Forum Register TCG Mobile Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > The Garage > TCG Technical

User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By willizm
  • 2 Post By Lead Pipe

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
 
crooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 3,085
Casino cash: $153798
1.24 per day
Default converter lock up? Yank 3600 Ls1

I have a cammed ls1 with a yank 3600. It currently locks up at 50mph. I have put maybe a 1000 miles on it. The trans usually runs 180* - 190*. Should I have it lowered to 40 -45mph? Were do you guys have your lock up set?
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Gearhead
 
rocket5979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 6,575
Casino cash: $7257600
1.32 per day
Default

Are you referring to WOT lockup or lock up during part throttle?
__________________
-Robert-
2009 Pontiac G8 GT 6.6-Twin Turbo, 402 stroker, built trans, fuel system, etc...
2005 Audi S4 4.2-Boltons...
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6-Kenne Bell 2.2 @20psi, Built 4.6, built 4R70W, fuel system, etc...

rocket5979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
 
crooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 3,085
Casino cash: $153798
1.24 per day
Default

Part throttle.
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
 
lastls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,767
Casino cash: $62787200
4.56 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks View Post
I have a cammed ls1 with a yank 3600. It currently locks up at 50mph. I have put maybe a 1000 miles on it. The trans usually runs 180* - 190*. Should I have it lowered to 40 -45mph? Were do you guys have your lock up set?

That all depends on many factors.... How large your cam is..... Vs the gear in your rear end. If you have a big cam like I do you gotta have the lock up higher in the rpm or the car will fight itself or possible run like crap.

My old Camaro had a 3600 stall and a gear and locked up at 45 mph. My Trans am now has a much larger cam. It doesn't lock up until 55 mph. I would recommended talking to speed inc and asking.
lastls1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #5
 
lastls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,767
Casino cash: $62787200
4.56 per day
Default

Also 180-190 is ok for Trans temp. I am guessing you have a big Trans cooler like most of us? Just monitor the temps. With a large cooler I don't see why 5 mph less lock up speed would really make a major difference for ya. I don't daily drive my car idk what your car driving habits are
lastls1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
 
crooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 3,085
Casino cash: $153798
1.24 per day
Default

Its got a separate aftermarket trans cooler. The 1000 miles is in the last year
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Gearhead
 
rocket5979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 6,575
Casino cash: $7257600
1.32 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks View Post
Part throttle.
Well in that case, as long as temps are kept in check then pt lockup mph is a matter of personal preference provided that no bogging occurs. It temps go too high then installing a larger trans cooler will help better than programming the ECU to lock up a few mph lower than before. After all, in daily driving, cars are usually most often driven at speeds below the lockup mph in city traffic.

Another thing I am curious of, but does your current tune command your TCC to lockup at 50mph regardless of gear or throttle input? For ease of comfort, that should usually be feathered in within the tune.
rocket5979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
 
lastls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9,767
Casino cash: $62787200
4.56 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks View Post
Its got a separate aftermarket trans cooler. The 1000 miles is in the last year

That's good however what gear do you have and how large is the cam? That's a huge factor. For me I can't lock up at 45. It will bog the cam is to large
lastls1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #9
Ho fuckin Ho!
 
willizm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Saint John, IN
Posts: 10,320
Casino cash: $45039400
2.78 per day
Default

My lock up was set at 52mph before. I recently changed it to 45mph and it locks up pretty much everytime I drive on the roads I frequent. You're temps are alright. As long as they are sub 200's or even 210's you should be good to go. When your converter locks up your trans temps start to cool down as much as 15-20* or more.
rocket5979 likes this.
__________________
turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.
1998 Supra Turbo 6speed swap in progress | 2010 Escalade Premium | 2006 Highlander

willizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
 
Pewter-Camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Schaumburg
Posts: 2,023
Casino cash: $2063700
0.68 per day
Default

