Issue's with dealership..

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Well When i went to go pick up my cobra I was making sure there was no scratches etc, (cause you know how dealerships are). And One of the tech's walks up to me and says.. I hope you know that if you do ANY mods to the car we can and will void your warrenty. So im thinking' WTF! So anyway he goes on this whole thing on where if you even modify the exhaust or the intake etc etc they will void it. Now if i am not mistaken, they can only void your warrenty if something goes wrong and they can prove that the aftermarket part you put on caused it. The only reason i ask this at all is cause the dealership gave me a package where i get free maintanance, and tires for 60,000 miles and loaner cars when my car is in for service. Otherwise I would not care. Any insight? Oh yea, also the tech said, if i went to another dealership, got work done there and then came back to the one i bought the car from, that the service dept would find out and void my warrenty. If all this is true, then WTF!!!! Sorry for such a long paragraph but i need to cover all ends before i start modding away..

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Sounds like you are stuck doing little mods until you feel like telling the dealer to fuck themselves.

Id just stick with the easy to undo mods until you're sure the car doesnt any problems...IE: CAI, Cat Back, Shifter

Personally I waited till 2000miles until I did anything to make sure the car didnt have any problems. Then I modded the piss outta it :biggthump

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Just ask him next time whether the 21% oxygen mix in your tires or the aftermarket DOT 2 blinker fluid will void it too. Then ask him if he runs after every car he wishes he owned to talk crap to the owner.

They have to give you loaners when you come in for service, and wash and vacuum your car too if you want. It's called SVT premium service and it's free (although you have to remind them about it). And make sure their free maintenance includes the Motorcraft Premium Blend oil, and the premium plugs. Pure dyno oil is crap. I hope you didn't pay too much for that! Although I think I would be able to make it back from them on that free tire deal. :burnout:

They can't void your warranty for going to another dealer (although I don't know how that free maintenance deal works). They can't void the warranty on your foglights because you put a CAI in. Or the warranty on the MAF sensor because you put a catback on. Now, yes, they technically have to prove that any mod they want to void the warranty on caused the failure at issue, but you'd still have to fight it. It's a common sense thing. Don't walk in with a head gasket leaking and your 150-shot injectors and 2.76 pulley sitting there. But don't let them tell you that your catback caused the wheel hop that cracked a half-shaft either.

I tried to feel out my dealer for mods - I talked to the head service techs and they agreed they were not mod friendly. If they ever start to give me crap, I may start going to a more friendly dealer.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I called SVT when I bought my car and asked what I could modify that was warranty friendly. The answer was cat back and CAI. Ford has since backed off on the CAI approval but as far as I know, nobody gives you hassles for a cat back. The cars were originally designed with a freer flowing exhaust and then Ford had to muzzle them drastically to pass Federal sound regulations since the blower noise is included in the measurements.

It sounds like your dealer is going to be nothing but hassles when you get work done. You may want to forget about the maintenance and tires and go to a friendlier dealer such as Sutton or Packey Webb. Any dealer will give you the free rental. That's included with an SVT purchase.

Hawkinson

Hawkinson....USED to be a fair place to deal with. No that little billy Hawkinson is running or runing things there....I'll avoid the place big time.
Our "issues" with them were strange and billy had some underling reply and give us a blab,blab,blab I'm sorry answer. They just don't care anymore about the customer. :dunno:

Racerx66

BiG MeMBeR
Apr 10, 2004
Go back to the same tech and tell him you have a bad memory. Then ask him to put everything he said in writting. Then sit back and watch him eat his words. If you're lucky and he does put in on the dealers letterhead... go get an attorney and sue the crap out of them. :headbang:

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Fastronald said:
Sounds like the idiots at Hawkinson Ford in Oak Lawn :dunno:

That's MY dealer...and they ain't gonna see my car EVER again. I almost got busted there. Maybe it's those turds up at Joliet Rd. & RT 45??? Please let us know will ya? (I saw a few posts later that it was Hawkinson, I knew it)

You can try Victor Ford, Rod Baker, Sutton, Just PM me for more details.

Fear not my friend and MOD away...Just do it right.

Dyno the car to confirm it ain't a dog...like 355 at the rear wheels and then learn to get the car down the track at a 12.7 on street tires and then begin to mod. Trust me, it's a good lesson. Once you can do that, it's all down hill.

You see that post with the beautifull blond....That's HIS tunner. Now don't go flamming me Hank.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info