Had a hell of a scare last week

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
So last week thursday while at Chubby's I got sick in a way I've never felt before. But like all stupid people I put it off.

I had been stressed all week at work. And even though I prepared and budged for the RS, and John made the actual process of buying the car as smooth as possible it was apparently the straw that broke the camel's back. I had a full blown anxiety attack while at Chubby's and didn't even realize what it was. Or what it COULD have been.

See, if you look up the symptoms for an Anxiety attack and a Heart attack they are basically the SAME symptoms. Except the heart attack might kill you. So that happened thursday night, and I brushed it off. But Friday, Saturday, and even Sunday I couldn't get my resting heart-rate down from 75-85bpm. I'd be laying in bed and instead of the usual 60bpm or so it would be 75-85. After yet another sleepless night I started looking up my symptoms.

• Elevated heart rate.
  • Sudden chills
  • Numbness in extremities

I had these symptoms all at different times, and passed them off to stress that I couldn't pinpoint. I had considered the possibility that I had experienced a mild heart attack. And I debated going to the emergency room.

By monday morning I had slept all of probably 4 or 5 hours total between Thursday night and Monday morning. Late sunday and through the night I had become terrified that I had experienced a heart attack. That alone was a massive stressor.

I called my dad and asked him how he felt when he had his and he described all the same symptoms except he had the usual chest pain. But chest pain isn't part of every heart attack.

So called around to Cardiologists and finally got an appointment for Monday at NCH.

They did a full work-up. Blood pressure, pulse, ECG, then had em come back the next day after fasting for 12 hours for a Cholesterol test.

Nothing. Aside from being overweight, something I have been slowly working on, everything is great. My Cholesterol is low as fuck. LDL, and Triglycerides are WAY below even being considered high. My HDL is a tad low though, so I need to bring it up. But I was just told to start exercising more. Overall Cholesterol is actually very good, well below danger zones.

Blood pressure was good as well. Even though I was nervous as fuck in the exam room, dreading news that as soon as he saw me he'd order me into surgery. But even with that stress it was 118/78. Not really low, but nowhere near bad either. 120/80 is considered the high range of normal. Again, exercise would bring that down too.

When they took the blood pressure test my resting rate was 75bpm, even though it felt like it was hammering in my chest.

The ECG came out perfect, nothing unusual about it at all. I've never had so many leads stuck to me. Felt like Pinocchio.

I'm still considering going for a Stress test, but the other tests performed have eliminated all of the symptoms I've been having. Somewhere along the line I took care of the stress from work and the car. But then the stress from thinking I might have had a heart attack overshadowed all of that.

I've honestly never been more stressed in my life. Even a hint of a thought that I might keel over and DIE was mind numbing. I could concentrate on nothing else. Since these screenings are free yearly I have decided I'm going to get them every year now. I will not skip them. Just getting the test was an amazing amount of peace of mind, knowing that all of the tests are good.

Also decided that the 3x a week I spend about a half hour on the bike just aren't enough. So I think I'm going to get a pool pass at EGV Pavilion so I can swim in the mornings before work. It takes no time out of my morning commute since i pass by it every day. And it will burn far more than the bike will.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
Glad you were ok. I gotta get on the same boat. I get a physical every year, and other than my cholesterol and blood pressure bring on the high side of normal, everything is healthy except I'm overweight. I'm only 33 though, so I'm sure one day it will catch up to me.

I gotta kick myself in the ass to do what you're going to do and hit the pool or something before work.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
You are on the right path for sure with those changes. I would honestly go talk to your primary care doctor and let them know what is going on. It sounds to me like it is entirely stress induced. If you were having a big panic attack you heart rate would be way over 100bpm as well. Exercise is a great idea, but sometimes medication is useful if you are willing to go that path if the excercise didn't work. Also, I am not sure what labs they ran but usually there are a couple that are elevated or your EKG is strange to warrant a stress test.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Anxiety, brotha. Welcome to the club. I had a few nasty episodes and still deal with it on occasion; heart palpitations, too. Went through the full workup; blood, stress, cardiology. Panic attacks suck. They can be crippling. Exercise and eating better have helped me.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Ya. Been dealing with alot of that these past few months. Finally went against my own rules and got a low dosage of Xanax. I rarely take it but it's helped get things back under control and neutral. And has been a life saver when I feel that wave of panic coming.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's apparently something about getting older. I too have had a few, just thinking about flying in a plane sometimes gets me worked up. I just get in my own head and start freaking myself out. I haven't consulted a doctor as I have been able to calm myself down for the time being, but I probably should just to make sure I'm not a nutcase :rofl:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Heart monitor like a Fitbit might go a long way to giving you some peace of mind.

