2014 Chicago Bears Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
As the Bears off-season progresses, I will update this thread with free-agent signings/resignings, draft analysis, off-season needs, trades, etc. This information is from walterfootball.com, which I find very good because it has good analysis, not a lot of BS, and is constantly being updated with signings, mock drafts, free agents, etc.

2014 Off-Season Moves
Bears sign QB Jimmy Clausen
Patriots sign OLB James Anderson
Browns sign WR Earl Bennett
Bears sign WR Josh Morgan
Steelers sign P Adam Podlesh
Bears sign C Brian De La Puente
Buccaneers sign S Major Wright
Bears re-sign OT Eben Britton
Giants sign CB Zackary Bowman
Bears sign DE Jared Allen
Vikings sign DE Corey Wootton
Falcons sign KR Devin Hester
Bears re-sign CB Sherrick McManis
Cowboys sign DT Henry Melton
Bears sign S Danny McCray
Bears re-sign S Craig Steltz
Bears sign DE Israel Idonije
Bears cut WR Earl Bennett
Packers sign DE Julius Peppers
Bears re-sign CB Charles Tillman
Bears re-sign TE Dante Rosario
Bears sign DE Willie Young
Bears sign WR Domenik Hixon
Bears sign S M.D. Jennings
Buccaneers sign QB Josh McCown
Bears cut DE Julius Peppers
Bears re-sign ILB D.J. Williams
Bears sign S Ryan Mundy
Bears sign DE Lamarr Houston
Bears sign OLB Jordan Senn
Bears cut RB Michael Bush
Bears re-sign DT Nate Collins
Bears re-sign QB Jodan Palmer
Bears sign DE Trevor Scott
Bears re-sign DT Jay Ratliff
Bears cut P Adam Podlesh
Bears re-sign CB Kelvin Hayden
Bears cut TE Dante Rosario
Bears re-sign C Roberto Garza

Undrafted Free Agent Signings

James Dunbar, OT, TCU
Brandon Dunn, DT, Louisville
D.J. Foster, WR, SE Missouri
Christian Jones, LB, Florida State
Jesse Joseph, DE, Connecticut
DeDe Lattimore, LB, South Florida
Jordan Lynch, QB, Northern Illinois
Tana Patrick, LB, Alabama
Lee Pegues, DE/DT, East Carolina

Team Needs:

Two Safeties: Major Wright is a free agent. Chris Conte, well, I don't think Chicago fans are going to forget his ineptitude in the win-and-in season finale anytime soon. Signed Ryan Mundy, MD Jennings, Danny McCray, Re-sign Craig Steltz, Drafted Brock Vareen

Defensive Tackle: Henry Melton is a free agent. He's coming off a poor season with some off-the-field incidents, so perhaps the Bears can re-sign him cheaply. If not, the 14th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft could be used on this position. Re-signed Jay Ratliff and Nate Collins, Drafted Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton

Two Cornerbacks: Chicago was able to re-sign Tim Jennings, but Charles Tillman will need to be replaced, as his contract has expired. Two corners have to be added: One as a new starter, and the second one for depth. There will be lots of options this May. Re-signed Kelvin Hayden, Charles Tillman, Sherrick McManis, and Tim Jennings, Drafted Kyle Fuller

Strongside Linebacker: The Bears had major issues at linebacker this past season. Lance Briggs was hurt, while Jon Bostic struggled, though he was a second-round rookie, so he can improve. The team's greatest liability was at the strongside position with James Anderson. Signed Jordan Senn

Defensive End: Julius Peppers, coming off a disappointing 7.5-sack campaign, counts more than $18 million against the cap. It's sounding like he could be let go. If that's the case, a replacement will be needed. Signed Lamarr Houston, Israel Idonije, Trevor Scott, Jared Allen, and Willie Young

Center: Roberto Garza is a 35-year-old free agent. The Bears will obviously need a new center if they can't retain him. Re-signed Roberto Garza and signed Brian De La Puente

