• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Vehicle battery thermal wrap (electric warmer) - Anyone use them?

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I'm trying to have a leg up this winter as far as my car starting in these frigid temps. Last winter I had a few mornings where my car wouldn't start because the battery was too cold to start the GP. The battery at that time was at most a year old. Ive looked into battery warmers on Amazon and i'm wondering if anyone has any input on them.

For example:

41sUVlDZhRL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Kats-22200-Watt-Battery-Thermal/dp/B000I8XD9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415676975&sr=8-1

Any other sugestions? I have looked electric magnet oil pan warmers but I don't think thats what I need.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I have a block heater in all my vehicles. Even when it was 0* out, running them for 4 hours before I left for work they'd be around 40* for coolant temps. Really makes a big difference on cold starts and warm up times. It would also melt off any frost on my hood and if I kept my vents on for the defrost it would slightly defrost my windshield.

Battery warmer would make your battery last much longer but a new battery shouldn't have any issue starting a cold vehicle.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
If I had the ability to run a line out to my car I'd install a block heater. Would be nice to have the block warm on those freezing days. But I live in an apartment and can't do that.

What are LL's going to do when Electric cars become common enough that people need a way to charge them even if they are renting an apartment.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
My srt-4s had the blanket from the factory. I removed them when I went big turbo. I honestly never noticed a difference. I think battery quality has more to do with it than anything. Didnt have any warmers on the cruze or elantra this past winter either. Both started right up even in -25 real air temps.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I had a block heater on my gasser expedition and I used it everyday I could that it was below 30*. They work absolute wonders, almost instant heat, saves abuse, especially on vehicles with aluminum heads and cast blocks, the expansion rate difference is crazy at those temps, you want everything to heat up as equally as possible.

For the smaller guys, they have circulation pump heaters, not only does it heat the coolant it moves it around your block and heater core. It doesn't work as well for us guys with 8 gallons to heat, but for smaller applications it works great.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Whats the CCA on your battery [MENTION=1396]Freebeer187[/MENTION]?! The battery blanket might be a cheap holdover until the battery takes a dump completely, but I'd definitely get a better battery next time around. I wouldn't think any later model cars should have any trouble starting with a decent battery.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info