Mirrors, mirrors, and MORE mirrors!...oh, and I got mirrors too!

OK, I've been meaning to clear out of my ridiculous inventory of mirrors for a few years now, but kept getting side tracked. Time to get going on this. These can be installed on ANY car that uses 12V, regardless of how plain, or how fancy the mirror your car came with is. This thread should cover almost everything about installing/replacing/upgrading fancy rear view mirrors: Everything you ever wanted to know about auto dimming rear view mirrors - TCG

Terms and Conditions of Sales

1. THERE ARE NO DIBS! First to pay for the mirror they want gets it till inventory runs out.
2. The prices are FIRM, and include FedEx ground shipping to anywhere in the contiguous 48 states.
3. I am NOT shipping outside of the continental US! I'm sorry, but I simply don't have time to deal with obtaining shipping quotes, customs paperwork, etc.
4. I'm only accepting PayPal in the form of *gift* payments at this time.
5. Regardless of being tested, all mirrors are being SOLD AS IS!

All mirrors are tested to make sure they are working properly prior to being sold, include the correct wiring harness in case this will be a custom job, and wiring will be IDed and accompanied by a sheet indicating what each wire is for. These are being listed on every car club I'm a member of, so it will be much easier if you just e-mail me your SN, which forum you're from, and what mirror you want (ste6000awd[at]msn.com).

If you want to arrange to pick up the mirror in person, I'm willing to meet up in/near Naperville, but that is as far as I'll go. Anywhere further, and it's not worth what I'd loose in gas vs. just shipping it out. I'd also prefer cash if purchasing in person. I can also help you install it if we meet in person, but if it seems like the old mirror is being stubborn in coming off, I won't force the issue. I'll just get the wiring set up (as we did with Angus' car), and suggest taking it to a glass/body shop which will usually remove/install mirrors for a very small fee, if not free.

I will be continuously updating this list as I find more mirrors, or as mirrors sell.

Mirror1.jpg

Description: Used in the early to mid '90s only on the Chevy Caprice and Buick Roadmaster. The compass is back lit.
Number of wires: 4
Features: Compass, map lights.
Price: $40
Qty: 1

Mirror2.jpg

Description: Donnelly mirrors used from late '90s through early '00s. Same mirrors on non-OnStar equipped w-bodies. Green light indicator for when the self-dimming feature is on.
Number of wires: 3 (including unnecessary green wire for reverse feature)
Features: Self-dimming, map lights.
Price: $70
Qty: 4

Mirror3.jpg

Description: A rare version of Gentex's first self-dimming mirror featuring map lights (extremely uncommon for Gentex) found only on well-equipped Caprices and Roadmasters in the mid-'90s.
Number of wires: 5 (including unnecessary green wire for reverse feature)
Features: Self-dimming, map lights.
Qty: 4

**Pic will be up shortly; looks exactly like the next mirror down, but without the compass**

Description: 1st mainstream Gentex self-dimming mirror used from early to mid-'90s. The OFF/MIN/MAX text actually lights up orange on the version used in the Bonnevilles. The rest are the greenish-white.
Features: Self-dimming.
Price: $30
Qty: 2
**Looking to clear out of these, so I'm willing to take $20 shipped!**

Mirror5.jpg

Description: 1st mainstream Gentex self-dimming mirror with compass used from early to mid-'90s. The OFF/MIN/MAX text lights up greenish-white.
Features: Self-dimming, compass.
Price: $55
Qty: 7
**Looking to clear out of these, so I'm willing to take $35 shipped!**

Mirror6.jpg

Description: These were a design update to Gentex's original mirrors, used from the very late '90s to the present.
Features: Self-dimming.
Price: $55
Qty: 7

Mirror7.jpg

Description: These were a design update to Gentex's original compass mirrors, used from the very late '90s to the late '00s.
Features: Self-dimming, compass.
Qty: 3

Last edited:

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
BUMP. I'm going to have an extensively revised list put together hopefully before the end of the month. Need to update inventory count, not to mention I've gotten some pretty nice additions to the collection the last couple months. :) Including Gentex auto-dim with dual display compass and temp (looks like the OnStar mirror without the OnStar), the ever elusive Gentex auto-dim with compass and LED map lights :dancingcool: a version of the same mirror with OnStar (very rare, 1st time I've come across one, didn't even know they existed), as well as one with just auto-dim/LED map lights (no compass), the newest style Gentex auto-dim, and much more.