Running Back Depth: Michael Bush was released, so depth is needed here. Drafted Ka'Deem Carey

Right Tackle: Jordan Mills struggled last season, but he was a mere fifth-round rookie, so he'll be given another chance. Re-signed Ebon Britton, Drafted Charles Leno

Tight End Depth: Dante Rosario is a free agent. Depth will have to be obtained behind Martellus Bennett. Re-signed Dante Rosario....again

Punter: The Bears released Adam Podlesh. Drafted Pat O'Donnell

Last edited:

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I wanted to open up the discussion on the Bears off-season needs. Looking at the list of Bears free agents, Emery has his work cut out for him. Lots of people to sign, lots of holes to fill, and a lot of familiar players that I don't think will be back for the 2014 campaign.

Offense
- Need TE depth, another receiving TE would be nice, but need some blocking depth as well.
- Need a starting center, Roberto Garza is old but still serviceable although is a free agent. He may command more money as he is one of the top free agent centers this off-season, do you burn a early day 2 draft pick on a guard/center or wait until next years draft and resign Garza for a year?
-Need tackle depth, with Mills and Bushrod the starting tackles for this coming year, and Jake Long in the process of making the move, it seems the Bears are in a good position. Resigning Eben Britton and Jonathan Scott to small contracts would seem a logical move or signing a couple cheap backups.
-Need QB depth. With Cutler resigned for the foreseeable future and Josh McCown a free agent it's time to take a look at signing a veteran backup or trying to find a late round backup project. McCown, given his performance for the bears, may be an off-season commodity commanding more money than the Bears may be willing to pay considering the large contract just given to Cutler. Although it may be nice to keep McCown as he is a capable backup, that knows the system, and works well with Cutler, it just may not be an option. Jordan Palmer could be resigned as he is more familiar with the system or they can work out any number of young and old QB's as there are a plethora.
WR's are one spot the Bears, almost oddly, have almost no needs. Marshall and Jeffery are slated to be nearly unstoppable again, and the Bears have good depth with Earl Bennett, Eric Weems, and Marquees Wilson (a last round draft pick, who plummeted on draft boards because he "quit on his team" but more likely had a falling out with the coach. He was a multiple All-Pac 10 award winner, and Washington State receiving record holder, and personally someone I could get really excited about seeing play)

Defense
Do I really need to go through the entire thing? Every position needs depth badly with most positions needing at least 1 starter.

-Defensive end need depth badly, injuries and poor performance have really set this position back. Peppers does not have the explosion and closing speed he once had, Corey Wootton was moved to tackle mid-season for some reason, and Shea has been mediocre at best and may be moved to OLB. Quality depth is needed, and the current depth is extremely inadequate. This should be an area the Bears should look at spending at least 1 or 2 picks in the draft on.
-Defensive Tackle - Hello, hellohelloHello is anyone still there? Melton is probably going to be shown the door, especially coming off of season ending surgery/injury. The Bears have a slim hope that other teams are scared off by this and we can get him cheap, as he still can be a top defensive tackle. The rest of the "depth" at defensive tackle was atrocious, and there was probably good reason that Wootton was brough in to bolster this area. This should be a top need in the draft, and spending their #14 pick on a quality defensive tackle would be a wise choice, given how bad their run defense was.
-Cornerback needs at least one more starter signed and some depth. Tillman and Jennings were a solid starting corner tandem. Tillman was starting to show his age, and seemed to have lost a step. Bears did well in locking up Jennings, but I'm not sure they'll resign Tillman given his age, his issues with injuries as of late, and recent rumors of him wanting to defect to Tampa to be with Lovie. Zack Bowman showed some signs of life here and there, but was flagged in crucial points on numerous occasions, he still could be resigned for quality depth. Isaiah Frey also seemed to do a decent job coming in, and should be with the team. With that said, if there is decent talent still on the board coming rounds 2 or 3, the Bears may want to pick up a potential starter or someone they feel could be a future starter, given how pass happy the NFC North has become. But as the Bears almost always do, can find some depth in the later rounds.
-Linebacker needs 1 maybe 2 starters. Is Bostic really ready for the bigtime? I know he was adequate this year, but really struggled shedding blocks, sticking to his assignments and gaps, and generally stopping the run. DJ Williams is a free agent, is injury prone and was merely OK when actually playing, I don't see the Bears resigning him, unless they bring him back as a starter to develop Bostic more. Briggs is still there, he will be a starter and hopefully can stay healthy. He's getting old, and it might be good to start looking at a replacement. Kasheem Greene was pretty inadequate coming in, suffering many of the same problems Bostic did. James Anderson is a free agent, and his play was adequate although never seemed to be stellar, I could see the Bears resigning him as he could be a serviceable starter. The Bears may need to start looking in free agency for quality depth, and may look in the draft for a quality strong side linebacker, maybe early day 2 draft if there is quality still on the board.
-Safeties need a complete revamp. I still contend that Conte's issues are completely his fault, and he is trying to makeup for the talent issues ahead of him. Major Wright is a bust, and should be let go in free agency, or resigned to a minimum contract as depth. Craig Steltz is a backup safety, should never/will never be a starter, and could be signed for depth. But still the Bears need at least 1 starting safety, if not two. The draft is an option and there seems to be some quality talent in 2 through 4th rounds. Still a veteran free agent signing or two, at least through camp would not be a bad idea.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
One thing the Bears have going for them is belief in Trestman and the Coaches. A few players are still upset about Lovey leaving but most see the potential Trestman and staff bring to the Bears. That attitude will help keep players in Chicago.

