• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Rear end gears?

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
Question, I have 2 rear ends both junk 10 bolts but one is in Better condition wise with rust but it has limited slip stock gears. Other rear end is pretty rusty and would take a good amount of sanding and paint to get looking good but it has a posi unit with 4.10 gears.

Question is, would it be a better idea to swap the units or leave it and just swap the entire rear ends? I already know that gear is probably going to break my first hard launch but it'll be fine for now with just cruising.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
I had plans in that direction with either one I went with. Just wasn't too sure how the surface rust would effect a rear end vs one that doesn't have much at all and the job of pulling both out to swap, entire rear end vs just the internals.

Oh and I'm doing the rear end bright red so everyone knows who it is when they are behind me losing.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Easier to find bits of a fragged 7.5 if they're red that's for sure. In all seriousness though, if it's a quiet rear without a million miles on it and the posi works, it's better to toss it in as is. Unless you know what you're doing with setting up gears, it can be a hassle. Change the fluid, find a rear cover with cap supports, if you're feeling real frisky do a solid pinion spacer on it but expect it to knock some teeth off the gear set eventually especially with high numerical gears. If you haven't ever set a rear up youtube it, I'm sure someone has a video. It's not really difficult it just takes a significant amount of patience.

DynaSlim

TCG Elite Member
Aug 13, 2012
Plainfield
yeah pretty much. W/e that thing is, girdle I guess. That rear just looks nasty tho. Maybe after cleaning up and por 15 it'll make me feel better.
phbhn1x.jpg

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Again I would just pick one and leave the gears and all installed. I have done posi units and gear changes at Siu. It is nothing to mess around with if u don't know what your doing. Crushing collars, rotating teeth contact, setting back lash all requires special tools that you may not have. Do it wrong and it will be in pieces on the hwy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info