'01 Grand Prix GTP for parts

'01 Grand Prix GTP Special Edition for parts

My '01 GTP Special Edition with 185k miles spun a bearing after the LIM gasket went on it (discovered this after the fact). I've started it up a couple times since it sat, but I haven't started it in a while and wouldn't take any chances driving it anywhere, especially with all the coolant that dumped into the block.

UPDATE 9/30: I will be looking to snag the SE parts off the car within the next week or 2, immediately after which the rest of the car will be hauled off to a junkyard. Last chance to get the car as a whole (only thing missing is the PCM) for $750 (firm). I know that's a bit high for a parts car, but if you're looking to buy several Special Edition cosmetic pieces, it's actually a good price considering what those parts go for individually. You could even stand to get most of your money back, if not MAKE money parting out the rest of the car yourself. Otherwise, below are prices I'll be looking to get for some of the parts I've been getting HOUNDED for on craigslist (because people don't seem to understand what "not parting it out yet" means).

Special Edition appearance pieces:

Hood - $275 (some rock chips with a few of them mildly rusty, some small dings/dents and a cut in one of the heat extractors).
Trunk lid with spoiler - $250 (clear coat peeling badly on spoiler, a bit of rust on the lip of the trunk lid).
Roof rails - $200 (in pretty solid overall condition).
2-tone interior - $350 (includes all seats, door panels and gray dash and center console trim pieces; driver's seat rough, but rest in good shape).
Dual-twin exhaust tips - $50 (don't have the means to hack these off, so please bring tools if interested).

Regular GP/GTP parts

HUD - $80 (includes HUD unit, dash cover and switches; wire harnesses can be included if needed).
DIC - $40 (works perfectly)
CD Player - $30 (some of the lights stopped working after I opened up the faceplate to swap display light bulbs, but the display works and it plays CDs without a problem).​

Other details about the car for those that might be interested in it as a whole. It has 185k miles (original motor, trans and supercharger), and came with every option but the Bose system. It is, and always has been bone stock. The motor spun a bearing, so it is no good. The rocker panels are rusted to hell (driver's side has completely disintegrated), most of the body panels are dented and/or rusty after 2 accidents (rear left door was replaced, and is in good shape), and the clear coat is peeling/paint is fading on the spoiler and rear bumper cover, per usual with GM. Struts and springs are toast (rear springs broke).

Pros, it does have low mileage control arms (stock), outer tie rods and front wheel bearings. One front axle is a ZZP stage II, and the other is a NAPA replacement, but they're both only about 3 years old at most. It also has drilled and slotted rotors at all 4 corners that still work fine. The interior is in pretty nice shape minus the driver's seat leather. All amenities work save for the power seat that has 2 modes; off, and 3rd degree burn on your ass.

Last edited:

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
3rd largest city in IL!!!

Yes, I'm near Rt 59 and North Aurora Ave. I'm supposed to be off work at 5, but that very seldom happens. I usually don't get out till 7 or 8, so if something late in the evening works, we can arrange for that. Otherwise, we can set up a time this weekend.

Smug, if the car sells as a whole, I won't be removing anything. That's why I priced the car as a whole like I did (due to the value of the SE parts). If the car doesn't sell as a whole, I will most definitely be stripping off all the SE parts and then some, but that will only happen if/when I can find a way to move the remainder of the car immediately afterwards since I can't have it sitting like that in the apartment parking lot. So it's just a matter of what happens first (someone buys the thing as a whole, or someone wants to buy what's left of the carcass/whatever other arrangement we make).

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
3rd largest city in IL!!!

Yes, I'm near Rt 59 and North Aurora Ave. I'm supposed to be off work at 5, but that very seldom happens. I usually don't get out till 7 or 8, so if something late in the evening works, we can arrange for that. Otherwise, we can set up a time this weekend.

Smug, if the car sells as a whole, I won't be removing anything. That's why I priced the car as a whole like I did (due to the value of the SE parts). If the car doesn't sell as a whole, I will most definitely be stripping off all the SE parts and then some, but that will only happen if/when I can find a way to move the remainder of the car immediately afterwards since I can't have it sitting like that in the apartment parking lot. So it's just a matter of what happens first (someone buys the thing as a whole, or someone wants to buy what's left of the carcass/whatever other arrangement we make).