I'd be surprised if this draft was not Defense, Defense, Defense.

It hinges on what happens with Shea. If he is serviceable as a LB, that fills one LB spot. I believe Williams will be resigned. When he was playing the Bears D was much better than after he got hurt. Bostic was dumped into a starting role as a rookie which is hard for any NFL player. Hopefully he learns and grows into the LB he has the potential to be.

If Shea switches to LB, first pick in the draft will be a D lineman if any great ones are left. 2nd pick should be Safety/CB.

I'd resign Garza for stability on the O-line. They're growing together and he's a veteran influence. Probably depends on how high the market price is for him.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Might as well put coaching moves in here, too.

Bears have decided to keep DC Mel Tucker but fire D line and LB position coaches.

Mel Tucker came under fire for the Chicago Bears' struggles on defense this season, but he will remain as defensive coordinator, the team announced Sunday.

The Bears have dismissed defensive line coach Mike Phair and linebackers coach Tim Tibesar.

“We thank Mike and Tim for their effort and dedication,” coach Marc Trestman said in a statement. “They are men of high character and integrity. These are not easy decisions and we do not attribute our lack of success on defense to two individuals. We need to improve in all areas defensively and that will be a focal point for us this offseason. The process starts with me as the head coach. Our search for a defensive line and linebackers coach has begun and we will be looking for the best candidates whose experience can bring the most out of our veteran and young players in both areas."

Mel Tucker will remain as Chicago Bears defensive coodinator - chicagotribune.com

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Tucker deserves one more year. Let him run his defense. Not let the players run Lovies.

If the Bears are still last in run defense at the end of next year, clean house on the defensive side.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
It really was sad to see the Bears go from one of the best defenses last season to probably the worst in the NFL this season. Bears allowed more points than any team in the NFL this season.

Had they had last years defense with this years offense, this would have been a SB team.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
37906341.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

this is nothing new. Martellus joined BnB on the score Mondays @ 5pm ( during the regular season ) and he mentioned several times about wanting to play with his brother and how he would be more than happy to "recruit" him to the bears.

Mike Mulligan asked him yesterday @ media day if he would want to play with his brother and come to the Bears.

he was careful with his answer but it was obvious that he would be willing to play here.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
The couple mocks I've seen have them taking Oklahoma State's corner Justin Gilbert. I've seen safeties mocked to them too. I would much rather see an athletic defensive lineman up there though. If there is no one at DL that has graded out that high, I have no problem with them going with the best defensive player on the board. They need help at all positions.

