WANTED! rust-free CLEAN ready-to-drive fox Mustang...

Hey guys, I've been hunting for a while and might as well make it official with a wanted thread. I have a 93 Cobra now that I plan on selling in the spring. I hardly drive it and worry about it when I do. I want to get into something cheaper that I can put a few mild parts on without worrying about originality affecting the value. If I can find something before I sell the Cobra, that's good by me. What I mean is that I don't NEED to sell it first to fund the purchase. AND, it needs to be 100% rust free.

See this thread for a recent ad (I received permission from the original poster) that is an example of EXACTLY what I'm looking for. It fell through my hands but represents the condition and price range of what I need:
http://chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35394

I would strongly prefer a 5 speed LX. I will consider a 5 speed GT, AOD LX, or even a 5 speed convertible if it is very nice. I'm not interested in an AOD GT or AOD Vert.

I would like the car to be close to stock. No drag cars with massive blowers, slicks, high compression engines, big cams, etc. If the car is modded at all, I only want 'tasteful', correctly installed and well functioning parts. Things that enhance the driving experience without taking anything away- like shifters, well matched suspension/brake upgrades, correctly installed gears, mild power upgrades, etc. Here are a list of things that I do not consider 'tasteful' and will turn me off (please don't flame me :D):
- removed AC components
- draglites with skinnys up front
- massively lowered with OEM shocks
- ugly custom paint/body kits
- nitrous
- riced taillights
- huge stereo systems
- EFI changed to carb

I'm sort of joking but I hope you get the idea. The most important thing is that I want a car that has been kept up and maintained as if it is your everyday car, not your race car. If something breaks you fix it. For example, if the heater core goes out, you replace it instead of bypassing it. I understand that things like the power locks go out and AC's need to be recharged but the less issues like this, the more likely I'll pounce. No uncompleted projects or "it just needs this to be done" or "your finishing touches". I won't be daily driving the thing, but I want to be able to if the need comes up.

I guess it could seem like I'm asking for a lot but I know that they're out there. The thread link I posted shows that and I've owned a few. I've found some in other parts of the country on the Corral but I'd rather find one local due to my lack of free time. The last thing I can think of is regarding price- I'll pay what it's worth, not what you have in it or what you paid for it whenever you bought it.

Thanks for the help guys! Now... let's see what you have!!

phorty

Regular
Feb 13, 2006
I found a 93 LX hatch on Craigslist a couple of days ago with this description:
> for sale is my 1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L... car has 52K
> original miles... 5 speed manual transmission...
> car is all original except - Steeda Tri-Ax shifter,
> SuperChip, underdrive pulleys and chrome 16" 5 star pony wheels...
> car is maroon in color, grey cloth interior... power windows, power locks, power sunroof, power steering...
> second owner...

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and the asking price is reasonable at $6k. So I email the guy and he gets back and says no rust at all, first owner only drove in nice weather, everything works, yadda yadda. Good detailed friendly reply. I call the number this morning and some other guy calls me back. Says they work at a Ford dealership together. He says the guy who owns it is only 24 so he is going to sell it for him- "He's just a young kid, I'm 48 so I'm helping him out". It all goes through him he says. I say that is weird and ask doesn't it make more sense if I talk to the guy who owns the car? He says this is the way it's going to be and if I don't like it, then sorry. And he wasn't particularly friendly, kind of a fast talking ass. What the hell?!? Why does there always have to be some weird story going on when I find a car. What is up with people? Unless its his dad, you have to admit its strange. If it was right down the street then I would take a chance, but not when its 55 miles away from me.

1997SVTcobra

GET BORED
Jul 28, 2006
I know it's not exactly what you're looking for but my buddy and i are selling this...Car could pass for brand new

http://chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31944

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00189.jpg

Maniak

TCG Elite Member
Apr 17, 2006
Highland Park, IL
I found a 93 LX hatch on Craigslist a couple of days ago with this description:
> for sale is my 1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L... car has 52K
> original miles... 5 speed manual transmission...
> car is all original except - Steeda Tri-Ax shifter,
> SuperChip, underdrive pulleys and chrome 16" 5 star pony wheels...
> car is maroon in color, grey cloth interior... power windows, power locks, power sunroof, power steering...
> second owner...

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for and the asking price is reasonable at $6k. So I email the guy and he gets back and says no rust at all, first owner only drove in nice weather, everything works, yadda yadda. Good detailed friendly reply. I call the number this morning and some other guy calls me back. Says they work at a Ford dealership together. He says the guy who owns it is only 24 so he is going to sell it for him- "He's just a young kid, I'm 48 so I'm helping him out". It all goes through him he says. I say that is weird and ask doesn't it make more sense if I talk to the guy who owns the car? He says this is the way it's going to be and if I don't like it, then sorry. And he wasn't particularly friendly, kind of a fast talking ass. What the hell?!? Why does there always have to be some weird story going on when I find a car. What is up with people? Unless its his dad, you have to admit its strange. If it was right down the street then I would take a chance, but not when its 55 miles away from me.

55 miles isnt too bad, it still may be worth it to check it out?

Thread Info