WTB - LS coil packs used or new

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
you gonna use a 12v-5v buck converter to provide the lsx coil logic signal from the OEM coil firing signal?

ive looked at it for the 3800 in a dual coil setup, its entirely doable.

my only question was the response time of a straight buck converter stepping down the oem 12v firing voltage to a 5v logic signal for each coil pairing vs using a buck for 5v supply and using the 12v to trigger a switching transistor through an optical isolator

i thought of the simplest being a voltage divider circuit.... but alas i have no lsx coilpacks to determine the current draw of the 5v logic circuit to produce proper resister values.

our ICM limits the current to the coils so even if the lsx is also current limited at least being CNP the spark only has to jump one gap instead of 2.
we are lucky that in DHP you can alter dwell and ignition settings for being able to compensate for any conversion circuit issues and of course bumping up the timing lead if any delay is found.

keep us informed of what you find....someday i will get around to playing with em...someday

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
:eek2:

I don't have a f@cking clue what you just said! :rofl:

I bought a used set of Honda CBR pencil coils with harness off EBAY to do my Coil-On-Plug setup because that's what Honda guys do and its a real clean and simple look... but they require a spark plug with a removable terminal/tip... and the only plugs I found that fit my car are Denso Iridiums ($10+ ea. and they seem to be on national backorder on top of it) so my buddy said he has done a few similar setups with LS coilpacks (which allow me to run standard 4306 plugs) so it looks like im changing my plans

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Just take a bunch of regular plugs to a grinding place and they will grind the tip down to the correct diameter and if you really want to you can thread them but you don't really need to for that style of terminal
hell you could do it with a bench grinder and some practice dude
the LSX coil uses constant power and ground and uses a5 volt on off signal to trigger on its power transistor to supply power to the coil primary winding
I'm almost positive but the Dodge system uses high side PCM controlled 12 volt directly to the coils through a four wire connector.
So like us you would be stuck turning your 12 volt signal to a5 volt logic signal to use the LSX coils

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
Just take a bunch of regular plugs to a grinding place and they will grind the tip down to the correct diameter and if you really want to you can thread them but you don't really need to for that style of terminal
hell you could do it with a bench grinder and some practice dude
the LSX coil uses constant power and ground and uses a5 volt on off signal to trigger on its power transistor to supply power to the coil primary winding
I'm almost positive but the Dodge system uses high side PCM controlled 12 volt directly to the coils through a four wire connector.
So like us you would be stuck turning your 12 volt signal to a5 volt logic signal to use the LSX coils

gotcha... right now the car is waste spark (not sure if PCM does 12v or ground to fire the coil - but you are correct) and with my new EMS I can run individual ignition... the CBR coilpacks I currently have are only 2 wire (positive and ground) which is another reason I chose them because if I wanted to I could wire them up now (in pairs) and even run waste spark system with them (and burn out the coil driver in the factory pcm) - I know a couple people have ran ls coils but I never looked into how they wired their system... I might just have to grind the spark plug tips down and maybe once I get it tuned and running right switch to the Densos... hmmm...

either way... learned something new - thanks!

Thread Info

• SRT41320
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list