Stress ain't no joke. I've seen lots of people heavily impacted by panic attacks. As stated, talk to your primary care physician and see what they have to suggest. They really can address it.

Health is something we all need to pay attention to. I'm in shit shape personally right now. I got knocked down with back issues in Jan and haven't been able to work out since until just now. I'm finding it incredibly difficult to climb back on the wagon.

Stay healthy man. Glad you're ok and got it checked out.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Ya. Been dealing with alot of that these past few months. Finally went against my own rules and got a low dosage of Xanax. I rarely take it but it's helped get things back under control and neutral. And has been a life saver when I feel that wave of panic coming.

See, I've had stress at work before, but never anything that sent me into heart palpitations. And never anything so indirect. I've always been able to pinpoint the source. Usually its an idiot at work, and closing the door to my office and just venting to a co-worker is enough.

I've gotten angry at work before, though I've never had one of those rage outs. More like I finish my business with the person professionally, leave, and then call up a co-worker and bitch behind close doors.

Its literally the first anxiety attack I've ever had in my life. And I've decided I do not like it, not one bit. I'm usually so focussed. I've got a plan each morning for work. I know what tickets or projects I need to get done, and then proceed to get it done. Last week I couldn't get shit done. Could not concentrate on anything.

Just sitting at my desk, reading emails. Wasn't really comprehending them. I was instead hyper-focused on the feeling of my heart beating in my chest. Constantly questioning if it was beating too hard or too fast.

Do not like. But thankfully ever since the Screening and the results I'm feeling back to normal, even though I'm still possibly considering a stress test just to get a more detailed result.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I've had one panic attack in my entire life, and it only lasted a few seconds thankfully. Felt like the world was ending, and I have no idea what brought it on.

HDL is very hard to get within range for males, but you can try taking Niacin to bring it up. Niacin also has a cool side effect in that it increases the volume of your cum! Should help with the stress!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Glad you guys are OK. Health issues are scary.

Events like that can give you a better understanding of what it's like for people with chronic illnesses who are at risk every day of their lives. Next time you see a diabetic, cancer survivor, guy in a wheelchair, etc., give 'em a high five.

They'll think you're weird but everyone loves a high five.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Glad you guys are OK. Health issues are scary.

Events like that can give you a better understanding of what it's like for people with chronic illnesses who are at risk every day of their lives. Next time you see a diabetic, cancer survivor, guy in a wheelchair, etc., give 'em a high five.

They'll think you're weird but everyone loves a high five.

Self induced diseases, like type 2 diabetes, are quite preventable. If somebody gets off of their medication due to a lifestyle change they've earned my high five, but the dude that continues to eat McDonalds daily and take metformin does not.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
I've always been pretty healthy, except there has been a few issues with my stomach. I can't eat as much or consume a lot of fluids without feeling sick to my stomach.

I've been one to avoid all doctors. I don't even have a primary care physician...

This past month has been extremely stressful on me considering being out of work while trying to make ends meet.

Feel better my friend. One step at a time

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Anxiety, brotha. Welcome to the club. I had a few nasty episodes and still deal with it on occasion; heart palpitations, too. Went through the full workup; blood, stress, cardiology. Panic attacks suck. They can be crippling. Exercise and eating better have helped me.

This x100098098098904398347903479047034

OP, don't waste a penny on copays or doctor bills. Talk to someone about whats going on in your life, and consider something to take the edge off.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info