Memory - DDR2 2GB Kit

PC2-4200 DDR2 533MHz CAS-4

This is not the "cheap" stuff, this RAM is highly touted and works flawlessly.

To find out if this memory will work in your computer, go to: http://crucial.com and use the memory advisor tool..

I'm looking to get $30 for the memory, if you want it shipped, add $5

Here are pics of the memory (yes it comes in a wood box):
memoryddr.jpg

memoryddr2.jpg

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
That was a great price for 2 gigs of memory. I do have a question though (off topic). I'm considering selling my 2 gigs of memory as well in order to purchase a 4 gig upgrade.

I clicked on the link you provided and it says that my DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies are PC2-4200 and PC2-5300. What does that mean? And can I go up to the PC2-6400?

Plus I noticed that the different memory sticks are DDR2-533, DDR2-667, and DDR2-800....what does that mean?

Thanks in advance!
Craig

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
That was a great price for 2 gigs of memory. I do have a question though (off topic). I'm considering selling my 2 gigs of memory as well in order to purchase a 4 gig upgrade.

I clicked on the link you provided and it says that my DDR2 SDRAM Frequencies are PC2-4200 and PC2-5300. What does that mean? And can I go up to the PC2-6400?

Plus I noticed that the different memory sticks are DDR2-533, DDR2-667, and DDR2-800....what does that mean?

Thanks in advance!
Craig

You need to match the memory speed to the bus speed.

I think you take the base bus and multiply it by 2, then usually choose 1 speed faster. Thats what I have always done at least.

Example; a Pentium Core 2 Duo with a FSB of 1333mhz has a base bus of 333mhz, the exact match would be ddr2-667, but u would go up one step to ddr2-800.

Dont take my word though, I am still confused over this! It used to be so easy in years ago. Or maybe I have just been out of the loop.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969

It means your system requires PC2-4200 memory... and since PC2-5300 is backwards compatible to PC2-4200 spec, you can use that as well..

you should see no benefit using PC2-5300 over 4200...
so get whichever one is cheaper.

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
Thanks Jack, I'll keep that in mind when I buy my new memory.

svtslowcar, you brought up a good point. I don't think anyone can get the benefits of going from 2 to 4 gigs unless you have a 64 bit OS. When I had my system built, I chose to go with XP Professional 64.

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005

svtslowcar, you brought up a good point. I don't think anyone can get the benefits of going from 2 to 4 gigs unless you have a 64 bit OS. When I had my system built, I chose to go with XP Professional 64.

I think you would still benefit going from 2 to 4, because although it probably won't recognize and make use of all 4GB, it will see and use more than 2GB.

Sep 17, 2005

good choice stick with XP, and Jack/Wizdawg are right you wont see the full benefits of 4 gig. But it should still recognize or make use of 3-1/2 to 3-3/4. Vista still has too amny problems as of now, hence the reason Microsoft extended the sale of windows XP edition to june of 08'.

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
good choice stick with XP, and Jack/Wizdawg are right you wont see the full benefits of 4 gig. But it should still recognize or make use of 3-1/2 to 3-3/4. Vista still has too amny problems as of now, hence the reason Microsoft extended the sale of windows XP edition to june of 08'.

I won't see the full benefits of 4 gigs, why not? I have a 64 bit OS.

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
OK, I need your guys help once again. I went to go and purchase my 4 gig upgrade today. I was originally told to buy (4) 1 gb sticks to take up all four memory card slots. Now when I went to purchase them, I was told it is better to buy (2) 2 gb sticks. Is it really better to buy the 2 gig sticks?:dunno:

wizdawg

TCG Elite Member
May 1, 2005
OK, I need your guys help once again. I went to go and purchase my 4 gig upgrade today. I was originally told to buy (4) 1 gb sticks to take up all four memory card slots. Now when I went to purchase them, I was told it is better to buy (2) 2 gb sticks. Is it really better to buy the 2 gig sticks?:dunno:

Performance wise, as long as they are all the same, or at least matched pairs, I don't think it matters. Maybe they suggest 2GB sticks so that you can upgrade down the road without having to toss your old ones.

Kegger

Addict
Jun 23, 2005
Performance wise, as long as they are all the same, or at least matched pairs, I don't think it matters. Maybe they suggest 2GB sticks so that you can upgrade down the road without having to toss your old ones.

Thanks for your help. I called my friend who said I should buy 4 sticks of 1 gig. Now I know why he said that.....the most my motherboard can take per memory slot is 1024 mb.

Sep 17, 2005
Thanks for your help. I called my friend who said I should buy 4 sticks of 1 gig. Now I know why he said that.....the most my motherboard can take per memory slot is 1024 mb.

1024 mb = 1Gig. so you could still do that. i have also read that 4 individual sticks is better then having 2 sticks with 2 gig on each of them. not really sure why, there was no performance compariosn on this to back this up.

Thread Info