Da Bears and Da Future

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Here's part of an article by Brad Biggs from the Sun Times. Agree? Disagree? I think the guy has some good points. [Obviously, Terry Shea is no longer part of the team].

"Here is a 10-step plan toward success:

FIX THE OFFENSE.

Wouldn't it be something if this could be done in one fell swoop? First, coach Lovie Smith needs to determine if he wants to continue with his current scheme, and if so, if Terry Shea will remain as coordinator. From the sound of things, Shea is in real jeopardy of not being back. If he is, he needs to repair relationships and gain the trust of fellow assistants and players. Both parties were routinely unhappy with him, and if you think you've seen this before, so has Angelo with John Shoop.

SETTLE ON A QUARTERBACK.

The probable passer of the future remains Rex Grossman, but with the fourth pick, the Bears have a chance to get a franchise quarterback if juniors Matt Leinart of USC and Aaron Rodgers of California leave school early. If college scouting director Greg Gabriel identifies one of these two as a sure star, it might be hard to pass up.

FIND A SOLID BACKUP QUARTERBACK.

You got a sense as early as training camp that trouble was brewing if Grossman went down. Backup Jonathan Quinn made extra work for groundskeepers with all the divots his errant passes chewed up. His presence is the single biggest error in Angelo's regime, and the general manager has hinted he wants more competition for Grossman than just Chad Hutchinson, who played better than anyone expected in starting the final five games. Two-time MVP Kurt Warner will be available and remains a possibility. He got the New York Giants off to a 5-4 start before being pulled.

TACKLE LEFT TACKLE.

If the Bears learned anything, it is that the left tackle is not in the building. Qasim Mitchell may be better served with a move inside, and Marc Colombo was exposed in the final two games. It's possible he will be best as a swing tackle. What the Bears have to figure out after leading the league with 66 sacks allowed is if they will solve the gaping hole via free agency or the draft. Walter Jones would be a catch if the Seattle Seahawks don't retain the five-time Pro Bowler.

"If [the left tackle isn't on the team], we're going to have to find a way to get that done,'' Angelo said. "It's that simple. Other people do, and we're going to have to find that way. We're not going to sit here and go through this again.''

GET THEIR KICKS.

Given Paul Edinger's failings on kickoffs, he might have paved his way out the door by missing a league-high nine field goals. Edinger is due a $350,000 raise to $1.1 million next season, and the amount of that increase alone could almost pay for his replacement. The problem is finding a reliable kicker; you can't cut loose the known for an unknown. It's worth pointing out, too, that Angelo was not a big fan of Edinger from the beginning.

FIND A GO-TO PLAYER ON OFFENSE.

With Marty Booker, the Bears always thought they could use an upgrade at wide receiver. But before entertaining such a grand idea, they first must find someone as good as the guy they traded away. None of the receivers on the roster is worthy of being more than a No. 3, and without even analyzing the situation, Smith stepped forward and hung a "Help Wanted'' sign in front of the building.

"We could use a little bit of firepower on the offensive side of the ball, one of the skill positions,'' Smith said. "You really kind off start from there.''

The Bears could use the fourth pick on former USC receiver Mike Williams or Michigan's Braylon Edwards. Or they might make a push for Muhsin Muhammad, who will be out in Carolina because of a $10 million roster bonus written into his contract. He had 16 touchdowns this season and would be an instant upgrade who wouldn't bring the kind of baggage Oakland's Jerry Porter has.

STOCK UP AT GUARD.

Ruben Brown proved to be a terrific offseason pickup and would have been worthy of a ninth straight Pro Bowl trip had he not gone on injured reserve with a neck injury. But Brown will be 33 next month, and fellow veteran Rex Tucker is likely to be cut after June 1 if the Bears want to free up more cap room. Left tackle isn't the only need on the line because Terrence Metcalf and Steve Edwards haven't proven themselves. If the Bears can find a guard who also can be a backup center, that's a plus because it's their thinnest position.

MAKE A DECISION ON R.W.

Angelo can free up some money after June 1 by letting cornerback R.W. McQuarters go. He's scheduled to make $3.05 million in '05, but they can't let him go without using a high pick or finding a cornerback to step in. If they deem no offensive players are worthy of the No. 4 pick, Miami cornerback Antrel Rolle could make an instant impact.

FIND ANOTHER LINEBACKER.

With Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs, the Bears have a great combination, but they fall off the ledge after that. Hunter Hillenmeyer has been serviceable, but finding someone who can play in space would be a real plus for the defense. As difficult as it is to envision the No. 4 pick being used on Rolle, it's even harder to think of the Bears drafting Texas linebacker Derrick Johnson.

REPLACE A-TRAIN.

The Bears found out true depth at running back isn't as important as that at quarterback, but nonetheless they have to bring in someone to take the place of the franchise's fifth all-time leading rusher Anthony Thomas. The one thing for sure about this draft is that it will be stocked with good backs."

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
fastfocus said:
fuck the bears.. they havent been good since i was 1 year old... and they never will.. gave up on them long time ago...now i rather see the packers win than the bears...

Oh man, you have no way of remembering the Bear-Packer rivalries of the 80s. That was football. The asterisk [*] game where the Bears had instant replay take away the win on a very controversial call. Ditka made them put an asterisk in the record books. The towel game where one of the GB players had a towel stuck in his pants with a hit list of Bear players he was going to take out. The Super Bowl year where the Bears beat them twice and used Refrigerator Perry as a receiver.

I can't wait until Favre retires. He's already going downhill. :biggthump

The Super Bowl year ['85-'86] was the best football year ever. The killer 46 Bear Defense was ruthless and overpowering.

Walter Payton, Jim McMahon, Willie Gault, Otis Wilson, William Perry, Steve McMichael, Dan Hampton, etc. made the '80s a great time to be a Bear fan.

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
I mostly agree with those points....

I think they made a good choice going with Turner for the offense, and I hope they good a good replacement for the line coach cause it needs help!!!!

As far as QB goes, I think you gotta stick with Grossman. Maybe make George the #2, and keep either Krezel or Hutch for #3.... then dump the left overs.

We need a WR! I hope thats were they go with the draft. It would be nice to have some stub playmaker on our team for once. I would love to see Terrel gone, but I guess he could be a #2 or slot guy.

I think a-train and RW need to be let go, and we need to hunt for a shutdown corner and another backup rb.

I would also dump edinger. One of the best college kickers ever will be available in this draft, Mike Nugent from OSU.

I am not so sure I agree with looking for help at LB is smart. I think with urlacher (healthy), briggs and hillenmeyer they will be good. The biggest point being keeping urlachers hamstring(s) in check!

Anyways, I suppose after such a dismal year and still only finishing 3 games out of the playoff hunt (weak ass NFC :( ) we should have decent expectations for next year.

But lets see what they do about fixing the team....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Flyn
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list