Soft Tissue Work

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Anyone ever go to a PT that specializes in bodybuilders/powerlifters? I had a few issues I wanted checked out and had been looking for someone in the Chicago area for a long time, then stumbled across this guy on IG. I went out to Wheaton a couple weeks ago and he'll be in Cedar Lake this Saturday so i'm going to see him again.

About

My issues:
Left shoulder is almost 2" higher than the right, it's significant
Pecs are lagging
Shoulders forward, upper traps overdeveloped

I'm well aware of these issues and have been stretching my pecs and maximizing rear delt work for years in an effort to pull my shoulders back, and it's helped get rid of shoulder pain I used to experience, but it wasn't enough. One thing I couldn't figure out myself was the shoulder height difference. Drove me fucking nuts, not because of how it looked but because of how it felt doing exercises that require symmetry like dumbbell military press.

He helped explain how arching my back slightly, thus pushing my ribcage out (which I was ALWAYS doing, for years), deactivates lower traps and your serratus which messes with shoulder alignment. He also did a lot of work releasing my pec minor that was pulling my shoulders forward, specifically on the left side. It hurt like a bitch but since then i've noticed more lat activation on my left side and more pec activation while lifting, partly because of the soft tissue work and partly because of modifications he asked me to make while lifting. He also explained about two dozen other things that I wasn't smart enough to fully understand. The dude is a beast and is good at what he does.

Something to consider if you're living with imbalances or lagging body parts.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
lutbsvyffciaxxhkclkh.jpg

now your shoulders are level.

you're welcome.

:s00ls:

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
the chiropractor that I see for my shoulders used to lift heavy when he was younger.
He doesn't just do adjustments etc, he does physical therapy and knows his stuff.

If anything else, a consultation sounds like it would be beneficial for you

2015 Chiropractor of the year for Illinois.

Dr David Flatt, he's in St Charles, part of Northwestern Medicine.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
What did they use to work the tissue? My guess would be a lacrosse ball worked through the fascia? I have had to do something similar due to a shoulder injury that the doctors told me to keep slinged for way too long. It is an interesting pain to go through but the results were worth it.

I trust PT a lot more than doctors for most muscle/aches and pain type stuff these day.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
What did they use to work the tissue? My guess would be a lacrosse ball worked through the fascia? I have had to do something similar due to a shoulder injury that the doctors told me to keep slinged for way too long. It is an interesting pain to go through but the results were worth it.

I trust PT a lot more than doctors for most muscle/aches and pain type stuff these day.

^YES to the highlighted part. I'm honestly shocked at what most doctors don't know when it comes to mobility and body mechanics.

The guy started with graston, then once loosened up just used his hands to dig in to the tissue.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info