Cool, Let me know what happens

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Can you throw some pics up of this fine whip?

I'll try to get some pics up as soon as I can, but just to prepare you in advance for what you're about to see, as opposed to thinking of it as a fine whip, try to picture the remains of a car that tried mating with a moving train that was having no part of it.

Cool, Let me know what happens

Will do.

Do you have the sunroof assembly? Did I see you on New York St. In the new car yesterday?

Yes, the car is still in tact at the moment. And yes, that was me, stalker!!

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Finally got around to snapping some quick pics when I got home from work yesterday before I had to run back out for some errands. Excuse the dust, dirt and debris on the car. As I said, it's been sitting around a bit (under trees, no less). On the picture of the hood vents, I circled a small cut in the left side vent in red. Should be fixable.

GTPSE1.jpg

GTPSE2.jpg

GTPSE3.jpg

GTPSE4.jpg

GTPSE5.jpg

GTPSE6.jpg

GTPSE7.jpg

GTPSE8.jpg

GTPSE9.jpg

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
Bump

Willing to work on the price a bit if someone wants to take the whole thing for all the Special Edition parts. Could easily keep what you want, part out the rest, take the shell to a scraper and break about even, if not make a little something, which in turn makes everything you kept for yourself free. I'd prefer to do that rather than spend the time myself to tear parts off and deal with getting the carcass hauled off, finding time to sell the parts individually, etc. I just don't have much free time, and more importantly, the place to do that thoroughly (again, apt complex - no garage).

If there are no takers for the whole thing or any other buying arrangements as suggested in the OP by the next weekend or two, I'll have to tear off whatever I can in my apt parking lot real quick, and haul the rest of it off to a scraper.

msells21

Sep 1, 2014
I'm interested in a few parts off the car. Not sure how it would work with your situation but I am at least looking to grab the cat-back and the wiper assembly. Might be interested in a few others miscellaneous items as well - hell, for the right price I may even grab the trans. Let me know what works for you or if you're even okay with parting it out this way.

EDIT: Just to add, I would like the passenger side headlight mount as well. Putting this here more as reminder for myself...

RareGMFan

Addict
Jan 12, 2008
Naperville, IL
The catback is stock, and it has a bad leak from somewhere. I can't really part out too many miscellaneous pieces unless I find somewhere else to do it. Not going to fly with where it sits right now.

If you have the room and means to get it back to your place, and are willing to do so, I could possibly grab all the SE stuff and a couple other odds and ends at my place, and sell the rest of the car for say $300. You could then take whatever you need off the rest of it at your place, and still scrap it yourself for pretty much all your money back (and then some if you chose to part out other pieces first).

MMkay, so I've had 0 time to devote to this, but I have made some arrangements with a coworker that is willing to haul off what's left of the car, so I'll be parting it out soon. Timing will be tricky, as I'll be removing some of the bigger pieces in my parking lot, and immediately hauling off the rest, so if someone wants to see the parts before then to decide if they're buying or not, let me know and we can try to arrange a date/time to make that happen. I'll leave some prices for some of the parts I know people are going to ask about. Not looking to ship anything at this point. Local cash pick up in Naperville.

Special Edition appearance pieces:

Hood - $275 (some rock chips with a few of them mildly rusty, some small dings/dents and a cut in one of the heat extractors).
Trunk lid with spoiler - $250 (clear coat peeling badly on spoiler, a bit of rust on the lip of the trunk lid).
Roof rails - $200 (in pretty solid overall condition).
2-tone interior - $350 (includes all seats, door panels and gray dash and center console trim pieces; driver's seat rough, but rest in good shape).
Dual-twin exhaust tips - $50 (don't have the means to hack these off, so please bring tools if interested).

Regular GP/GTP parts

HUD - $80 (includes HUD unit, dash cover and switches; wire harnesses can be included if needed).
DIC - $40 (works perfectly)
CD Player - $30 (some of the lights stopped working after I opened up the faceplate to swap display light bulbs, but the display works and it plays CDs without a problem).

Obviously a ton of other parts, but that'll get things started.

Thread Info