04 Cobra IRS FS/Trade

ExplorerThis

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2004
Is your IRS bad? I mean if you have one that hops I could see, but if yours doesnt hop much with a drag radial Id say keep it....Mine comes out of the hole fine with no hop, so Im sticking with my IRS unless it breaks everytime i get on it....

.....btw your a bean pole.....

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
ExplorerThis said:
Is your IRS bad? I mean if you have one that hops I could see, but if yours doesnt hop much with a drag radial Id say keep it....Mine comes out of the hole fine with no hop, so Im sticking with my IRS unless it breaks everytime i get on it....

.....btw your a bean pole.....

It hops off the line and when I shift into 2nd. I have MM FLSFC and H&R Race springs. It hopped b4 the springs. With the springs it's still BAD when I shift into 2nd gear.

Go finish your midnight snack of tube steak.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
the springs arent the issue. the shocks are. that plus the rubber bushings.

And I second the "go buy a mach 1" notion - drag racers begged ford to build a 4cam, automatic, solid axle mustang, and ford did. Anyone with a solid and an auto in a terminator completely missed the point of the car.

"but the cobra has the forged bottom end" whats the difference when you're just going to blow it up anyway?

ask $750 for the IRS and if you get offered more than $600 for it, take it. (in my opinion)

SLASH

God bless our troops.
Jun 20, 2005
i guess for someone that road races the car, the irs is better, hence the reason you like it john. i still was able to get a 1.6 60 with the irs and no wheel hop before my clutch went, but i would reccomend 5's and bushings, they just were not made to hanlde that kind or power. i know breaking an axelshaft is no biggie to some, but i personally dont need it.

a stock irs is worth every bit of 750, but for a little less than a solid, try this option.

l 5's 1200-1500
bushings 500
dif brace 150

plus whatever labor you need. im sure it is cheaper than a built solid and you still get the ride of the irs.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
ShelbyGuy said:
And I second the "go buy a mach 1" notion - drag racers begged ford to build a 4cam, automatic, solid axle mustang, and ford did. Anyone with a solid and an auto in a terminator completely missed the point of the car.

"but the cobra has the forged bottom end" whats the difference when you're just going to blow it up anyway?
(in my opinion)
Unfortunately they forgot the built short-block and blower option on the Mach 1.

Drag Racing may not have been the "point" of the car, but that doesn't mean it's not good at it.

Dragon03

Super hated on
Mar 28, 2007
ShelbyGuy said:

ask $750 for the IRS and if you get offered more than $600 for it, take it. (in my opinion)

I agree I had wheel hop issues and first got sub frames which helped but when I got the IRS bushing night and day difference. You can pick them up cheap for around $40.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
i think hes only talking about the subframe bushings for 40, and those typically go for 50 from mm
there is a guy bruce on svtp who makes his own bushings which are very similar to mm bushings, the diff bushings are different though as vince once drew, showed, and explained to me in a very detailed manner once, but his bushings are also not crazy expensive so I would say go with those,

otherwise,
i have a friend who might be picking up a 97 cobra in a couple days and I'll talk to him, the swap is slightly(only about 1 or 2 more steps) more difficult than putting a 99-04 rear end in ur car and u can run wider tires,
anyways, this is exactly the kind of swap he would be interested so I'll relay the word.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
ShelbyGuy said:

If they had put a blower on the machs I am sure all the drag racers would have picked the machs.

It is much easier to transplant the rear end from a mach to a cobra, then it is to transplant the drivetrain from a cobra to a mach.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Wiked03 said:
If they had put a blower on the machs I am sure all the drag racers would have picked the machs.

It is much easier to transplant the rear end from a mach to a cobra, then it is to transplant the drivetrain from a cobra to a mach.

The rods within the Mach 1 motor are the weak point. Some are running 8 - 10 psi Vortechs and Prochargers with luck, while others have fresh, built shortblocks installed. Like the GT, not a matter of if the rod will go but when.

This is the reason I have not purchased a Procharger or Vortech, $5000 for the kit + approx $3000 for the built short block + labor. Shit, I might as well trade in my car and put that $8000 plus as a down payment on a 03/04 Z06 and slap on some bolt ons.

Chris - if you have the cash, the simply go out and buy a new, built solid axle rear end and sell the IRS on its own. Do it right the first time.

Dave

Mr. Unknown

Oct 26, 2005
Blood on Blood said:
The rods within the Mach 1 motor are the weak point. Some are running 8 - 10 psi Vortechs and Prochargers with luck, while others have fresh, built shortblocks installed. Like the GT, not a matter of if the rod will go but when.

This is the reason I have not purchased a Procharger or Vortech, $5000 for the kit + approx $3000 for the built short block + labor. Shit, I might as well trade in my car and put that $8000 plus as a down payment on a 03/04 Z06 and slap on some bolt ons.

Chris - if you have the cash, the simply go out and buy a new, built solid axle rear end and sell the IRS on its own. Do it right the first time.

Dave

Agreed. but that 03/04 Z06 idea sounds good too.

Thread Info