'm at work and if you're on my way home I can drop you the proper stuff pm me by 3:00 today.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Jun 7, 2011
Ohare
Ill post of pic of the brackets im drilling. But the oil and wd40 I didnt think of. Pretty much raw dogging the metal with the drill bit. And I do tend to go fast on it, not the highest setting on the drill but it aint slow. I try to drill through it first with a small bit to get a little hole so the screw has an easier time going through. Usually that results in a broken bit because its so small and im so manly :s00ls: I already broke a new high speed bit last night, a small one. Im probably pressing too hard on it.

Knowklew

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 5, 2014
drillsheetmetalsideview.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info