Making a change

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
I hate what I have become after getting out of the Army. I quickly gained a shit ton of weight and feel like a POS.

For the past week now, I have been gradually changing my diet from a whole box of velveeta/shells for dinner, to chicken with brown rice and some sort of vegetable. Breakfast is more consistent with a English muffin, egg, cheese, and Canadian bacon sandwich. Lunch is usually spaghetti with meatballs, except I only make the recommended serving size. Water consumption is also up there as I bought a 32 ounce bottle. I discovered if I have it near me at all times, I actually drink it. Been drinking between 64 and 128 ounces a day.

I have also started running every other day. When I say running, I mean I jog until I am an inch away from death, then walk, then jog again until I am right at the gate of hell, then walk again. I've noticed that since I've started, my jogging distance is getting longer before cardiac arrest. My only other limitation is that there is pain present in my knees and ankles. I probably should have waited until after I get my MRI results, but I need to change and have been consistent since starting. Ibuprofen and water are my friends.

My goals:
Not feel like a fat tub of lard
Run a 5k
Begin lifting
Fit into old clothes

I realize this is a lifestyle change and time is needed to see results. So far I am motivated and not being too hard on myself if I slip up.

My biggest motivator:

https://youtu.be/RXhKpUfITV0?t=3m19s

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ive been drinking a ton of water as of late as well. I left my jug at home and am genuinely pissed I forgot it. Got a breakfast burrito and a pepsi from TB and the pepsi is just sitting there....no desire to drink it. So thats a start for me.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Ease into the changes. Too much at once will burn you out and you'll go back to your old ways. Anyone can stick to a diet and exercise for 6 weeks. Like you said, it's a lifestyle. All your changes should be turning into things you enjoy or tolerate with little will power.

Lift weights, do lower impact cardio if it bothers you. Best thing anyone can do for sustained weight loss is increase their lean mass(muscle). It's living tissue that consumes energy just to maintain itself.

LoveSpank

JTICE
Mar 13, 2012
Oswego
I did this last year. I generally hated myself as I had gained just shy of 40lbs over the last 4 and half years. Before kids 185 after kids 223. So after kicking pop and getting in some type of cardio (stairs, treadmill, bike or elliptical) I started noticing clothes fitting much better. Last summer I lost 30lbs in just over 3 months. I'm not back to my pre kid weight but feel a he'll of a lot better. Another main thing was not eating after 7pm as well,I would try to eat a clean dinner before 7 and if I got hungry pound water.

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
Ease into the changes. Too much at once will burn you out and you'll go back to your old ways. Anyone can stick to a diet and exercise for 6 weeks. Like you said, it's a lifestyle. All your changes should be turning into things you enjoy or tolerate with little will power.

Lift weights, do lower impact cardio if it bothers you. Best thing anyone can do for sustained weight loss is increase their lean mass(muscle). It's living tissue that consumes energy just to maintain itself.

Yup, that's why lifting is on my goal list. I have a plan in mind and I have the membership. Just waiting on my MRI results because it hurts to squat and I want the VA to shoot me with some of that steroid sauce in my joints (or whatever the fix is). I am not looking at this as a 6 week or any time constraint diet. The food that I picked and prepared, I legitimately like. I still go out and eat like a pig sometimes, but don't get discouraged and go back to the healthy stuff.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Yup, that's why lifting is on my goal list. I have a plan in mind and I have the membership. Just waiting on my MRI results because it hurts to squat and I want the VA to shoot me with some of that steroid sauce in my joints (or whatever the fix is). I am not looking at this as a 6 week or any time constraint diet. The food that I picked and prepared, I legitimately like. I still go out and eat like a pig sometimes, but don't get discouraged and go back to the healthy stuff.

If it hurts to squat, don't squat. It's a great exercise but not every movement fits every person.

Binge eating is always a struggle. I personally think you should have a varied diet and be able to enjoy things in moderation and not totally restrict food. But, if you have things that give you zero self control when eating, they're best to avoid.

I can't eat chips or baked goods. Never buy the stuff. I'll eat a whole bag of chips, half a container of Oreos, etc etc in one sitting. Just can't contain myself.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
There's a lot of good strategies for reducing calories, have to find what works for you.

