• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Raspy Exhaust vs Deep Rumble Exhaust

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
So now I'm looking at mufflers because I'd like to have a quiet, almost can't hear the car running muffler as well as a obnoxious sound from the cutout.

I was thinking open pipes at the dump but I've been doing that for a long time and was wondering how the bullet mufflers and a Chamber muffler sounded behind a sbc v8 for instance. Does it still retain most of the rasp or will it quiet it to a rumble? . As for being quiet, I was looking at very generic mufflers. Maybe just one to handle cutting the sound way down.

Anyone have any good recommendations on a raspy and rumbling muffler?

BOPC_Fan

Aug 18, 2014
Palos Park
Depends on how much you want to spend. Cheapest way to go is with a catback to a flowmaster transverse muffler just like factory almost. Most expensive is a custom true dual with an X or H pipe and dual mufflers. Since you have an F-body i would go with a 3" Y off your manifolds to a single Dynomax Bullet (get the longest 16" one to keep the volume down-ish) then instead of a transverse muffler just go straight-pipe Y again just after the rear axle but go down to 2.5" out back. That will give you the nice deep sound you are looking for. You can try to piece it together with various exhaust kits but if you know of a good performance exhaust shop that will bend you up one i personally would go that route.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Doesn't someone on here with a som t/a have that loudmouth? Anywho.....

For now I'm going with bullets i guess, cheap and should bolt right up behind my headers.

I had 2 into 1 to the back out of 2 exhaust before, no mufflers and it was actually quiet at cruising and idle but if you got on it or up on the converter foot breaking it around 2600 it would get loud with a raspy sound and the back pressure rasp as well when I let off the throttle doing revs. That's kind of what i wanted again and was looking for.

Which one? I posted a video on tcg Facebook page of it with long tube headers and about a 1 foot long pipe off the end of em. I'll get another video later of it outside my garage idling like that for ya.

I meant when you get your new exhaust. If you need a place to go and have it done, i had mine done at sasser custom exhaust in new lenox. He will do whatever you want and custom bends everything. Decent price too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info