Gauging Interest the E36V8 Bimmer

Just gauging interest as I have a wedding coming up, and as much as I'd love to make this project 100%, I'm out of time and money....

The build thread is below and includes specific detail (So please read it if you are interested! Or even if you aren't, its a pretty cool build!)

But the cliffs:

$4500 (I have FAR more into it, Not hugely flexible on this)

Body/Shell:
1997 BMW 318 Sedan - Semi gutted (Front and rear seats, Dash board, etc, but no carpet or headliner, no climate control)
I have everything to make the interior complete minus the carpet/headliner/climate in a pile.
Some sort of 'sport' BMW wheel with nearly new Dunlop rubber.
All lights/signals work minus the reverse lights (but the wiring is in place for it, may fix it in the next few days anyways).
Seats are manual leather, no sunroof, Condor Speed Power Steering Bypass
Has Sunpro gauges, only the Temp is wired up at the moment, but The Factory speedo and gas gauges work off the BMW sensors/Diff (So no tach at the moment, but an Oil pressure and voltage gauge are present and need to be wired, again, will probably do this shortly anyways).

--- RUST FREE* ---

(There is a spec in the battery tray, but this is a Lousiana car, sub frame, strut towers, etc, all mint/flawless)

Body is multi-colored (Blue trunk, chalkboard painted hood/roof, etc, its got dents/scratches/etc, this is meant to be a track rat, not a show car).

Driveline:
1998 Explorer short block
Ford Racing GT-40X full alum. heads (Comparable to AFR 165's if I recall correctly)
E36V8 Swap kit brackets and Trans member
E30 Poly engine mounts
Pro Form Roller Rockers
Comp Cam
Explorer 'front dress' and alternator.
Fatty 4 core Summit radiator
Efans wired to Thermostatic switch (Adjustable, don't recall what its set to at the moment)
1993 Mustang wiring harness, And appropriate ECU
All sensors switched over to 1993 Mustang affair
MSD Cap/Rotor
Ford Racing wires
Ford Racing valve covers
30lb Injectors
90mm Granatelli MAF setup for 30lb injectors
Spectre re-useable air filter (4 inch)
ProForm intake manifold
65mm Explorer TB Conversion
Ebay shorty headers
Full custom exhaust: 2.5 off the collectors to 3inch Y at the front, into Flowmaster 10 at the stock e36 location
Explorer throttle cable modified to E36 Throttle
199X E36 Hydro Clutch master to-
Hydro slave with Braded stainless line (Forgot the brand off hand, not cheap...)
1993 t5 trans with a Hurst shifter and FRPP Cobra 5 speed knob
RAM HD Clutch (Rated for 400Tq)
1993 Mustang Driveshaft
Jags that Run rear diff flange onto the Driveshaft (adapts 'medium body' diffs to a 1310/1330 Ujoint)
Pre 1996 M3 LSD Rear end (3.91 rear gear, REAL LSD), with 325 flanges
199X E36 Medium diff axles (This is to make use of stock 318 rear knuckles with the M3 diff and 325 flanges)

I'm sure there is plenty more that I'm forgetting that is in this build, it has taken me a full year of weekends and spare time to take this from a total heap of a 318 into the 90% finished monster that it is today.

The car runs and drives!!!!!!! There are multiple videos up, but as mentioned, this car is 90% done in my eyes (outside of the body).

Buttoning up that it needs (and will be addressed by me as time goes on the longer it takes to sell):

It will probably need an oil cooler for someone to track this aggressivily
No Tach at the moment
A fan over-ride can and should be wired into the cockpit
NO WINDOW SWITCHES (planned on just locking everything in place and removing the motors)
On that same note, the driver side window keeps coming off the damn track, I've replaced the track guides, I'll try fixing it again in the near future.
There is a little 'filler' panel that needs to be made to block off the firewall into the car (4 inches by 2 or so, I have a mock up, may finish it soon anyways).

The suspension and brakes are all OEM affair, and the sway bars are currently off of the car, but it still handles/stops accelerates fine as it is. This is probably a solid 50% of the reason why I'm looking to sell it. I can't stomach putting the $ into it to turn it into the track attacking machine it can be suspension/brake wise with my wedding, and other financial priorities at this point. Compounding this is the fact that I picked up another manual transmission sedan that is bone stock that screams potential that I have far less tied up into.

I will consider parting it out if there is interest in the full drive-line and or all the swap parts as a package.

I will swell the SWAP components for $2500, this would include:
Engine and trans Wiring Harness already setup to work for the E36 Chassis and a 3g Explorer Alternator, Proven to work, and work well .
Un-Equal length generic shorty headers with custom Y-pipe and full 3 inch exhaust to a flow master 10 that was custom built for an E36 Sedan.
E36V8 Motor and Trans swap Brackets, along with manual.
Poly (Ireland Engineering) E30 motor mounts to use with the swap brackets.
Brand new Trans mount that works WITH the swap trans member.
Fox mustang Driveshaft with JTR Rear flange, brand new 1310/1330 Ujoint, is the correct length to work with a Fox T5 in a E36 sedan and bolts straight up to a Medium case Diff.
Hydro Clutch Conversion and lines.

I will sell the full drive line for $2,000, this would include:
FULL 5.0 Explorer longblock top to bottom (many/most parts are new as outlined, which includes a 90mm Maf tuned to 30lb injectors that are installed, ProForm intake, FRPP GT-40X Alum heads, Fully assembled with FRPP Springs/valves/seats/etc)
Oil pickup and Pan were switched to BRAND NEW fox mustang parts, and I replaced the oil pump with a high volume unit.
ProForm 1.6 Roller Rockers
intake spacer
Brand new RAM HD Clutch
Fox T5 Trans

I will sell the wheels and tires for $500 (Tires are like-new Dunlops, rims are very clean, and can be seen in the pictures below, will only sell if the car gets parted)

I will sell the 3.91 M3 LSD Diff with 325 Flanges for $250 (but will only sell this if the car gets parted)

I will sell the shell (Which is rust free, from LA, no sunroof, PS Bypassed) for $650 (but will only sell if the car gets parted)

http://www.thechicagogarage.com/forum/member-builds/58401-project-e36v8.html

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
And before the peanut gallery chimes in,

Yes I've put a year of work into this, Yes I'll miss it, but I really don't make enough money to finish building and to track this thing as a dedicated track car, and won't be able to afford changing platforms to a clean shell for more than a year which just isn't viable.

Thread Info