OFFICIAL TCG fishin thread V.2018

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Starting a new thread to keep posts from getting buried.

Who’s excited for some fishing this year?

I REALLY got bit by the bug last season, especially ice fishing. I probably spent $1000ish on ice gear this year and made it out somewhere around 30 times. Ice season is over I’m thinking, unless we are getting another cold snap for more than two days. Too busy to get out this weekend and take advantage of the existing ice before it disappears. But, that means open water season is quickly approaching.

Already have a trip booked the last week of August to fish on lake vermillion. My uncle also bought a house on Watts Bar Lake in TN a month ago that I plan to get down to a couple times this year. It’s his retirement house but he’s not planning to move down there for a few years, open to the family for use.

Selling my boat this year also which is going to free up time/money to take up more fishing.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm such a casual fisher dude. I wouldn't mind getting out more and catching some stuff... but I really am pretty clueless on fishing and need to learn more. Besides that, seems like you need to know good spots and have TIME to throw at the hobby... which it seems that I'm low on lately.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Just got home from the bass pro rod/reel trade in thingy. Wallet is $240 lighter. Had some awesome deals.

Purchased:
-Pfeluger president sp35 (just bought a favorite sick stick this is going on)
-BPS pro qualifier 2 bait caster
-Duckett Micro magic pro XL 7’, med casting rod
-2 150yd spools of 30lbs suffix 832

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
I’m also a casual fisher. My buddies and I go more so to drink some beer and just shoot the shit. I have like a $75 fishing pole and Walmart tackle box, lol. We usually go up to Seneca the 1st couple weekends that it opens. Then we usually go camping a couple times a year and fish then as well.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I’m no pro but there’s different uses for different lines. Price, Abrasion resistance,visibility, line memory, stretch, and buoyancy are the main factors. But, at the end of the day use what works for you.

I use mostly braid for the simple reason it’s the least hassle for me. I spool a reel once and don’t touch it again. Rarely a rats nest since there is no memory, i like the sensitivity since it doesn’t stretch, I’ll tie a leader on if I want the characteristics of another line. Bobber fishing I’ll use mono.

I did just pick up a couple more poles so I’m going to try and dedicate each rod to a specific group of techniques and use the “proper” line.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I don't use leaders like *at all*. I own a bunch of them, but never use them in practice. Do you guys use the swivel disconnects at the end of the braid line then or?

You’re thinking along the lines of a wire leader for like or musky fishing. About the only time a leader like that gets used.

You tie directly line to line with a double uni knot. When I fish finess I’ll tie 15-20’ of fluorocarbon on. I can break that off a few times before the leader gets too short and I lose the benefit of having a fluoro leader.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
28d0b4ed6e2f843692178355108a8fd6.jpg

Living the dream

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
Ready for some open water fishing now too. This rain 100% fucked the ice. I’m going to try then chicago river and desplaines very shortly.

I’ve been wanting to hit the Des Plaines river just don’t know where the hell to go lmao.

Hit me up if you guys go, I'd be down to tag along

Kensington

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 14, 2017
Ready for some open water fishing now too. This rain 100% fucked the ice. I’m going to try then chicago river and desplaines very shortly.

Been reading reports of some big Northern out of the Des Plaines these days. In the past they've only hit the 20-25" area, with 30"+ being a rarity. But that seems to be changing. Problem is, at least around me, it's hard to find a good spot to fish from shore, and I haven't brought myself to put in my yak.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Been reading reports of some big Northern out of the Des Plaines these days. In the past they've only hit the 20-25" area, with 30"+ being a rarity. But that seems to be changing. Problem is, at least around me, it's hard to find a good spot to fish from shore, and I haven't brought myself to put in my yak.

I've caught ~25 inch Northern from shore at that little damn at the corner of Arlington Heights and Lake Cook Rd...

cap42

Restoration Hell
Mar 22, 2005
Bolingbrook IL
Got rid of my boat about 10 years ago so I am a casual fisher nowadays. I will go with my dad a few times a year with his boat which is about the only fishing I get in the last few years.

I used to take my boat up to Hayward (Spider Lake) twice a year for musky fishing.

I'd rather fish for panfish, catch 20 or so and cook em up right on the shore for lunch. :nice:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info