• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Anyone else have trouble with AN fittings leaking when used with oil?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I am trying to fix 2 leaks on my turbo car.
One is the turbo drain back and the other is the connection at my breather tank.

Both locations use a -10 AN fitting, and both leak.

I have had the fittings off countless times, and I even siliconed the threads on the drain back bung.....still leaks.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this common when used with motor oil?

Thanks in advance.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
main-ebay-GCR377-AN4-AN-4-4-AN-Straight-Aluminum-Swivel-Fitting-Hose-End-Oil-Fuel-Adaptor-Red.jpg

The collar is reverse thread, the "shank" is normal.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
You mean like this?

no-hose-clamps-required-pushlock.jpg

It's a push lock /thread.

I'd trust a stripper with my credit card before I'd trust those with my engines life blood. I've never seen any of them not leak after some time.

Really? I use nothing but pushlock on everything Ive ever built, never had a leak until now.

The drainback line is so short I dont have the ability to use a screw-on type fitting.
Maybe Ill just by an Earls or Russell fitting instead of the Jegs, and see if that fixes it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I use push-lock fittings from Jegs, and they appear to be leaking from where the hex nut meets the actual 'tube' of the fitting.

That means the hose end is not seating properly on the fitting. The oil should never pass that seal. I have seem people have issues where there are bad hose ends, hose ends with defects where the seat is, incorrect installation of the hose end on the fitting and over tightening.

When you go to tighten the hose end make sure the fitting is directly inline with the fitting. Some hose ends have more slop in them than others. That slop can let the sealing surfaces be off and let fluids by. As well as ruin the fitting and hose end.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info