đź’¦ Detailing Black paint.. Any tips?

Pewter-Camaro

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2011
South of Wisconsin.
ok I've always have White cars or My Pewter Z28 which basically don't show a damn thing in the paint and really shine with a basic clay bar, polish, wax routine but... I now have a 2017 Colorado and its Black. Looks wicked when clean but I washed it today for the first time and damn.. there is some haze already. What would it take to get the paint really nice? Any Tips on how to keep it at its best?

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Have it buffed back to perfect and ceramic coat it. Other than that, I would never own a black car if you like a perfect finish. It will show swirls after the first hand wash.

Once you get it back to how you like the paint, you could always 2 bucket wash it or use a foam cannon to prevent rubbing grit across the surface like sandpaper. Get a good pressure washer and use that before hand washing it. Might help remove some grit from the paint surface. Really, the paint needs a hard and solid protection in order to keep grit from sticking to it and then being rubbed into the clear coat and creating those swirls. Hit up Kevin at next level detailing and have him get the black back to perfect and ceramic coat it. Upkeep should be easier after that.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
I would have to agree.
Clay, polish to correct any imperfections and apply a coating.

your wash / dry routine will determine how well it stays in good shape ( swirls, scratches etc ).

not sure what the new Chevy paint is like. The coating on my truck has held up well... not too many swirls detected a year later.
but, it's a lighter color, so they are less noticeable as well

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
You have to make as little contact with the paint as possible. Everything will leave a little scratch in the clear. If you can dry/pre-dry with air, do it. Highest quality mitts, and when you do dry, get a waffle weave and pad the paint, don’t swipe. The key is keeping contaminants off, so two bucket for sure. Any dirt swirled into the paint (drying or washing) will scratch and start to make those halo scratches and reflections. I use a black paint wax, which has a little polish effect to it that’s good for between polish maintenance.

Dawg

Mar 10, 2005
Another tip I forgot about that is important especially for black cars. When washing or waxing, don't use a circular motion. Use a straight front to back motion with your mitt washing and also the applicator and micro fibers when waxing and you will not create swirls to begin with.

I currently own two black cars and have owned plenty in the last 25 years and it works. Bought the wife a ZX2 in June of 1997 and she drove that car for 18 years before we gave it to one of our daughters. It's going on 21 now and still runs great and the paint looks fabulous with no rust.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info