1998 Ford Ranger Shell/Bits Cheap/Free.

I know a few guys here have rangers for Beaters or DD's etc, so I figure I make this thread for those people.

At the end of the month I am scrapping the ranger (1998, Sunset Autumn Metallic, Standard cab, Stepside bed), and keeping:

Everything in the motor bay
Front and Rear suspension
Front spindles (complete)
Wheels
Driveshaft
Rear end
Cluster/Gauges
Seats
Some interior plastics.

Body-wise the shell will be complete when I scrap it (all fenders/headlights/etc, varying degree's of OK-Crappy), so if you have any interest/need for anything PM me, if you can pull it off, you can have it for free minus:

Good stuff:
Newer upper control arms I paid $70 a side for these, I'd like $20 for the pair
Airbags, I'd rather set these off for fun before I'd let them go to the yard, $20 for the pair (Black steering wheel, tan passenger side)
Front Windshield (Was new April 2010), If you feel brave enough to pull it off you can have it for $20, if you break it when trying to remove it, life goes on, I wouldn't charge you anything.

I've been adamant about not putting a single $1 into the body/chassis of this truck that I couldn't tear off, so I've decided against paying the money for it to be tuned to pass emissions when I wanted to go with a clean 01-03 platform anyways.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
you keeping the fog lights in that lower valance? Upper control arms have new ball joints in them? I'm also looking for springs front and back and shocks. I might even try to pull that windshield. Let me know.

I have the "Non-Serviceable" upper control arms, so yes the Ball joints are new, but unreplaceable (which is why this repair is normally so costly, it sucks). *the Arm/Balljoint is one piece, there are 2 different designs used in these years for some reason*

The suspension I planned on keeping unless I move to an Explorer Sport platform or get a decent offer for it. It is a DJM 2/3 Drop kit (Shocks front and rear, front coil springs, and a flip kit/shackles for the rear). I also purchased brand new leaf springs for the truck late last year ($160 a side).

If you are interested in buying the whole she-bang I'd sell it to you, but I'd be looking for $500 for the lot (Front coils, Front and rear shocks, rear leaf springs, axle flip kit, shackles, and I'd include 2 brand new rear leaf hangers, and both upper control arms). If for some reason the front shocks don't want to come off the truck *HUGE bitch to torque the tophat nut* I'd sell the lot for $400 minus front shocks ($57-68 each online brand new).

The 2/3 kit alone was $500 new :(.

I'm not even gonna bother keeping the front bumper, I tried modifying it to fit to the front clip better unsuccessfully, so its all yours (no bulbs), and you are welcome to take a crack at the windshield as soon as the truck is 'up on stands' next weekend. I've been told you can get it fairly easily if you buy that 'metal string' cutting kit from Harbor Freight.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'd take the whole shell if it were a roller. I have a trailer but no winch to drag it up there. I'll pretty much take what ever you don't want fenders, doors, bumper etc.

I have a tow strap if you are feeling Brave/Hairy... The explorer is more than strong enough to drag it down the driveway and up a trailer if you aren't worried about dinging up your trailer. Or if you have (or buy) wheel dollies we could just push it with dollies on the frame (Driveway has slight angle down so it would be very easy).

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have someone lined up to take the shell now (Chitown/Rangerstation member, Mainly after the Bed I'd suspect), so let me know what you want/need before I let them drag it away. Most panels have dents/dings, Mirrors are good, glass is good, Lights are OK, Not much to these trucks, Lol.

Thread Info

• Dasfinc
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list