Looking to get first mountain bike

I'm tired of video games and jerking off every other day, so I've decided to get fit and get laid every other day instead. I've asked a friend for recommendations on a first mountain bike, and he gave me a couple:

26" wheel size
Disc brakes on both wheels
front shock absorber
lever shifters
27 speed

So I've gone to walmart and none like that are in stock, the walmart gentleman recommended me to go to Koslow Cycle, Inc. at North Ave. and Swift Rd in Lombard, so I go and the only thing near those recommendations its $550 without tax... any other stores or online sites I can look them up at?

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
I've got two Treks i just listed on ebay if you'd be interested. One is pretty much brand new, the other is in great condition. Think both are 26 inch wheels. Let me know if you'd be interested.

They aren't junk Walmart or Target bikes either, so keep that in mind, not going to give them away at walmart prices.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I'm tired of video games and jerking off every other day, so I've decided to get fit and get laid every other day instead. I've asked a friend for recommendations on a first mountain bike, and he gave me a couple:

26" wheel size
Disc brakes on both wheels
front shock absorber
lever shifters
27 speed

So I've gone to walmart and none like that are in stock, the walmart gentleman recommended me to go to Koslow Cycle, Inc. at North Ave. and Swift Rd in Lombard, so I go and the only thing near those recommendations its $550 without tax... any other stores or online sites I can look them up at?

Highly recommend Performance Bicycle in Lombard. Go in there, tell the guys what you want. They have $200 bikes, they have $2,000 bikes. Let them know your situation, have them let you ride a few and feel what works for you. IMHO, disc brakes are a waste of money at such an entry level, especially if you're not doing anything major to warrant them.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
I agree 1000% but not when you're likely going to use it for putzin' around and not truly utilizing them.

I wanted an inexpensive but decent bike for when I'm not on my road bike, I picked up one of these last year and I love it:

2014 Aggressor 3.0 - Recreational Hardtails - Mountain - Bikes - 2014 (Mine is red and white)

It was the perfect starting bike for me and I think I paid about $369 for it.

Dayum bro, you got rip off, at walmart bikes that have all that plus frontal disc brake are $170-$300

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Dayum bro, you got rip off, at walmart bikes that have all that plus frontal disc brake are $170-$300

And they probably weigh 3x as much and are built from shit that will break easier. I'm not sayin go out and spend a shit load, but you can't just look at features when comparing something like this. You need to look at quality. I've got a bike that I got from Sports Authority years ago. It does what I need, but when I get on a nice high quality bike I can tell the difference. Again this is har if you are just getting into it. I see not wanting to drop a ton of coin. That's where I would look used. If Venomus' bikes are as clean and well kept as his car I would jump on one of those.

Bob Kazamakis

Iā€™m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
you can get a solid entry level hardtail bike for $500-600$ dollars @ performance.. Disc brakes are amazing and you should get them... Also, may I suggest a 29 inch wheel. They make novice rides better and are very well suited to what northern I'll has to offer trail wise.. Even if you just ride pavement a 29 pays dividends in its characteristics it offers.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info