• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LS1 piston slap

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Little thicker oil may help a bit. I assume it goes away when warm?
But the "fix" is a bore and new Pistons.
Learn to live with it, let it warm up before you drive it.

I think that addresses the lifter tick issues more so than the piston slap. No real easy solution for it, but then again it's an issue that you can live with.

Oh Noez

Addict
Oct 12, 2012
Is that a boosted thing or fine to do in most ls applications?

Oil weight is determined by bearing clearances used, though region climate also plays a smaller part. For FACTORY LS bearing clearance a 5w30 or 10w30 is fine.

Engines built with looser clearance, ie: boost nitrous applications would use a thicker oil like 20w50.

Putting 20w50 into a standard bearing clearance LS motor is a quick way to tear shit up.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I think starting with the LS2 and newer engines GM started using full floating wrist pins which were supposed to minimize piston slap and reduce friction.

The piston slap in the LS's is because of the shorter piston skirt, and slightly large piston to wall gap. The Pistons are aluminum and when cold they shrink. GM allowed room for the pistons to expand in the cylinder bores when up to temperature. When the pistons are cold and shrunken they cock back and forth withing the cylinder. When warm, they expand and close this gap up, leading to a quite motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info