• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Which Trans Brake Button is Preferred?

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'm just finishing up the installation of a new trans in my 90 LX. I'll be running a trans brake for my first time and I'm trying to decide on what type of trans brake button I want to run. Does anybody prefer 1 over another? Are there any advantages or disadvantages of a remote button on a coil wire?

Thanks

Reactions: slashslash50

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I loved my Griner. Some trans brakes need to be held on for you to be able to use reverse. Not a Griner, and why I liked it.

You should be able to get around that by wiring in the reverse tail light if you have to tbrake in to use reverse. Thats what I'll do with mine but just haven't yet. As for a button I've used cheapy ones before and now I have a decent Jegs branded one. They can get pretty expensive so it depends on how competitive and dialed in you want to be.

This is the jegs one I have used.
Jegs Performance Products 10350 Quick Release Transbrake Button | eBay

Great White Drake

You used to call me on my cell phone
Jun 23, 2010
You should be able to get around that by wiring in the reverse tail light if you have to tbrake in to use reverse. Thats what I'll do with mine but just haven't yet. As for a button I've used cheapy ones before and now I have a decent Jegs branded one. They can get pretty expensive so it depends on how competitive and dialed in you want to be.

I don't get it. Wiring a reverse light engages a gear? I should add I had a Griner valve body too. Rmvb

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
It all depends on how it engages. Mine for instance engages with a 12v source. For reverse to activate I have to engage the tbrake so sending 12v to it will allow it to shift into reverse providing i'm in R or N. Alternately I could splice in my reverse tail lights 12v into that wire so it would send 12v to the tbrake if the shifter is in R.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Good info so far. I'm probably going to order something like the Jegs button posted above. I'm leaning towards mounting the button on my center console near the base of the shifter. I don't want a remote button hanging loose and bouncing around while making a pass or cruising on the street.

I haven't looked at a wiring diagram yet, so I'm not sure if I'll have to hold the button to engage reverse.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I'll be running nitrous also. I'm still researching and trying to figure out how I want to wire everything together. I'm planning on adding a 2 step and I'd like to set it up so that I'm spraying as soon as I let go of the tbrake button. I have an RPM window switch and TPS activated WOT switch in place already.

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for the tip. I knew I would have to use at least 1 relay. I didn't realize I would need 2. My car is a pretty mild street/strip build. I have a 3500 RPM converter, so I won't be launching it at crazy RPM. My plan is to set the bottom of the RPM window to just below my launch RPM and interrupt the nitrous until I release the button.

PJx5x

TCG Elite Member
Sep 29, 2005
Villa Park

You will probably want to use a diode so you're not turning the rev lights on when you get on the brake

Matt come by my office and we can figure out all your wiring and build a harness

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I just ordered a Dedenbear XL button. I'm going to mount it somewhere near the base of the shifter. I may make a panel to hide it in the ash tray and fix the broken ash tray door so I can hide it when I'm just cruising on the street.

I also ordered a NX 60 amp double throw relay to interupt the nitrous system from activating while on the brake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info