With my current ZO6 Cam 3.73 Gear 4K vig converter I have lockup at 43mph. I also changed my lockup tables to only go into Lockup if I'm below (I think) 15% throttle and will not come out unless I've above 50% throttle. When I had an MS3 I had to raise it to I think 50mph and Stock Cam 40 mph but its been a long time since then. trans temps have hit as high as 210 and I can manually turn on the pass side fan which pulls aid through the trans cooler (not stock fan wiring or tuning on the fans). on hot days I strive to get to Lockup just to watch the trans temps drop. I also put around 9 - 10K a year on the car.
__________________
-- John --
2001 Z28
2017 Chevy Colorado
Pewter-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
 
crooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 3,085
Casino cash: $153798
1.24 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket5979 View Post
Well in that case, as long as temps are kept in check then pt lockup mph is a matter of personal preference provided that no bogging occurs. It temps go too high then installing a larger trans cooler will help better than programming the ECU to lock up a few mph lower than before. After all, in daily driving, cars are usually most often driven at speeds below the lockup mph in city traffic.

Another thing I am curious of, but does your current tune command your TCC to lockup at 50mph regardless of gear or throttle input? For ease of comfort, that should usually be feathered in within the tune.
I am not sure.
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
 
crooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Elgin IL
Posts: 3,085
Casino cash: $153798
1.24 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastls1 View Post
That's good however what gear do you have and how large is the cam? That's a huge factor. For me I can't lock up at 45. It will bog the cam is to large
I will have to find the cam card. Its a Tick sns stage 2. Right now its got 2.73 I have 3.42 I need to get in it. Hopefully I will feel a difference and that wont be a waste of time.
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #13
Bru
Super Moderator
 
Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 36,831
Casino cash: $2147483647
8.30 per day
Default

A lot of my vibrations and surging with the cam vanished when the 3.73 gear went in.

Edit: I also had the 2.73.
__________________
Bru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
Washington knows best
 
Lead Pipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,869
Casino cash: $46679799
4.05 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooks View Post
I will have to find the cam card. Its a Tick sns stage 2. Right now its got 2.73 I have 3.42 I need to get in it. Hopefully I will feel a difference and that wont be a waste of time.
Holy shit, you have no idea. The 2.73 is the worst gear ever made. It has so many dead spots it's not funny. I have a 3.42 going in my car soon, can't wait.
Bru and School Boy like this.
__________________
DSR
R.I.P. Ramon
Lead Pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
 
Pewter-Camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Schaumburg
Posts: 2,023
Casino cash: $2063700
0.68 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Pipe View Post
Holy shit, you have no idea. The 2.73 is the worst gear ever made. It has so many dead spots it's not funny. I have a 3.42 going in my car soon, can't wait.
The shift extension from a good Performance converter will eliminate the dead spots even with 2.73's.

If I were to do it again I'd immediately buy a good trans and 4000 stall before anything else. When my car had just a lid, stock stall, cat back, 2.73's on DR's it was running 13.2-13.3... After a Vig 3600 and rebuilt trans being the only change it was doing 12.7's all day long. Changing to 3.73's only gained me 2 tenths but the seat of the pants feel from the 3.73's made the car feel like it was a second faster.. lol.
Pewter-Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #16
Washington knows best
 
Lead Pipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 12,869
Casino cash: $46679799
4.05 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pewter-Camaro View Post
The shift extension from a good Performance converter will eliminate the dead spots even with 2.73's.

If I were to do it again I'd immediately buy a good trans and 4000 stall before anything else. When my car had just a lid, stock stall, cat back, 2.73's on DR's it was running 13.2-13.3... After a Vig 3600 and rebuilt trans being the only change it was doing 12.7's all day long. Changing to 3.73's only gained me 2 tenths but the seat of the pants feel from the 3.73's made the car feel like it was a second faster.. lol.
With 138K miles I decide to buy a low mile 10 bolt and add a set of 3.42's. Next season I will probably throw in a converter. I'm not used to modding so slow, lol.
Lead Pipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts