đź’¦ Detailing Detailing experts please chime in

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Been using a Harbor Freight DA with Lake County backing plate last year or so to get re acclimated to paint correction as I hadnt really done it in a very long time. Mostly been doing friends and family cars for beer, food and have made a few bucks. I'm ready to step it up and start charging for my services and I'm going to buy either a better DA or a rotary polisher. For a DA I'm looking at the Flex XC3401 and for the rotary I'm looking at Flex L3403.

What are your thoughts on both machines, or should I be looking at something else?
Also how easy is it to burn or damage paint with the rotary polisher? I buffed cars for about 5 years with a high speed buffer and wool pad working at Ziebart when I was in my early 20's and never fucked up anyones paint. I think and I could be wrong, but as long as I use same technique as I did with the high speed buffer and wool pad I should be okay.

Thanks in advance

Grabber

Oh Hai
Dec 11, 2007
Wheeling, IL
I prefer the Flex over the PC, Griots Garage, HF and Rupes.

Flex does have a Rotary, but, the 3401 is a Forced Action DA.

It cuts the time in half compared to a PC, Harbor Freight or Griots Garage DA.

It is much more powerful, louder, heavier and can drag you across the car if you let it. But, well worth it in my honest opinion. I've got a lot of hours out of my Flex and it still runs great and I'll never part ways with it.

The Rupes is a more precise version of the flex and is very easy to use. But, the Flex is the best all around polisher money can buy.

Rotary's will rip through your paint easily if you are not paying attention. The Flex 3401 can as well, but, it is a bit more forgiving in comparison.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Never tried the flex's but have heard whats been posted here basically. I have been partial to my PC DA and Dewalt rotary. Don't be scarred of the rotary, start at a lower speed like 1500-1800 and work your way up. Keep it moving all the time and dont sit on one spot and over heat it. Its not easy to burn through the clear on most panels, more so when you are trying to get close to something and slip and touch with that dry outer edge. That will cut into rubber, plastic, through clear and paint with the quickness.

I could help ya out if you want to wait till mid July.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Pretty sure I'm going to buy the Flex 3401 as I asked same question on a few other forums and that seams to be the go to DA.

Kevin,
Will take you up on the offer, as the rotary' don't look to be that expensive. Can buy that at a later time, after I make some money using the Flex. Would be nice to have Botha DA and rotary

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info