If you're local/willing to drive out to me to pick one up, I can help install it for you. If you need references, I've successfully swapped over an old, leaking auto-dim only Donnelly mirror for a Gentex with compass on Birkboy's GTP a few years back, Angus' GTP last year, Euro's Regal a couple months ago and we just did the one on my sis' GTP at the w-body meet last weekend.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
BUMP. I'm going to have an extensively revised list put together hopefully before the end of the month. Need to update inventory count, not to mention I've gotten some pretty nice additions to the collection the last couple months. :) Including Gentex auto-dim with dual display compass and temp (looks like the OnStar mirror without the OnStar), the ever elusive Gentex auto-dim with compass and LED map lights :dancingcool: a version of the same mirror with OnStar (very rare, 1st time I've come across one, didn't even know they existed), as well as one with just auto-dim/LED map lights (no compass), the newest style Gentex auto-dim, and much more.

If you're local/willing to drive out to me to pick one up, I can help install it for you. If you need references, I've successfully swapped over an old, leaking auto-dim only Donnelly mirror for a Gentex with compass on Birkboy's GTP a few years back, Angus' GTP last year, Euro's Regal a couple months ago and we just did the one on my sis' GTP at the w-body meet last weekend.

Interested in the onstar mirror with auto dim and a regular mirror with autodim...

The only OnStar one I can find at the moment is the really rare one that I mentioned with auto-dim, compass and LED map lights. I know I have others, but I'll have to dig them out of my Public Storage space. Also could have sworn I had an OnStar with just auto-dim and regular map lights somewhere in the apartment I'll have to look for. Which kind are you looking for?

Also, for the regular one, you want just auto-dim? No compass or lights?

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
tin - That particular one is very rare. Only available as an option on the Intrigue GLS trim level, and I believe a Lincoln/Chrysler or 2 came with them (never found one in one of those, only the same mirror without a compass in the later years of the Gen I Chrysler Sebring convertible). Unfortunately, that makes them significantly more valuable than the next mirror down on the totem pole. It would be $110, and yes, it has the reverse wire. Snapped a pic of one a couple days ago. There's 2 variations with a slight difference in the way the bottom of the mirrors where the lights reside are designed (seen in the bottom 2 pics). The rest is identical.

GntxGLS1.jpg

GntxGLS3.jpg

GntxGLS4.jpg

E - That's cool. Give me some times that you're available, and we'll figure something out.

ilikemtb99 - They're mirrors I've picked up over 10 years of not being able to resist snagging them every time I saw one.

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
ilikemtb999 - Are you talking about just a plain old mirror? For what year/make/model?

E - That's cool. Friday's the only day that's out for me. Though I just thought of something. I just realized it says you need it for a VW, and I'm pretty sure those (as with most imports) didn't get the typical windshield mirror mount used in the vast majority of other cars (even later imports). Can you PM me some pics of the mirror in your car, and how it's mounted?

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
ilikemtb999 - Are you talking about just a plain old mirror? For what year/make/model?

E - That's cool. Friday's the only day that's out for me. Though I just thought of something. I just realized it says you need it for a VW, and I'm pretty sure those (as with most imports) didn't get the typical windshield mirror mount used in the vast majority of other cars (even later imports). Can you PM me some pics of the mirror in your car, and how it's mounted?

Can't seem to post pics via pm so I'll post here

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372902263923.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372902263923.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 491
  • uploadfromtaptalk1372902307578.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372902307578.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 491

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Dammit! That's what I was afraid of. Freaking VWs. Yeah, I don't have a mirror that will mount to your factory windshield mount. That style was unique to VWs, and some very similar versions (maybe the same) in some other years/makes/models of European cars. Only thing I could suggest is if you're willing, have a glass shop remove the factory mounting button, and have them glue the more universal style one on in its place (which I can obviously provide). That will give you a HELL of a lot more options for mirrors than just those that will fit the VW mount. Otherwise, you'll have to shop around for strictly VW mirrors.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
[MENTION=4091]RareGMFan[/MENTION], have any still?

I'm looking for an auto-dimming RVM for my 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. I wouldn't mind a compass, but I have no use for temperature (have it on the dash). Map lights would be OK if they have replaceable bulbs. I have LED 5,000K interior bulbs, and a yellow incandescent bulb would clash hard and look like crap.

I wouldn't mind "homelink" or the like either.

LMK if you have anything that might work.

Thanks,
-James

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Hey, James. Sorry for the late reply. New job has kept my pretty occupied the last few weeks. I'm pretty sure the Outlander should have the typical universal style mounting button on the windshield. If so, you'll have a lot of choices for mirrors. You can get compass without temp easy, especially if no map lights isn't a deal breaker (see last pic in original post). I think all the HomeLink mirrors have LED map lights, as pretty much all Gentex mirrors with map lights do. At least all the ones I've discovered in the yards and online so far. You'd have to go Donnelly to get regular replaceable bulbs, but then it gets much harder to find one with a compass (do not have one at the moment), and then you have the whole prone to failure issue with Donnellys.

Thread Info