Heal toe

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
Naw, I'll let the computer do it. Lol

e1489b363796b96f07b6d33dd2c89b4d.jpg

And away to get more data from Harry's lap timer.

8d81f830c1963f2714006859b916f3a3.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
it took me forever to learn how to heel toe, which i'm still improving on, but it's a pretty fun part of the set of skills.

that being said, i got a tune this year that has an auto-blip mode. i've only done it on the way to starbucks, and it works really well.

i avoiding using it all this summer since i like working on the skill. maybe i'll try playing with it the next, i'm sure it would improve my braking!

J-LO

TCG Elite Member
Jul 9, 2013
In Da Hood
ive tried, not very hard , but i tried to learn. i cant seem to keep brake pressure up. and having had auto blip with the Z, its really a no brainer. will be sure to photo step by step of the install and video the set up. then will take everyone for a ride on the track with periscope or something first time I try it out.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
ive tried, not very hard , but i tried to learn. i cant seem to keep brake pressure up. and having had auto blip with the Z, its really a no brainer. will be sure to photo step by step of the install and video the set up. then will take everyone for a ride on the track with periscope or something first time I try it out.

i have to be braking hard to do it. a buddy of mine can do it as effortlessly as breathing, for me to make it work i need to be dive bombing into something and braking pretty hard though. i also don't blip with heel, more like smash with all available footstuffs, although i don't think that part is all that uncommon. i also probably don't modulate the brakes very well, probably like 85%, 65%+blip, 90% or something like that with a total drag time braking larger than it should be but hey, still fun for now. next year i'll try a session with auto blip and see how it affects my times.

weird in your brain when you first use it a few times to not go and blip yourself!

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
heel-toe is as natural to me as regular shifting now BUT I must admit it did take me about a year to get it right. I think I'd be fighting with a computer doing the rev-matching for me now if I got into a car that already did it.. lol

Its natural to me, and I rev-match all the time without the brakes.

But my Focus ST has the most horrible pedal positioning. The gas is so far below the brake pedal in terms of height that unless you are standing on the brakes I cannot reach the gas pedal very well at all with my heel.

Even when standing on the brakes the brake pedal is still taller than the gas pedal.

Oddly enough, the only time Heel/Toe is comfortable in the is when the stock brakes are faded to near uselessness.

They make a pedal mount for the ST that raises the throttle pedal up, and moves it closer to the brake pedal to make it easyer.

Ford did this crappy arrangement to reduce the morons from hitting brake/gas at the same time. While it prevents idiots from doing that, it makes it harder for us to heel/toe.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Its natural to me, and I rev-match all the time without the brakes.

But my Focus ST has the most horrible pedal positioning. The gas is so far below the brake pedal in terms of height that unless you are standing on the brakes I cannot reach the gas pedal very well at all with my heel.

Even when standing on the brakes the brake pedal is still taller than the gas pedal.

Oddly enough, the only time Heel/Toe is comfortable in the is when the stock brakes are faded to near uselessness.

They make a pedal mount for the ST that raises the throttle pedal up, and moves it closer to the brake pedal to make it easyer.

Ford did this crappy arrangement to reduce the morons from hitting brake/gas at the same time. While it prevents idiots from doing that, it makes it harder for us to heel/toe.

Hit the nail on the head...pedal placement is key to good heel-toeing...if the pedals are spaced too far or at different heights, makes it much more difficult...also I've never actually done heel and toes, more like side of foot...at least that's how I was taught

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Hit the nail on the head...pedal placement is key to good heel-toeing...if the pedals are spaced too far or at different heights, makes it much more difficult...also I've never actually done heel and toes, more like side of foot...at least that's how I was taught

chunky shoes can help. i can't do it in racing shoes which i just use for karting. at least i haven't even tried again in an eternity.

i drove a formula 3000 at yas marina and i got in the car and started panicking because chunky shoes were not my friend. like 80% of the time when i tried to hit the brake or gas i ended up hitting both. thankfully they had loaner racing shoes and i was able to run out and swap some quickly, else i would have been fuuuucked.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill

My natural method is to roll my ankle right, its how I heel/toe in the TransAm, and how I did it in the G6 GTP. Part of me wishes I still had the G6, it was actually a really fun car to drive, even though it was a heavy porker at 3530lbs.

With the Focus I can't do that, I have to angle my foot about 45° counter clockwise so the ball of my foot is on the brake, and then I have to drop my heel onto the gas pedal. The distance is so far it makes it really hard to keep smooth modulation on the brakes.

This is what I'm talking about: Left is stock, right is with spacer.

293-500.jpg

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
My natural method is to roll my ankle right, its how I heel/toe in the TransAm, and how I did it in the G6 GTP. Part of me wishes I still had the G6, it was actually a really fun car to drive, even though it was a heavy porker at 3530lbs.

With the Focus I can't do that, I have to angle my foot about 45° counter clockwise so the ball of my foot is on the brake, and then I have to drop my heel onto the gas pedal. The distance is so far it makes it really hard to keep smooth modulation on the brakes.

This is what I'm talking about: Left is stock, right is with spacer.

293-500.jpg

My C30 was like that before picture...such a PITA to try and heel toe...zero clutch feedback didn't help either :picard:

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
chunky shoes can help. i can't do it in racing shoes which i just use for karting. at least i haven't even tried again in an eternity.

i drove a formula 3000 at yas marina and i got in the car and started panicking because chunky shoes were not my friend. like 80% of the time when i tried to hit the brake or gas i ended up hitting both. thankfully they had loaner racing shoes and i was able to run out and swap some quickly, else i would have been fuuuucked.

Yeah, racing shoes are kind of nice. I always find it to shift smoothly when I have a brand new pair of shoes that hasn't been broken in yet. It feels like I'm walking around on a wooden sole, no feeling at all.

Race shoes are completely the opposite, so thin you can feel the pedals almost like you are bare foot. That takes some getting used to as well but is ultimately better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info