[workout] amino acids

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
The most reliable way to deliver specific amino acids is to administer the particular amino acids themselves. The most bioavailable source for oral use is powdered free form amino acids.

A singular (unbonded) amino acids can specifically elevate its level in the general circulation within 15 minutes, making it readily available for metabolism at the site where it's needed. Hence, for example, the recommendation to use BCAAs before, during and after training both to prevent central / mental fatigue, as well as to provide a source of energy to help prevent muscle protein catabolism and to speed recuperation.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GJBFA2/?tag=tcg21-20

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
According to my protein jug, here's what I'm ingesting right now :rofl:

(all in mg)
Alanine 2609
Arginine 4316
Aspartate 6138
Cystine 1083
Clutamine 11646
Glycine 1755
Histidine 1209
Isoleucine 3470
Leucine 6866
Lysine 4969
Methionine 1446
Phenylalanine 2165
Proline 3841
Serine 2922
Treonine 3501
Tryptophan 960
Tyrosine 1988
Valine 3366

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
that appears to be the benefit of amino acids..

The key is the window of opportunity that occurs immediately after exercise, when the muscle is especially receptive to nutrients and the blood flow to the exercised muscles remains high. The solution to optimizing recovery and growth in this case could include eating a small meal composed of protein with both simple and complex carbohydrates.

This isn't the current high tech approach, however. For one, if you trained hard, chances are - even if a convenient and light, nutritious meal was readily available - you wouldn't feel like eating. More important, a high protein meal won't put significant levels of amino acids into your bloodstream until a couple of hours after you eat it, especially if blood flow to the gastrointestinal tract has been diminished by a hard training session. The bottom line: Even if you eat the right foods soon after training, the nutrients will arrive at the muscle too late to take full advantage of the window of opportunity.

skeezer

TCG Elite Member
Jan 3, 2008
Luke's Beef
this sort of answers that question.

The value of free-form amino acids is first and foremost that they don't require digestion. The term 'free-form' means exactly that: They are free of chemical bonds to other molecules and so move quickly through the stomach and into the small intestine, where they're rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream.

Upon absorption, amino acids are processed by the liver. When you eat a steak, for example, only relatively few amino acids escape the metabolic actions of the liver. Yet the liver can process only so many at one time, and taking a dose of 3-4 grams of rapidly absorbed amino acids exceeds the liver's capacity, resulting in the aminos being directed to the tissues that require them, such as muscle in the case of bodybuilder recovering from training. Thus, the concept of 'directed amino acids'.

While sound in theory, does it work in practice? As early as 1990, the Bulgarian national weightlifting team began trials to determine if free-form amino acids were a boost to muscular growth. The work was so successful that part of the study was replicated on the Colorado Springs Olympic Training Center. Since then, top bodybuilders and powerlifters around the world today - including Mr. Olympia Dorian Yates, and 'Mr. Powerlifting' Ed Coan - have benefited from this new research.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
That's how most protein supplements are designed as well. They also provide proteins that take longer to absorb, which assists in rebuilding even after your workout.

I can tell you that when I take my supplement, I "feel" the shake working within a few minutes of taking it.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
With all vitamins and supplements, you need to also make sure that you're taking the proper complimenting vitamins to ensure your body can actually WORK with the goodies you're taking. A quick example, is how vitamin E is required to process vitamin C.

So my thought process is this - a protein supplement gears itself towards pre-mixing things you need to have in order to process the things they're actually trying to deliver to your body. If they didn't their product wouldn't work and people wouldn't buy it.

I'm a firm believer of the stuff I'm currently taking, but its pricey.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I thought you weren't an expert Dan?

Or were you just reading the description on the container?

man, you are ruthless.

i wasn't trying to be

Having a logical thought process doesn't make me an expert. My MIL has a degree in nutrition and she's pushed a lot of this stuff on us (my family) over the years... I've listened to some of it so I'm not completely talking out my ass... but I'm certainly not an expert either. Plenty of grey area in the middle for me to reside in though.

Ruthless sounds pretty accurate to me :dunno: You're just out to get me these past few days.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I actually have used that in the past for my back issues. It didn't even improve my clicky ass ankles (from too much biking and running as a kid)...

Not sure I'm buying into that stuff, although I have heard people claim it works for them.

That is actually part of the reason I was curious about fish oil recently.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info