Sony CDX-M8815X

Crutchfield has a decent deal on this Sony head unit. $229.99. which approaches Ebay prices [add the Ebay shipping and they're almost identical which is great for Crutchfield]. Crutchfield also includes car specific instructions and a basic install kit for no extra cost.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FIWdg72hpKI/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?I=158CDXM881&wm=cl

h158CDXM881-f_LD.jpeg
h158CDXM881-o_FL_L.jpeg

I've done a little research and here's what I've found.

I wasn't very impressed with Sony in the past. Their car audio stuff usually sucks. Alpine and Pioneer make better head units. However, several people who have this unit seem to like it and it has a built in EQ, 3 pre-amps, hi pass/low pass, and other useful features at a relatively low price. The votes on the car audio sites seem split between junk and decent depending on who is talking.

My question is do any of you have this unit? Any knowledgable reviews of it? The price is right, it has a lot of bells and whistles [includes blank face plate when off. rotating control panel, and remote. Video graphics on face plate.] I'm looking to get rid of the Mach 460 and upgrade, not make an audiophile system at this time. I already have Rockford Fosgate Q separates [6 1/2s and 5 1/4s as well as tweeters], a couple Kenwood amps and Bazooka tube sub so I'm thinking of just adding these and the Sony HU. Opinions? [I know the Sony isn't as good as a top of the line Alpine. I don't want to spend $500+ at this time.]

1badass96gt

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2004
I've always liked my JVC. I got an oped box deal on a nicer piece they had a few years ago. I know a lot of people that have had Sony. Its cheap and has the design it does because it is marketed towards teens. They generally arent' very good at all. I'd keep my stock piece till I found something better.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I agree 100% with you guys that Sony generally sucks. This model, however, seems to be a step above their usual crap according to reviews on the car audio sites. Specs are much better than their older products.

» CD/MP3 receiver with built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS/52 peak x 4 channels)
» plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs (including discs loaded with MP3 and ATRAC3plus files)
» EQ7 (7-band equalizer and 7 preset tone curves)
» Active Black Panel faceplate
» BBE MP (restores detail and warmth lost to music files during compression)
» CEA-2006 Compliant amplifier
» Dynamic Soundstage Organizer for a better defined soundstage
» 4-volt front, rear, and subwoofer preamp outputs
» XM Satellite Radio controls (XM subscription, tuner, and antenna required to receive the satellite radio signal) — service is available only in the lower 48 states, not available in Alaska, Hawaii, or U.S. territories
» Aux Lite auxiliary input
» CD changer controls
» wireless remote
» clock
» 18 FM/12 AM presets
» seek tuning
» CD frequency response: 10-20,000 Hz
» CD signal-to-noise ratio: 120 dB
» FM sensitivity: 9 dBf
» warranty: 2 years

Like I said, I know it's not as good at SQ as an Alpine. However, Alpine's newer stuff isn't as good as their older stuff and I would pay at least twice as much for a comparable Spec. Alpine. If I buy this puppy, I can put the system in the car and later will have an easy upgrade to an Alpine/MB Quart/Rockford Fosgate or similar type of set up. I just want to get rid of the Mach system. The excessive mid range is annoying. So start saying good things about this unit because I want to buy it... :D

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
I have worked at Circuit City, in the car audio department for 2 1/2 years. In the past we have sold Similar radios, and I have seen many sonys just like this one come back very frequently for service. Yes they look nice when they are closed but when you open it you only have that little tiny ass display, and the menu's on that radio are kind of hard to get used to and navigate. I had a Pioneer for a few years, worked good until it started over heating because a chip on the motherboard broke. I bought a Alpine, CDA-9813, and have had it for about 2 years now and have never thought about buying a new radio. Alpine is the way to go!! Yes they are pricy but they have so many good features that other companies dont offer!!

*Time Correction-You can set a time delay on your speakers because you sit closest to the drivers side front and farthest from passenger side rear. You can adjust it so that the music all hits you at the same time.
*Bass Focus-You can adjust each individual speaker in relation to how much bass you want coming from it.

Plus many more options.

In the long run it may be better to go with the Alpine's if your serious about your sound.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
OK, all you guys are telling me to leave it alone and look elsewhere... So I bought it. :D

I'm not looking for a $4,000 system, just an improvement on the Mach 460. Instead of spending the big bucks to put a great system in, I'm using my old stuff and only spending $229.99 for a head unit [the Alpine HU I have in my closet is a cassette :eek: ]. Say this unit does really suck. I can always buy an Alpine and sell it for $150.00. It has a 2 year warranty so hopefully, it will work OK or be fixed. The specs are good for the money and I like the bling bling.

Enough justification... I'll let you guys hear it when I get it in and you can decide for yourselves whether it was worth the money. Time to break out my stereo install tools. :biggthump

I had my 6 1/2s in my modified doors in my old 'Stang. I may put the 5 1/4s in the doors now and the 6 1/2s in back. I doubt if the 6 1/2s will fit in the doors without modification?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
TaintedSnake01 said:
umm doubt the 6 1/2's will fit. Cobra's have 6x8's in the doors and 6x8's in the back. Vert's have 6 1/2's in the back though.

After I get the door panels off, I'll see if it's possible to fit the 6 1/2s. I agree that they probably won't fit without modification. I had to build the door out using plastic trim pieces on my LX to fit the 6 1/2s in there [pain in the butt]. I'd prefer putting them up front but if that won't work without a lot of mods, I'll stick the 5 1/4s in there.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
UPDATE!

Good news and bad news.

Bad news is I took the stereo parts box out of my closet and discovered that one of my 6 1/2" speakers has a slight tear. Damn.

I thought about what to do and checked prices on Focal, Boston Acoustics, MB Quart separates but the good ones are more than I want to spend. So... for the time being I hooked the Sony CD player up to the stock speakers and ran RCAs back to my sub. I'm not thrilled with the boomy bass from the stock rear subs but I can EQ most of it out. I need to eventually get better separates [speakers] and hook the pre-outs up to auxilliary amplifiers. I'm running my sub off an outboard amp but the mid bass/treble speakers are currently using the head units amp and head unit amps aren't nearly as good as auxilliary amps.

The good news is that Crutchfield supplies a cover plate/stereo mounting panel so the stereo looks like a factory install in the dash They also include a wiring harness that matches up to the Ford harness so wiring it into the stock speakers was a piece of cake. All that is necessary is following the head unit's and Crutchfield's instructions to hook up the two harnesses. It's mostly color matching the wires. One end of the harness plugs into the CD player and the other end plugs into the stock wiring harness. No need to hook up separate power/ground wires since the harness already has them. Easiest stereo install I ever did. Thanks Crutchfield. That harness is well worth any extra money Crutchfield charges and in this case, they were as low as Ebay prices and included the harness and cover plate/stereo mount.

As far as sound quality, it is far better than the stock head unit. What a piece of crap that is in comparison.

dohc97

resident mexican
Mar 21, 2005
6.5 inch speakers will fit in your stock front doors, you just have to cut out the plastic mounting plate and make a new one. I made the adapters out of wood about 3/4 inch thick. It worked perfect and the door panel fit.

Slash can you get any deals on equipment? Im interested in buying a couple things within the next month. I usually buy online but a hookup would be appreciated.

Thread Info