GI...Guitarists: The holy grail...'72 Fender Champ

I am currently building a new amp...and I may be putting my prized 1972 Fender Champ on the auction block. Amp has been restored, I have eveything original...right down to the tubes. I currently have a Weber speaker in it, but the original Jensen is tucked away safely.

I put in the highest quality turret board, and rebuilt the electronics with all top-shelf stuff..original Iron is still in there. Amp needs nothing, and sounds unreal. I did a full restoration on it, and the only thing it needs to be 100% is the faceplate since it has some wear.

Looking for $550 obo if I decide to sell it.

Clips: (all guitar was recorded with the Champ)
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9421057
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9655326

newgutsweb.jpg

champbackweb.jpg

champweb.jpg

backoff.jpg

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
im gonna tell a recording engineer buddy about this, he is always looking for more/ better amps

That's what Champs are for. That's why I wanted one!

I need more a dual purpose thing, so I'm building a circuit based on a Blackface Princeton, but with a switchable Ultralinear output to use it as a bass amp too.

If your friend is interested, I can also set it up with a push/pull pot to switch between "blackface" and "tweed" voicings. Right now it's full blackface, but the mod can be done without molesting the amp.

Old Fenders are good investments, even during the recession values went up.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
im sure if he wants it modded, he would do it himself.... he basically does the same stuff you do with the amps.... he was really into building those valve jr amps for awhile and he also hot rodded my blackheart amp (7 watt conversion with transformer and JJ tubes) it screams now!

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Yeah, those EL84 amps are screamers...I personally couldn't warm up to the sound, but what they do...they do well.

I had a Valve Jr. and a Marshall Class 5 last year...I couldn't get a decent pallette of tones out of the Valve Jr...and the Marshall was a lost cause. I threw a lot of money at the Marshall, built the only 12" baffle for one in the US..had a real '63 Jensen P12Q in it....sweet talked Marshall into sending me the schematic. I worked with a few amp builders around the country in turn for providing them the leaked schematic...they basically laughed at the crappy design!

I sold the Marshall after putting it back to stock, sold the 12" baffle and speaker seperately. Was just enough to get my money back out of it, buy the champ and fund the rebuild of it. So it was a happy ending.

I have been through a dozen or so different amps in the past year...my two favorites were a Custom '64 Princeton reverb clone, and this Champ. The new amp I'm building is very cool though, I've worked out a schematic with Tom Deering (Deering Amps), and it's pretty f'n cool. Has a switchable '59/'64 Fender front end, twin 6V6 with switchable UL output in push/pull (Class A/B). Runs a GZ34 Recto on giant trannies (the trannies are also 1960 iron). Should sound like a Princeton on steroids, and an Ampeg when in UL. I still haven't decided on a speaker yet; I have a '58 Magnavox, '63 Fisher, and a '60 Jensen C12NF on the shelf...I'm partial to the old Magnavox's (they were the best at that time). May try and find another Jensen P12Q...(but the vintage prices are getting up there)

Here's a pic of the Marshall after I modded it:
front.jpg

back.jpg

Thread Info

• Ron Vogel
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list