Official TCG fishing thread

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
Who likes to go fishing?

I love fishing and do it a lot. I am not a tournament type of fishermen. I fish for game fish by myself but try and get my son out for pan fish as much as possible. I know sometimes it's hard to find people that like to fish so I figured I would make a new thread.

Today was the last day out on hard water and I can't complain because I got some nice crappie that will taste pretty good in the next few days.

This is an opportunity for people to share fishing holes, stories,and even get together to fish. I am always up to meeting new people to fish with.

Some recent pictures on the ice.

1544942_778647148816379_1059264539_n.jpg

1512519_778647158816378_1169758079_n.jpg

This is my son and I today at Shabbona lake.

1185927_809243739090053_1019966802_n.jpg

And this is the one of the best parts.

1896750_808765535804540_354723099_n.jpg

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I fish all the time! I mostly fish for bass but there is a pond by me that I saw some huge catfish and carp in. I've been trying to catch them for a while.

I also signed up for this thing called "Mystery Tackle Box". Basically it's $15 a month and they send you about $30 worth of GOOD, QUALITY lures. You never know what you are going to receive. I got the frog I have been wanting on my very first shipment a few days ago so I can't wait to use it.

DJ

Forum Sponsor
Oct 20, 2005
I drilled through about 22" of ice yesterday on Lake Shabbona. Spoke with the guy at the bait shop and he said at this time of year they are usually closed because the ice is unsafe and no open water.

I am familiar with the Mystery Tackle Box program. It's a great deal to try a lot of new and different tackle but personally I take my $15 and spend it on something I know I will use. That Big Bite Baits is good stuff though.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
That thumbs up pic is priceless.

I used to ice fish and I used to religiously go to Kentucky Lake and Table Rock Lake in Missouri every spring and Tomahawk for Muskie every October. Unfortunately I don't have to time to go anymore and since I work in the cold everyday I don't have much inclination to go play in it.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I drilled through about 22" of ice yesterday on Lake Shabbona. Spoke with the guy at the bait shop and he said at this time of year they are usually closed because the ice is unsafe and no open water.

I am familiar with the Mystery Tackle Box program. It's a great deal to try a lot of new and different tackle but personally I take my $15 and spend it on something I know I will use. That Big Bite Baits is good stuff though.

Mid march/early april is usually about when northern Illinois thaws out . Shabbona should be sooner than later since it is further south . (usually)

Two years ago today 3/17/12 , Illinois was already thawed out . I caught these two that night . In the boat , 60+ degrees , night time , was a great day . Water temp was probably in the 40s . Candlewick lake .

The thickness of the ice on Candlewick right now is still about 14"-21" I think . Crazy .

Attachments

• 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 398
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 399

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Was just thinking about spring fishing the other day! Can't wait to get out again. Been sticking mainly to little ponds in the NW suburbs. I have good look at Buffalo Creek (corner of Lake Cook Rd and Arlington Heights Rd) in the spring and late fall, but summer is pretty sparse. Really good bass, I've seen some 24" carp pulled out. I've had some luck at some random Barrington ponds.

I've been really try to find some new spots, but really having a hard time. I refuse to do the cast and wait deal, I'm constantly casting and hiking around. So I'm definitely looking for some tips on spots. Will post some of my pictures last season when I'm back at work tomorrow

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
Was just thinking about spring fishing the other day! Can't wait to get out again. Been sticking mainly to little ponds in the NW suburbs. I have good look at Buffalo Creek (corner of Lake Cook Rd and Arlington Heights Rd) in the spring and late fall, but summer is pretty sparse. Really good bass, I've seen some 24" carp pulled out. I've had some luck at some random Barrington ponds.

I've been really try to find some new spots, but really having a hard time. I refuse to do the cast and wait deal, I'm constantly casting and hiking around. So I'm definitely looking for some tips on spots. Will post some of my pictures last season when I'm back at work tomorrow

That place has been ther for a very long time . We used to walk that place and fish and drink , before they made the walking paths through there . about 20 years ago . We used to play king of the mountain on that big ass rock in the water you can see from lake cook . We called it goose shit rock cause it was always covered with shit . But we didn't care . lol

S8ER01Z

Addict
TCG Premium
Jun 2, 2013
Nice crappie! Love fishing. If I feel like a good fight, I will hit up the Mississippi River and go carp fishing. Those are some really fun fish to fight...especially in a river. I have done a few fly in trips to Canada during summer, and would highly recommend it.

Wait people actually try to catch carp? My dad told me years ago that people came out here to do that but I didn't believe him.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI

...Would have never taken you for a fisher. We should go out sometime, even Colleen enjoys the occasional fishing trip with me.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Yeah I see a lot of the older Polish guys fishing for carp basically wherever I go. They use some interesting bait too, I've seen canned corn, dry macaroni, they'll use basically anything. But from what I've seen, the big ones put up a hell of a fight. I wouldn't really trust eating them out of most of the ponds and lakes around here, but I've heard if you leave them in a bucket of clean water after you catch them, it'll clean them up good.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info