• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Wife's Car Has An Electrical Gremlin

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Help me diagnose this issue, I am in meetings all day and will not have to look into it until later.

The wife's car is a 2010 Mazda 6 with a push start ignition. She was coming home from dropping the kids off at preschool and all of the warning lots popped up on the display of the car and the radio stopped working. She pulls in the driveway and cannot turn the car off. I get home to help, the car is running, will not come out of park, and will not turn off. I know the issue is obviously electrical, but wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations where to start off or a similar issue. Would like to wrap this up tonight as I am going out of town tomorrow.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
That sucks Jimbo! Hope you get it straightened out!

gremlin.gif

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I'm not sure why the radio is not working . But that system does need you to press on the brake pedal to start .

And when shutting off , if it's automatic i think it needs to know it's in park and then hit button .

Or for emergency if you hit the button multiple times very quickly it is supposed shut off .

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
just imagine how bad the gremlins are gonna get in a few more years....

i get the feeling that the most valuable cars in the future...are gonna be the ones without all the BS

the PCM/BCM wont shutoff non essential systems (radio/abs/trac/hvac) unless there is a voltage problem as the car is trying to make sure you have enough power.

the problem is that you said its just the radio? in that case id figure it'd be part of an alert, kill radio to help keep driver attention on the malfunction.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
Pull the fuel pump fuse or disconnect the batteries to shut the car off . For now . Might not be able to start it up again if it thinks it's in gear though .

DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BATTERY WHEN IT IS RUNNING. EVER.... The battery controls the PCM which controls the voltage regulator. you disconnect it and you can cause the alternator to spike and fuck up the PCM....

As said above, check your battery! Do a load test on it and see what its pumping out off then running to see what the Alt is putting out. A battery with a bad cell can cause some funky shit to go down....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info