• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

converter lock up? Yank 3600 Ls1

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have a cammed ls1 with a yank 3600. It currently locks up at 50mph. I have put maybe a 1000 miles on it. The trans usually runs 180* - 190*. Should I have it lowered to 40 -45mph? Were do you guys have your lock up set?

That all depends on many factors.... How large your cam is..... Vs the gear in your rear end. If you have a big cam like I do you gotta have the lock up higher in the rpm or the car will fight itself or possible run like crap.

My old Camaro had a 3600 stall and a gear and locked up at 45 mph. My Trans am now has a much larger cam. It doesn't lock up until 55 mph. I would recommended talking to speed inc and asking.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Also 180-190 is ok for Trans temp. I am guessing you have a big Trans cooler like most of us? Just monitor the temps. With a large cooler I don't see why 5 mph less lock up speed would really make a major difference for ya. I don't daily drive my car idk what your car driving habits are

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Part throttle.

Well in that case, as long as temps are kept in check then pt lockup mph is a matter of personal preference provided that no bogging occurs. It temps go too high then installing a larger trans cooler will help better than programming the ECU to lock up a few mph lower than before. After all, in daily driving, cars are usually most often driven at speeds below the lockup mph in city traffic.

Another thing I am curious of, but does your current tune command your TCC to lockup at 50mph regardless of gear or throttle input? For ease of comfort, that should usually be feathered in within the tune.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
My lock up was set at 52mph before. I recently changed it to 45mph and it locks up pretty much everytime I drive on the roads I frequent. You're temps are alright. As long as they are sub 200's or even 210's you should be good to go. When your converter locks up your trans temps start to cool down as much as 15-20* or more.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
With my current ZO6 Cam 3.73 Gear 4K vig converter I have lockup at 43mph. I also changed my lockup tables to only go into Lockup if I'm below (I think) 15% throttle and will not come out unless I've above 50% throttle. When I had an MS3 I had to raise it to I think 50mph and Stock Cam 40 mph but its been a long time since then. trans temps have hit as high as 210 and I can manually turn on the pass side fan which pulls aid through the trans cooler (not stock fan wiring or tuning on the fans). on hot days I strive to get to Lockup just to watch the trans temps drop. I also put around 9 - 10K a year on the car.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Well in that case, as long as temps are kept in check then pt lockup mph is a matter of personal preference provided that no bogging occurs. It temps go too high then installing a larger trans cooler will help better than programming the ECU to lock up a few mph lower than before. After all, in daily driving, cars are usually most often driven at speeds below the lockup mph in city traffic.

Another thing I am curious of, but does your current tune command your TCC to lockup at 50mph regardless of gear or throttle input? For ease of comfort, that should usually be feathered in within the tune.

I am not sure.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
That's good however what gear do you have and how large is the cam? That's a huge factor. For me I can't lock up at 45. It will bog the cam is to large

I will have to find the cam card. Its a Tick sns stage 2. Right now its got 2.73 I have 3.42 I need to get in it. Hopefully I will feel a difference and that wont be a waste of time.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
I will have to find the cam card. Its a Tick sns stage 2. Right now its got 2.73 I have 3.42 I need to get in it. Hopefully I will feel a difference and that wont be a waste of time.

Holy shit, you have no idea. The 2.73 is the worst gear ever made. It has so many dead spots it's not funny. I have a 3.42 going in my car soon, can't wait.

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
Holy shit, you have no idea. The 2.73 is the worst gear ever made. It has so many dead spots it's not funny. I have a 3.42 going in my car soon, can't wait.

The shift extension from a good Performance converter will eliminate the dead spots even with 2.73's.

If I were to do it again I'd immediately buy a good trans and 4000 stall before anything else. When my car had just a lid, stock stall, cat back, 2.73's on DR's it was running 13.2-13.3... After a Vig 3600 and rebuilt trans being the only change it was doing 12.7's all day long. Changing to 3.73's only gained me 2 tenths but the seat of the pants feel from the 3.73's made the car feel like it was a second faster.. lol.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
The shift extension from a good Performance converter will eliminate the dead spots even with 2.73's.

If I were to do it again I'd immediately buy a good trans and 4000 stall before anything else. When my car had just a lid, stock stall, cat back, 2.73's on DR's it was running 13.2-13.3... After a Vig 3600 and rebuilt trans being the only change it was doing 12.7's all day long. Changing to 3.73's only gained me 2 tenths but the seat of the pants feel from the 3.73's made the car feel like it was a second faster.. lol.

With 138K miles I decide to buy a low mile 10 bolt and add a set of 3.42's. Next season I will probably throw in a converter. I'm not used to modding so slow, lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info