Basketball Shoes On Dusty Surfaces

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Not sure how many people on here even play basketball regularly, but I had some questions regarding basketball shoes on dusty surfaces.

So to start things off, I play on a makeshift court every single day at work on my lunch break. Unfortunately this court is in a warehouse, which consequently has dusty floors. I go over it before we play every time with a large broom, but it's a weird surface and remains dusty. The only way we get it really nice is we power wash the floor and squeegee it clean. That's a rare occasion as we only have so much time to play. I also play at a gym on Tuesday nights as well, nice waxed surface, but dust ruins it and they really don't have a nice efficient way to clean it.

Anyways, about 1-1/2 years ago I went to Nike to get some new basketball shoes. I picked two pairs by how soft the rubber on the bottom of the shoe was. Soft even on dusty surfaces should stick, right? As ugly as they are, the Nike hyperflights (pictured) were super sticky. Even before sweeping the floor they were sticky. They've seen better days, the soles are quite worn out and the rubber is noticeably much harder. Easily the most grippy shoes I've ever owned. Also, the ankle supports are amazing. Saved me from more than a lot of twisted ankles.

nike-zoom-hyperflight-shark.jpg

I can't find the other shoes that I picked out, I don't remember the name. Not really a big shoe fan... They were pretty grippy, but not as grippy (is that even a word?) as the Hyperflights. They were a little cheaper, but the the kid at the store recommended them. Should have bought 2 pairs of hyperflights. Damn.

Unfortunately they don't make them (hyperflights) anymore and the ones available are like $150. I saw some black ones at Nike on Wednesday, but the rubber was hard, so I passed on them. It seemed to me like the only super soft rubber Hyperflights were the ones like the picture. All of the other colors weren't the same, at least it didn't seem like it. I read reviews on these too and they complain there isn't enough grip with these shoes..?? Seems like reviews of how the shoes perform are ALL OVER the place. I need real life opinions.

Now, there are some threads on shoes, but most of the threads are old and the shoes don't even exist anymore.

So, what current shoes have a lot of grip? Grip on dusty surfaces, almost all of them grip well on a nice clean waxed floor. I couldn't care less about style, they're basketball shoes, that's what I use them for. They're going to get dirty and worn out.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yea, there are a boat load of them on Ebay at about $50-$75. Only problem is they're just as old, so they're going to be hard like the ones I saw at the Nike Store. I want something current, there's gotta be something better by now.

The Broken Regal

BITE BITE, SIP SIP
TCG Premium
Jun 26, 2007
Wheaton
I had good success when I was playing on dusty/no grip courts using nike trainer shoes, like half basketball half food type shoes where the bottom had less of a solid surface like bball shoes and more like studs like you are talking about. I don't have that problem at lifetime as much so I haven't work those trainers in years, but worth looking into and I know they have them at the outlets off Farnsworth in the Nike store

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I'll look at those, but back in the day I used shoes like that and I tore them up in no time. And the best part about a basketball focused shoe (most of them) is the ankle support. I am not opposed to using those ankle braces, but they're rather uncomfortable.

They are raving this type of shoe to be rather traction focused. :noes:

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
BTW, this is the other shoe. Really tight around the middle of the foot but they offer good support. But like i said, just doesn't have the grip of the other shoes. These are my go-to shoes when I play outside or on Tuesday nights.

Nike-Zoom-Hyperdisruptor-Blackened-BlueBright-Citrus.png

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
They had tons of the hyperflights at the nike outlet a couple weeks back. I got a pair for $35! As for playing on dusty area's.... you might as well be playing on ice. You could slip at any moment.

I'm a sneakerhead, When I'm playing I have a couple different choices.. #1 Nike Air Penny V, #2 Hyperflights or #3 Reebok The Rail

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Well it was ice until I got those hyperflights. They gripped a dusty floor very well. I was able to cut pretty hard and put on the brakes for separation no problem. Now that they're older and the rubber is wearing out I'm starting to slide around.

Watched the Air Penny review... this might be my shoe. He said no matter how dusty it was he was able to get plenty of grip and the dust doesn't stick to it :noes: :fy:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info