Eh? What do you think....

EVLSVT

Banned
Dec 15, 2004
I have a 2001 SVT Cobra, and I have always dreamed of making it some amazing car. (more amazing then what it is, of course :cool1: )

Anyways, I just got a job where I will be making a shitload of $$$ (i'm a waiter, i am 17 so yes, it is a ton of $$$ for me haha)

And now i can pretty much do whatever I want to the car... I will have about 16K to spend on it in a few months, and I was wondering what you guys think about this...

(Like 00SVTDubs) get the engine...
Forged Bottom End With...
Rods
Pistons
New Cams
Bored (sp?)
Stroked
Then slap on either a D1 procharger, or a HP Twin Turbo Stage III kit... (this is what i can not decide)
I want to really make an insane car, somewhere in the 750-850HP range...
I will have enough money to do it i believe, i just want to know what you guys think of the idea, and what you would do about the forced induction. (note: no nitrous)

I dont know of any good tuners in the area, and I wont be doing any of the work myself, preferably i would like to take it to a performance shop and have them do the whole car for me, would that be a good idea?

the only shop close to me is: www.asscracing.com I dont know if you guys know anything about them or whatnot, but if you have any good tuners / shops that could build my car for me that would be great.

(If you know someone i could trust handing my car over with alot of $$$ and having them do everything to get it re-done w/ insane internals and forced induction etc...)

Tell me what you think :headbang:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Read as much as possible about the various options so you don't sound like you know nothing when you talk to the shop. Talk with people who have done the things you want to do and see what they think about their mods. The more info you have, the better your finished car will be. Ask around to find a good shop [like you are already doing]. This is important. When you decide on a shop, discuss what you want with them, Ask them why they want to use certain components rather than doing it other ways. Be thorough with your discussion and make sure you and the shop are thinking the same thing. It's your car so you are the boss. Research thoroughly and don't rush. I spent thousands on the wrong set ups when I was a kid by trusting other people and hurrying to mod. Now I try to completely understand a mod before I buy it. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :biggthump

I

IxL4

Flyn high again said:
Read as much as possible about the various options so you don't sound like you know nothing when you talk to the shop. Talk with people who have done the things you want to do and see what they think about their mods. The more info you have, the better your finished car will be. Ask around to find a good shop [like you are already doing]. This is important. When you decide on a shop, discuss what you want with them, Ask them why they want to use certain components rather than doing it other ways. Be thorough with your discussion and make sure you and the shop are thinking the same thing. It's your car so you are the boss. Research thoroughly and don't rush. I spent thousands on the wrong set ups when I was a kid by trusting other people and hurrying to mod. Now I try to completely understand a mod before I buy it. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :biggthump

Use those words of wisdom...

I have a bad tendency to rush into things as well... but recently began to take my time and researching and am much happier with the results

wtw5974

What in the Hell?
Mar 2, 2004
Before you do anything, come up with a plan for the car. What do you want all the mods for? Street/Drag, Drag Only, Street/Auto-X, Auto-X Only, or a little of everything? Start you planning with the suspension and chassie first, then drive train, finaly motor, and last interior mods and exterior. It is too easy to dump a much of money to make HP and it is very addictive and fun to see huge HP and TQ numbers on the dyno. However, when it all comes down to it "With out suspension, it is all just smoke" Have fun! :biggthump

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
EVLSVT said:
I want to really make an insane car, somewhere in the 750-850HP range...
Thought of this earlier but didnt make mention.....

Do you have any idea what 750rwhp is??? Ive been driving a 500rwhp car for over a year and Id be unable to handle a 600rwhp car let alone a 750+rwhp one.

My advice is to take steps. IE: 400rwhp --> 500rwhp ---> 600rwhp and so on and so on. Coming from a basicly stock NA 4V even 400rwhp will be alot to you.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
hj16 said:
Thought of this earlier but didnt make mention.....

Do you have any idea what 750rwhp is??? Ive been driving a 500rwhp car for over a year and Id be unable to handle a 600rwhp car let alone a 750+rwhp one.

My advice is to take steps. IE: 400rwhp --> 500rwhp ---> 600rwhp and so on and so on. Coming from a basicly stock NA 4V even 400rwhp will be alot to you.

I agree with Hank. Unless you have expereince with that kind of power, it would be best to step up to it slowly.

If I could start over.... I would start with driver mods. :D

EVLSVT

Banned
Dec 15, 2004
Area One Motorsports in Franklin Park - what is the website for that

Also... should i go with stage III turbos? like the 67mm turbos? or are stage II faster-response etc...

I know what you mean by start low , thats what i want to do , i want to have a car that if i wanted to, could "up the boost" to get 700+ hp, but i could start it at 400hp... etc...

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
If I had a 99 Cobra and 16K, I'd trade the 99 and about 10 grand in on a used 03 or 04. Then take the other $8,000 and make the 03 haul ass (imagine 8G to invest in a Cobra). :headbang: :burnout: :headbang:

But if you love the 99 the more power to ya. Don't forget though, your tranny and IRS will not survive the HP numbers you are dreaming of.

EVLSVT

Banned
Dec 15, 2004
Well i have an 01 cobra, not a 99, but yea i know about tranny / irc / etc...
I figure it would be too much of a hassle to find a nice black 03 / 04 , and i got a REALLY nice deal on this 01 cobra (used w/ 13k miles - for 19k - last year)

I think i am going to stick with this, hasnt given me ANY problems so far, and its just my baby what can i say :)

Anyways... What do you mean by 67's are overkill, i believe stage III is 67, stage II is 57, why not just spend the extra money for the "overkill" i mean, wont i be able to make MORE HP / TQ with less boost using bigger turbos? or no...

But would the downside to 67's be that more turbo lag compared to 57's?

Also... Yes, i want to build my car to be able to handle 750-850 hp no problem. (like if i wanted to, i would just turn up the boost so i would be in that HP range) But i would keep it at low low boost to start off, and once i get used to it, i'd just turn it up...

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
EVLSVT said:
But would the downside to 67's be that more turbo lag compared to 57's?
Bingo.

Twin 57s and a built motor will get you 800rwhp without any effort. They'll also be fully spooled by 3200~ opposed to 67s which would be in about 1K higher. Twin 57s can handle over 1000rwhp...theres no need to go to 67s IMO. 60s would be okay....but 67s are WAY overkill

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info