đź’¦ Detailing Review - FLEX XC 3401

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Review – FLEX XC 3401 Polisher

From the manufacturer:

The orbital rotation of this innovative polisher simulates the circular movement of the human hand while polishing. At the same time, the polisher’s highly smooth running facilitates a careful, precise finish and even offers what is necessary for hologram-free polishing. That’s just what this polisher, with its ergonomically designed knob handle, was made for. The positive drive ensures a uniform movement, even under load, thanks to constant lift. Taken in conjunction with the large stroke length there is also the possibility of removing existing holograms from black finishes. Thanks to the direct orbital drive, very little heat develops on the surface, which is ideally suited to temperature-sensitive finishes. The accelerator trigger switch and speed selection allow for a controlled acceleration to the optimal speed. Note: the machine’s orbital movement has been optimally adapted for the special back pad included with it.

Pros:

-Seems very sturdy and well built
-Accelerator trigger has a nice ramping up feel to it
-Terrific correction ability and power without causing imperfections or overheating the paint
-Ergonomic bale handle and controls
-25ft cord – I don’t need an extension cord in most cases

Cons:
-Price is a bit high for a hobbyist, but its worth it. For a pro its a no brainer, you need this machine.
-Counter Clockwise rotation is taken a little getting used to.

I hope it lasts with daily use because this is my new favorite tool in my detailing arsenal.

Read my full review here - Review - FLEX XC 3401

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
Good write-up.

I agree on pretty much all accounts. The Flex is one mean machine and kicks serious butt.

Definitely on the more expensive side, but, well worth it.

I find the trigger hold to be tricky to get used to, but, as far as ergonomics, it's fairly light for it's size and easy to hold.

You can certainly feel the power as it does want to pull you at higher speeds, usually above speed setting 4-5. That is something you get used to, though.

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
I love mine...

Back when shopping, I debated for awhile between it and the Bosch or maybe it was Porter-Cable counterpart (which is cheaper), and figured that since when I buy tools, I buy them once, I'd spend the extra now.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Good write-up.

I agree on pretty much all accounts. The Flex is one mean machine and kicks serious butt.

Definitely on the more expensive side, but, well worth it.

I find the trigger hold to be tricky to get used to, but, as far as ergonomics, it's fairly light for it's size and easy to hold.

You can certainly feel the power as it does want to pull you at higher speeds, usually above speed setting 4-5. That is something you get used to, though.

Yeah it caught me a bit off guard with the power at high speeds. It def wants to pull a bit, esp with a more aggressive, thicker polish. I tried some Ardex Smartcut with it and it really took some muscle to keep it where I wanted it. Then I skipped the more aggressive step and went straight to the 3D polish and got the same final result so didn't even need to do it. I don't see myself even touching my Dewalt unless a vehicle has a ton of deep scratches. I do have a black civic this weekend with a big long deep one on the trunk. Going to really put this thing to the test and see how it will come out without a rotary.

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
The other nice thing I like is the trigger. It's not just full on/full off. You can gradually increase speed, whereas other trigger type polishers/grinders I've used, the moment you hit the trigger, it's full on.

It definitely pulls with a thicker polish. I do like the fact that even after hours of continuous use, the Flex barely heats up, whereas a PC or Griots DA, even a DeWallt I used, would get fairly hot after 15-20 minutes of use.

I am really considering to keep my Flex and just get the Rupes to have all three, then later on, invest in the iBrid for the really small trim panel pieces and hard to get spots.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info