Site Sponsor Gav Details v. So long Wolfgang

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
The truck was coated with Wolfgang Uber Ceramic coating October of 2016.
It held up well. I used Iron X once last year before I switched to CarPro Reset as my main car shampoo. I noticed the lower sections of the truck weren't as hydrophobic anymore ( spring time ). So roughly 18 months out of the WG. Not bad, while my truck is washed regularly, it is not garaged and I drive 30 miles one way to work ( which means winter beats it up ).

I thought about trying something new, I figured I would make some new videos... Gtechniq ? Gyeon ? I ultimately decided on the Cquartz UK 3.0 because I've applied it before and its very user friendly.

2 areas of bird poop seemed to etch the paint. The poop was on the hood for less than 10 hours and cleaned as soon as I got home. I was concerned about the possibility of wet sanding. Thankfully a 3.5" MF cutting pad and Menzerna FG400 did the trick.

On to the process:

IronX
Presoak with Gyeon
Wash with CG citrus wash and gloss
Clay with CG fine clay mitt and Nanoskin glide
I then drove the truck to my parents house where I could work in a garage.
I used Ultima rinseless wash to wipe the truck down.
Menzerna SF3500, orange LC polishing pad via the Rupes LHR15 Mark II
Smaller areas, PC7424XP and a 4" white polishing pad
CarPro Eraser for the panel wipe
1 heavy coat of Cquartz UK 3.0
CarPro Reload about 2 hours afterwards to help with any water spots in the 1st 24 hours.
Wheel well trim, mirrors and bed rail caps received CarPro DLux trim coating

I left the truck at my parents house in the garage over night.
No tire shine in these pics:

xIfYPul.jpg

w6Okh99.jpg

MF Birds:
to the left of the light in the reflection
W72TZVy.jpg

to the right of the light:
OsBMVaz.jpg

cPtDsux.png

And removed:
3FWq662.jpg

tXFfQRP.png

UgJZGF8.jpg

And after 18 hours:

Mfsr0XO.jpg

2fzPlRI.jpg

KrDJfnV.jpg

d1zklLs.jpg

cTn5niq.jpg

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

thanks Kev !

Looking killer! That color is sweet.

Thanks Jim, This color was top on my list... thankfully once I sold the 77 and the Frontier, there were still a few out there :jg:

Looks awesome, what’s the application of the ceramic coating like I’ve never messed with it before but I’ve started to think about trying it

It's more time consuming that a wax or sealant since you work a section at a time, wait for it to "flash" and then remove the leftover residue.

"high" spots are what you want to be careful with... a high spot looks like a rainbow discoloration. Most consumer level products can be polished away and the coating reapplied.
Gtechniq mentions the need for wetsanding if the high spot is really bad.

Nice! Were there still areas that had ceramic coating remaining? If so, was it the clay mitt or the buffing that removed it?

I'm surprised the coating didn't better protect the hood from bird poop

I would say the coating was not 100% gone since the truck would still bead rain and washing / rinsing. When I rinsed a panel after using the mitt, the water was slower to sheet.

Most coatings will be removed with the polishing step. I had zero bonding issues when applying the new coating.

As for the bird poop, maybe it etched what was left of the coating ?
Not sure, I was pretty pissed when I removed the droppings to find the etching. FML was muttered several times
Morning dew on the truck this AM, by the time i got on 90, the hood was dry :fy:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
Truck looks incredible!

Are you doing stuff on the side still? Might need to get my Moms new van in for a good cleaning and ceramic coating before winter comes....

the weather is quickly going down the shitter but yes I still do things on the side.

I have a few people on the list as tentative for the next few weeks.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info