QStarz BT-Q818 Bluetooth GPS Receiver

20120509233507.jpg

$40

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i use dashware to render and racechrono to record.

1 hz is too low to render. you can see on my videos even 5 hz is meh, but acceptable. new 10 hz qstar is a good $80.. which i will begrudgingly spend.

you can see 5 in the dials here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xtOaooyHSg

here's 10 hz from a mychron4 on my buddy's kart (gps is 5 hz, the speed/rpms are 10):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzrqxiQPOKo

i think 10 is the real minimum required to start doing worthy data analysis. like i can do a session with turns this way and then another with them another way and can compare. or 3 of us were hopping in and out of his kart and we could compare our best laps against eachother and say oh you are turning in too early, or you can carry more speed here, etc.

Slider

Regular
Jan 3, 2008
NW Chicago
That looks a lot smoother, I ordered the new model yesterday that's why I'm selling this. The one I have for sale might be useful for someone who wants to record lap times, and general speeds but definitely not data analysis. It is more accurate and acquires the gps quicker than the built in gps. Also good for someone who has a tablet without gps.

I'm a little skeptical if those 10hz gps are actually getting positions at 10hz, from what I've read a lot of them don't truly run on 10hz, but at 5hz and just interpolate the data internally. At least that's what people on the forums stated when they did acceleration and deceleration tests and figured out it was really running at 5hz and using a Kalman filter or similar to interpolate the data.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
well that is interesting. i am not good enough to need the analysis or fully use it well so it hasn't been that big a deal to me, i'm all for it to smoothen my dials though. never thought about inserting fake data in between. seems a bit of a pain but doable manually, i'd load it into a database to do it.

my bluetooth obd2 reader (obdkey) was stated to support up to 20 hz, so it seems worth getting the 10 hz gps so i record both at 10 hz, whether the gps is fakey or not.

Thread Info

• S
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list