the little Miata that could

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Its all about the driver, need to start making track days a priority :jg:

The Porsche 911 Turbo S is an extremely fast car. It makes a mighty 580 horsepower, and gets from zero to sixty in a scant 2.8 seconds. The car has massive capability in the right hands, and can leave just about anything else on the road in the dust. But the driver of this Turbo S had to learn the hard way that a car's performance numbers aren't everything.

This on-board video comes courtesy of Matthew Jackson, who's driving a Spec Miata at Atlanta Motorsports Park during a Porsche Club HPDE (High Performance Driver Education) track day. Spec Miata is a fantastic one-make racing series that pits race-prepped NA and NB Miatas against each other. The engines are left stock, so these cars typically make around 120-130 horsepower—around four times less than the 911 Turbo S. Evening the odds a bit, your typical Spec Miata weighs around 2300 lbs, more than 1000 lbs lighter than the turbo Porsche.

While the Miata is a purpose-built machine meant for the circuit, it should be no match for the mighty 911. However, with a skilled driver at the wheel, the Miata can do magical things on track. Sure, Jackson loses the Turbo S on the straights, but in braking zones and through corners, he's right on that Porsche's bumper. He finds the better line, and really pushes the Miata's brakes to their limits.

Take a few minutes and watch as this poor, unsuspecting Porsche has its mirrors filled by the tiny track car that could.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F91MSFNM8HM

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
That and you gotta remember who's driving the faster car. In reality with good drivers, that 911 would be gone, I've seen spec miatas in real life, they're incredibly slow and hard to watch.

It's another "you don't know what you're watching" videos that someone made to make something look better than it is. Just like the Mustang crash video.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I should find that video of this blue auto corvette in front me at the AB basically staying as far away from the line as possible. Said hes a 1/4 mile guy and car was obviously built for that but said he had a blast. I think everyone should get out on the road track at least once even if not running hard if worried about heat etc.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
The RS I begging for some track time.

I must go forth and HPDE.

one was at gridlife, i think 6 days old?

13620167_1346108692069280_7226704078342016880_n.jpg

and since it has a number it was running a transponder, so:

north: 1:16.036
full: 2:57.784
south: 1:39.033

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
You were talking about watching miata's and them being 'painfully slow' and I was just pointing out they are not but each to their own of course.

To each indeed, racing is fun AF and I hope to hang with you and crew at the next track day. It's not personal, I posted what I did knowing you would come alive. We need more of us on TCG.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info