The Bears can go with the best defensive player available. They need to improve their secondary, and it looks like Charles Tillman will be allowed to leave in free agency. Chicago must have talent at corner to compete in the NFC North.

In 2013, Gilbert recorded seven interceptions, 42 tackles, seven passes broken up and one kick returned for a touchdown. He had an interception returned 31 yards for a touchdown against Iowa State and a 41-yard pick-six against Texas. Gilbert returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown against Kansas. He finished the season with some clutch performances. The 6-foot, 194-pounder has some size and ball skills.

Gilbert had an excellent sophomore campaign in 2011 with 59 tackles, 10 passes broken up and five interceptions. He averaged 27 yards per kick return over 2010-11. Gilbert recorded 63 tackles, nine passes defensed and averaged 26 yards per kick return in 2012. He performed well against former Baylor wide receiver Terrance Williams.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
They really need to keep Charles Tillman... Don't let him get away.

I think Tillman is playing a smart bargaining game. He's going for the $$.

All things being equal, I'd take a D lineman in Round 1 over a comparable Safety or Corner. Franchise D linemen are hard to get and with pick 14 the Bears can probably get one of the best. If there's a run on D linemen ahead of them, then think about one of the other D positions instead. 14 should = franchise player.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
A recent mock has the Bears taking 'Bama's Haha Clinton-Dix

The Bears will be going with the top defensive player available who makes sense for them, and by my estimation, that's HaHa Clinton-Dix. Chicago has a huge void at the safety position; Major Wright is a free agent, while Chris Conte's ineptitude was quite apparent in the win-and-in season finale versus the Packers.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Latest mock draft from my go-to guy

1st Chicago Bears: HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
The Bears will be going with the top defensive player available who makes sense for them, and by my estimation, that's HaHa Clinton-Dix. Chicago has a huge void at the safety position; Major Wright is a free agent, while Chris Conte's ineptitude was quite apparent in the win-and-in season finale versus the Packers.

2nd Chicago Bears: Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
Chicago was able to re-sign Tim Jennings recently, but Charles Tillman's contract is expiring soon. The Bears have to deal with Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford twice per year, so they'll definitely look to upgrade their secondary with multiple selections.

3rd Chicago Bears: Anthony Johnson, DT, LSU
Henry Melton, an impending free agent, tore his ACL earlier in the season and was recently arrested for misdemeanor assault. This could make it easier for the Bears to keep him, but they'll need a replacement if he walks.

4th Chicago Bears: De'Anthony Thomas, RB, Oregon
Matt Forte had 363 touches last year. The Bears may want to bring in another running back who can do similar things in the passing game just to give Forte a break.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Clinton Dix is the best Safety in the draft. He'd help the team.

I'm remembering back to the year the Bears drafted Urlacher (#13 I think?). If ILB C.J. Mosley (Alabama) doesn't get taken at 12 by the Giants, Bears might have to think about him. He's like a magnet drawn to the ball and he hits hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoep15cF_aU

bmoore04

TCG Elite Member
Jul 30, 2010
Winfield IL
Clinton Dix is the best Safety in the draft. He'd help the team.

I'm remembering back to the year the Bears drafted Urlacher (#13 I think?). If ILB C.J. Mosley (Alabama) doesn't get taken at 12 by the Giants, Bears might have to think about him. He's like a magnet drawn to the ball and he hits hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoep15cF_aU

Mosley is incredibly talented. He also was in charge of calling audibles on defense all season to counter anything the offense did. I like Haha also but I think his value might be inflated a little due to the lack of other talented safetys in the draft.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I mean, I understand going top defensive player with their 1st pick, but I really hope they don't go LB again, to many other glaring holes. With a year under Bostic's belt, he should get better. Sounds like they may keep Anderson? He's not a great LB, but seems serviceable. Obviously Briggs will be there, and hopefully he can stay healthy, only question will be is whether they try and move him inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info