When I'm trying to lose weight I skip breakfast. I get by on black coffee and water until 11:30. It also lets me eat more at my other meals to get more full and not be hungry 100% of the time picking at 2oz of chicken and rice.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
I have also started running every other day. When I say running, I mean I jog until I am an inch away from death, then walk, then jog again until I am right at the gate of hell, then walk again. I've noticed that since I've started, my jogging distance is getting longer before cardiac arrest. My only other limitation is that there is pain present in my knees and ankles. I probably should have waited until after I get my MRI results, but I need to change and have been consistent since starting. Ibuprofen and water are my friends.

]

Lmfao, that's funny shit.

I recommend finding another source of exercise ASAP, no sense in screwing yourself up long term. Running sucks and is hard on your joints. There's a dozen other better ways to burn calories.

Congrats on making a change, that's awesome!

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Don't squat. Do inverts instead.

Basically get under the smit machine on your back and push the bar off, using your ankles to roll the locks. I have never been a fan of squats. But with inverts I can easily push 12 plates..

OP, my advice is to not listen to Alux.

"If your knees hurt when you do a traditional squat, consider squatting upside-down with a lot more weight". Lolllllolol

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
Didn't tell him to do more weight... It's a more guided motion. It's much safer than squats

It's the exact same thing as a leg press, only slightly less safe because the stoppers aren't right there at your hands. As such, it has the same risks as a leg press. Those include but are not limited to:

1. Doing too much weight because it's easier than squatting and it's easy to cheat on your ROM
2. Hurting one's back because, being a non-squatting noob, you let your pelvis curl forward at the bottom of the rep (literally 95% of people doing leg press or inverts do this)
3. Putting undue strain on your joints without making any gainz, because you're doing too much weight because you want to talk about how you can invert or leg press 987234982374987324 lbs
4. Feeling the need to pass on shitty lifting advice despite not being qualified to give advice

Inverts, leg press, and squats all pose the same risks to a possibly injured knee or ankle.

Ty

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
It's the exact same thing as a leg press, only slightly less safe because the stoppers aren't right there at your hands. As such, it has the same risks as a leg press. Those include but are not limited to:

1. Doing too much weight because it's easier than squatting and it's easy to cheat on your ROM
2. Hurting one's back because, being a non-squatting noob, you let your pelvis curl forward at the bottom of the rep (literally 95% of people doing leg press or inverts do this)
3. Putting undue strain on your joints without making any gainz, because you're doing too much weight because you want to talk about how you can invert or leg press 987234982374987324 lbs
4. Feeling the need to pass on shitty lifting advice despite not being qualified to give advice

Inverts, leg press, and squats all pose the same risks to a possibly injured knee or ankle.

Ty

Teh invert was passed onto me cause even with good form on squats it would hurt like hell on knees and lower back.

I do invert, it's fine

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
But pop tastes so fucking good...... :(

Id fucking die without mtn dew.

2nd X2 on the weight interval training hell i lift enough weight i sweat just lifting that plus i dont finger fuck my phone for 20 minutes between sets.

Ive started to notice people going to the gym and never breaking a sweat :rofl: stay home and just "diet" if you are scared to get a little sweat on your head. :rofl:

Lastly not everyone is an "expert" what works for me wont do shit for the next guy.

That being said trying something new is about finding what DOES work. no need to be like welp thats wrong or nope shouldnt be doing that......... i think everyone should have enough common sense to think gee if something hurts or is awkward or causes pain then fucking stop it.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
I hate what I have become after getting out of the Army. I quickly gained a shit ton of weight and feel like a POS.

Fucking preach dude. 260 right now. My last year in the Marines I got up to 240, was given 6 months (next weigh in) to unfuck myself and I lost almost 40 pounds and made tape. I know I can do it, I just need to do it and stop being a lazy degenerate piece of shit.

Water has been my big change except for this weekend. Always have water near me and I'm always grabbing it to drink.

MuffHugger

Formerly GTP Mike
Jun 16, 2008
Lil Romeoville
Real Name
Mike
I was overweight before enlisting and dropped like 30 pounds by doing this. Eating healthier, but still having food that I like, running every other day, and drinking only water. I am serious about this and have been sticking to it. I can't wait to try out this lifting program, stronglifts 5x5. I feel like I need to start all over and this has you start with just the bar.

07gxpgray

Jackson
Nov 6, 2008
Peoria, IL
Real Name
Chad Jackson
check out IIFYM (If it fits in your macros) and Jym Army on Facebook. Learning to count macros and have workout routine ideas can help a lot of people. Jym Army is a awesome place to show your progress or look for some motivation. The key to success in fitness is consistency...consistency with your workouts and consistency with your food intake. Make small changes because as mentioned above, it is a lifestyle change.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info