FWD-AWD-RWD - Open track

jvert

Go Bulls and Cubs
Jul 27, 2006
I have been going to open track events for 2 years now and have only driven RWD on the track (93 cobra mustang). Just wanted to get input on others track junkies cars and experiences with either FWD-AWD-RWD.

I been looking for a new track car that I wont be scared out of my mind if I run it into a wall. As I look I have been looking for another fox stang. But also have been eyeing a 99 civic si. Budget would be to stay under 5k so evo's/sti's are out as much as I would kill to have one.

So what do you all have experience with and what would you all recommend to make a good fun track car?

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Just an opinion from having other cars and belonging to other forums.

RWD>AWD>FWD

I think the AWD is great, but it can create a lot of understeer.

Now if you picked up a fox body and stick the IRS under it from a cobra, you'll be golden. That is something I have wanted to do.

Not completely necessary from what I've heard. Can get stellar results with the SRA with the proper setup. With the IRS you are adding cost, complexity, and more points of failure. I mean take a look at the current new Mustang, properly setup SRA cars are more than capable of holding their own against IRS systems.

Personally I would look for a low HP, FWD car. I don't know what type of racing you like or whatever, but I have always been a fan of momentum cars. CRX or Civic, or an SVT Focus/SVT Contour. Just my .02

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Oh didn't even see that you had an FSVT, personally I would do a higher mileage one from the first couple of years, in 3-door, a little shorter and especiallyfor an autocross course a little more maneuverable. Plus you are already familiar with the way the car drives giving you that little bit more edge with the driving experience.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
There's one wall at gingerman...just stick to that track and you'll be fine

Exactly, take it easy through turn 11 (where the wall is at) and you can go balls out the rest of the track with no fear. A focus SVT would be my first choice to do this, DD or not. A fox mustang would take SOOO much work to be any fun around a road course. The focus would ruin it with a new driver.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Any car can be made to handle well, but your best mod is going to be the driver mod. Get something you're comfortable with. If you like the way your fox body handles, look for another one, but don't go all crazy with mods right off the bat. I have my car because I drove SHOs on the street for years before, and did some events with a slightly modded car. My buddy had the track car for sale, and instead of picking what parts I wanted, I bought the whole car.

The more comfortable you are with the car to begin with, the more confident you will be on the track. Then plan your mods accordingly.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Exactly, take it easy through turn 11 (where the wall is at) and you can go balls out the rest of the track with no fear. A focus SVT would be my first choice to do this, DD or not. A fox mustang would take SOOO much work to be any fun around a road course. The focus would ruin it with a new driver.

From what I've been reading, it really doesn't take that much to make the older LX's into nice road race cars. Plus many of them say not to do anything with the motor as it is plenty of power for the weight. Here is a kit that seems pretty all inclusive and would be a really ballsy track car, but I don't know how good it would be on the street...

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_67&products_id=968

Here are some that are far less ballsy and quite a bit less, but still pretty all-inclusive...

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_66

And here is there all-out package, hardly seems worth it though considering this kit would probably be more expensive than the original car...

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_68

ss454

Addict
Feb 22, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Tyler
From what I've been reading, it really doesn't take that much to make the older LX's into nice road race cars. Plus many of them say not to do anything with the motor as it is plenty of power for the weight. Here is a kit that seems pretty all inclusive and would be a really ballsy track car, but I don't know how good it would be on the street...

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_67&products_id=968

Here are some that are far less ballsy and quite a bit less, but still pretty all-inclusive...

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_66

And here is there all-out package, hardly seems worth it though considering this kit would probably be more expensive than the original car...

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_68

:werd:

Maximum motorsports kit + subframe connectors makes a nicely handling car

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Random question, but how do you run a road course with you're typical automatic - no manual control...?

This is one of my problems. With an AutoX track you really dont get going that fast to shift. This last time I went I just left it into first gear. the time before I had the car fast enough to almost run out second gear.

In a road course you'll have high speeds but if you wanna hold a gear then you'll have to manually shift the shifter. This seems to put alot of pressure on the trans since it wasnt really designed to do all of this.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Find a mustang roller with a cage. Like it was mentioned, you don't need to do realy anything to the motor besides
maintenance and a new canton oil pan. Used 302s are a dime a dozen. You can find used MM parts here and there for pretty cheap. You can also find 13" cobra brakes pretty regularly for cheap. Foxes aren't stiff so a good full length sfc kit help a lot.

Check NASAforums too. You might be able to find a CMC car cheap in the off season.

My personal preference is rwd cars. FWD cars tend to understeer and the steering, power, and majority of the brake force takes place on the front axle which isn't ideal.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i've done a my bro and i's turbo miata, my sti, and my buddy's modified mazdaspeed 3. the speed had a lot of power and was fun, could definitely feel the fwd struggling between turning and accelerating.

sti was easy to drive and glazed over my nubness.

miata punished me for nubness and i had to be much more cognizant of my mistakes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info