• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Sound system questions

Not sure how many here are into true SQ audio set ups in their cars, but I figured I'd put this up here anyways. Black Friday is coming up, and I'm wondering what my next step should be with the system. So far, I have my 5 channel Kenwood amp. I am running it as a 3 three channel, front stage is bridged. Sub is a 10 in a sealed box. Stock head unit. No rear fill. My 6X9s are gone, just have holes there. I have sound deadened my front doors, door cards, trunk lid, trunk floor, and rear quarters. I have just enough MLV to apply to the doors, just haven't gotten around to it. I used a bunch of butyl rope to try and isolate the front door speakers and reduce resonance further. Overall, I'm pretty happy with my system but I am ready to take the next step. First thing, in my opinion, should be a new head unit. I've been looking at the Pioneer DEH80PRS, since it has all the features needed to make the most of the system, like time alignment and other goodies, however I'm just annoyed that I can't seem to find a double DIN with these features. If I can't then I guess I will settle for the single DIN, but doubles just look so much better and more OEM+. After the head unit, I will probably start replacing my speakers with some higher quality pro audio drivers. All my current stuff is upper grade Pioneer stuff.

Any thoughts?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
what front speakers are you running?

my gtp is set up similar to yours... sound deadened throughout the entire floor, trunk, and doors.

I run some ~10ish year old mb quart component set up front (before they got bought out) with a JL 4 channel, with two channels working the speakers and the other two bridged for the sub to just save on weight/clutter/stuff.

I run a single 12 in a sealed box.

I have a 11ish year old Alpine head unit that has time alignment and hp/lp/sub filters and a decent equalizer.

double din's seem to be hard to come by as far as sound quality-customization aspects...

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
You mean you want it to sound real good or do you plan to actually compete in sound quality because that's a whole different ball game, my old sq set up from the early 2000's was about 10,000 dollars and I still would get my ass handed to me in today's standards

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75" D-Series Component Car Speakers

These are my front speakers. They're decent I guess, but they seem to lack in the mids department. I can't figure out if it's their fault or the archaic ACDelco headunit.

I am not trying to compete ever, what I meant by SQ setup is not an SPL set up. Not trying to pound.

The 2000+ Bonneville opening is actually double DIN sized.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I've been itching to do something like this. There are a bunch of setups out there using the Nexus 7. I know the Bonnes have a 1.5 DIN opening, but I'm sure with some crafty fab with the stock trim plate you could get it opened up to a double DIN.

Nexus 7 built in to double DIN enclosure. External DAC, USB drives, Auto ON / SLEEP

There is a dude from California that sells plate kits for apple products that you glass into your dash so you can put your phone/iPad in and out easily and don't have to dedicate one to the car his name is, I think his shops name is sound man or something like that but I'm sure they have done about any install like that possible, he has all kinds of crazy interface kits to amplify them and use your settling wheel controls for the volume and stuff pretty cool

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
With no rear speakers I would add either a set of 3"-4" to the front mix, if I were doing a set up with no rear fill I would go tweeter 4" 6.5", or tweeter 5.25" 8" then a single sealed 10 in the back, I prefer to have some midrange in the rear though it makes it sound a lot fuller, but the head unit could be dragging you down as well

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
That prehistoric stock radio with built in eq's and bass cut off is not helping one bit.
Personally my two favorite speakers are Hertz High Energy and Hybrid Audio.
My to favorite brands of amps are Audison and JL.

After fitting my Accord with Hertz and JL it makes my Grand Prix sound like complete garbage and that car had a Pioneer double din, kicker amp, Polk speakers, and Infinity sub.

I was at a local car stereo shop and I listened to a system in the owners truck with all Hybrid Audio speakers, Audison amps, Audison bit one sound processor and holy shit.

If you want something that is going to sound well rounded and good, dont buy anything that can be bought at best buy or sonic electronics. Your going to have to step up, but it will be pricey.

My sub
Hertz

My speakers
Hertz

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I have a JL box with two 8" subs. . Totally impressed with the set . They have their limits because of size , but sound quality is very good and they do hit hard if you want them to . Bass is nice and crisp sounding coming from the trunk through the back seat cushions .

One is tore though I do need a new set . I am staying with JL .

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I have a JL box with two 8" subs. . Totally impressed with the set . They have their limits because of size , but sound quality is very good and they do hit hard if you want them to . Bass is nice and crisp sounding coming from the trunk through the back seat cushions .

One is tore though I do need a new set . I am staying with JL .

I have heard them and they do sound great for 8 inch subs. One HX300 in a 1 cubic foot sealed box blows them out of the water

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info