FS: 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS

Up for sale is my 2003 Toyota Avalon XLS. I bought this in September of 2015 with 129k miles. Currently stands at the 150k mark. Please forgive the lack of good pictures. I think these are the only two pictures I ever took of it. I moved to Boulder, CO last month and the Avalon is still back home in IL. I am coming home this weekend and will be home through Memorial Day (05/20-05/29). I will be taking some additional pictures this weekend. I don't think I'll be back again until July. The car is currently in McHenry, IL.

This winter the Avalon started misfiring while driving. I was lazy and took it into a shop. They diagnosed it as the timing belt having slipped a tooth. I had them retime the belt while everything was apart to see if there was any internal damage. After retiming the belt, the Avalon started up and ran without any issues. No more misfires, no stalling, and no unpleasant noises. I drove it into the the garage and parked it with the intent of replacing the timing belt once the temperatures warmed up. The previous owner told me the original timing belt was replaced at 80k, so it is probably due. Not sure what caused the belt to slip. The shop said the tensioner and belt were in good shape.

Up until the timing belt ordeal, the Avalon was a solid runner that took me to both sides of the country. I drove it out to both Montana and South Carolina without a single hiccup. With my pending move and shrinking window of time, I opted to buy a Subaru and park the Avalon. If I hadn't been planning to move, I would have fixed the Avalon and still been rocking it as my DD.

Details:
- 2003 Blue Toyota Avalon XLS
- 150Kish miles (I'll update this when I get home.)
- Leather Interior with heated seats and sideview mirrors
- 15% tint on rear window and visor strip, 30% on sides
- Rhino Rack roof rack
- Battery is 2 years old
- A set of snow tires and steel wheels is currently on the car. I also have the stock 16" chrome wheels to go along with it.

The Bad:
- Driver rear door has some heaving scratching. I applied touch-up paint but it is still quite visible
- It was previously a Chicago car and both the front and rear bumpers show this quite clearly. Both have their fair share of bumps and scrapes
- As was stated above, it currently runs just fine. I would strongly urge you to replace the timing belt ASAP though.
- CEL is on for an EVAP code. I replaced one of the under hood canisters and it went away long enough for me to pass emissions. It popped back up shortly thereafter
- The automatic wiper sensor is confused most of the time. The wipers will stop in strange spots across the windshield in any mode other than low and high.
- Front brakes are due for replacement

35B4E28D-0E0F-4C65-997F-FD9B8F406AF4-4005-0000020644453ECA_zpswva8wmig.jpg

Car is located in McHenry, IL

SOLD

Last edited:

1998gpgt

TCG Elite Member
Apr 25, 2008
Boulder, CO

Thread Info