2006 BMW 550i - Buy it stupid

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Thanks guys. It is a bad ass car which is why I'm always going back and forth on keeping it.

Mileage.... If you drive it like you're in a perpetual run from the police, 16mpg on the dot. Some people say they get 20's mixed driving out of them but that doesn't sound like any fun.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I don't know how they're making any money on this. They gave me exactly what I was selling it for ($17500) and the price of the car I was buying was already negotiated. Do dealers really make this little on cars? It was an intense back and forth negotiation but I didn't think I rode them that hard. This doesn't seem like much markup though.

2006 BMW 550i $19,977 - Woodfield Lexus - Schaumburg, IL 60173 Dealer

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
selling my 545i now although i've been lazy and only put it on cars and need to do more with it. on one hand i think the stick is cool and hard to find and people that want it will pay a premium for it but they are also hard to locate, only so many looking for that...

This is exactly it. If you're really patient you'll find someone who needs a stick but you're limiting your buyer to probably 5% of prospective car buyers. At $17,500 I got one tire kicker and one guy who said he wanted it but flaked. I was $5000 below the next cheapest 2006 with a 6 speed and had more options and less miles.

As someone who has a tendency to not keep cars very long, it's probably swayed me from buying another manual transmission car, especially considering how nice the automatics are these days.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Sometimes when a dealer tells you they're losing money on a car they're not lying. The buyer that got flaky on me contacted me the day after I sold the car to explain that he found my message in his spam folder and had just assumed I decided to keep the car (at the time I told him I was on the fence about selling it).

Fast forward to yesterday and he emails me asking about it and whether or not I was really being honest about it being a good car (I was) and asked if I wouldn't mind telling him what the dealer paid me for it because he was trying to haggle with them and they insisted that they were losing money on the deal. So I told him and he just emailed me back...

He paid $14,900 which is a steal and a half. I almost wonder if one of their sales guys roasted the clutch or something and they decided to ditch the car because they went down $5000 in price in the course of 6 weeks. The buyer had very little experience with a manual transmission and it showed when he drove the car with me so I doubt he'd be able to pickup on any clutch issues.

It's kind of cool to see the deal from both sides though. Even if the car ends up needing a clutch... 15k. That is such a great deal for that car.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i was pretty lazy i didn't even put up a real ad here or bmw boards, i got few leads though. this is actually the first guy, and after over a month, that is a real lead. one came in after him and is interested if the deal falls through. he showed me some others that were cheaper and lower mileage he was looking at but i was able to pull him up from his original offer, cuz there's only 1 white for sale now in the country and it's mine!!

Thread Info