Suspect with crowbar shot by police outside Carls Jr

ss454

Addict
Feb 22, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Tyler
MONTEREY PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- A suspect armed with a crowbar was shot outside of a Carl's Jr. restaurant in Monterey Park on Monday morning.

Authorities say the incident began with the suspect breaking windows at Carl's Jr. in the 1200 block of Avenida Cesar Chavez just before 9:30 a.m. The suspect then walked inside, while workers and customers ran outside.

Police arrived as the suspect was exiting the fast-food restaurant. After repeatedly telling the suspect to drop the weapon, the suspect was Tasered.

Police said the Taser was ineffective, and the suspect swung the three-foot metal bar at officers twice. At least one officer opened fire on the suspect.

The suspect was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

No one else was injured in the incident. The officer-involved shooting is under investigation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJmvhDbgxlk

This shitbag had it coming. Looked like he was coming at the other cop. Does TCG think the shooting is justified?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
That crowbar could do some serious damage, so yes, I feel the shooting was justified as he was looking like he was about to hit the officer. If a taser to the face does not take someone down they are more than likely under the influence of some type of drug and one shot may not even take them down. Why chance it?

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
shot to the shoulder would suffice, or a few to the legs. Justified, yes though. He went against the authority and lost..

If you bring 'deadly force' (such as a crowbar) to a fight to Police will return with deadly force. A shoulder hit is such a terrible problem in court because a gun is not EVER classified as something used to injur. A gun is to kill. simple as that. You DO NOT pull that trigger for any reason but to eliminate a deadly threat. Taser was used, no effect most likely due to the thick coat. Cops had no choice IMO

Shooting was justified by the K9 officer. The second officer will probably get in a bit of trouble. (first 5 shots were K9, Second set of 5 were the officer that was about to be crow-barred)

To the comments of 'not so many times' although i do agree, adrenaline has a big issue on how many shots are fired. I have read articles that say how hard it is to stop pulling that trigger when life is threatened. It is not uncommon for a very friegtened or threatened officer to empty a magazine on a single subject. When your life and family are flashing through your mind, your finger just keeps going click, click, click. It's a natural human reaction

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I think the last thing I'd do is pretend to take a swing at an officer when there are multiple guns drawn on me.

I don't feel too bad for the perp, he was probably a scumbag anyway. But why didn't the police let the dog loose after the ineffective taser shot?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I wouldn't want my dog being hit with a crowbar either.

The animal lover in me hates to say it, but isn't that one of the reasons they have police dogs? The biggest reason I think is to chase down criminals on foot, but I thought they were also used to alleviate situations like this.

They don't give dogs to police just to have as pets so the officers don't get lonely.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
The animal lover in me hates to say it, but isn't that one of the reasons they have police dogs? The biggest reason I think is to chase down criminals on foot, but I thought they were also used to alleviate situations like this.

They don't give dogs to police just to have as pets so the officers don't get lonely.

You're in my head!! This again.

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes

A dog is an asset. They are very expensive and hard to train. The officer creates an obvious bond with his 'partner', so why on earth would he put the dog in obvious danger. The clown was dumb enough to motion the pipe bender at the cop, why would you think he would hesitate from following through on a dog? Would you rather he hit and kill the dog, then get shot?

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
And don't take this as me defending the criminal, I just think they probably could have handled the situation a little differently.

But it is likely this guy was screwed up in the head, and he probably would have ended up killing someone anyway. Really, anyone that taunts officers with a crowbar is missing the part of the brain that reasons the consequences of your actions.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
A dog is an asset. They are very expensive and hard to train. The officer creates an obvious bond with his 'partner', so why on earth would he put the dog in obvious danger. The clown was dumb enough to motion the pipe bender at the cop, why would you think he would hesitate from following through on a dog? Would you rather he hit and kill the dog, then get shot?

So if we're not going to put the dogs in harm's way, what purpose do they serve? Why bother training the dog if he can't subdue a perp with a weapon? Do they train the dogs so they can get their master a beer?

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I just think they probably could have handled the situation a little differently.

That is easy to say when you are armchair QB'ing the situation after the fact.

So if we're not going to put the dogs in harm's way, what purpose do they serve? Why bother training the dog if he can't subdue a perp with a weapon? Do they train the dogs so they can get their master a beer?

Why put the dog in danger? The perp was asked to put the weapon down, he was tased ineffectively, and then moved to attack a police officer when he had his weapon drawn. At that point I do not see the reason to let the dog go after him.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
That is easy to say when you are armchair QB'ing the situation after the fact.

Why put the dog in danger? The perp was asked to put the weapon down, he was tased ineffectively, and then moved to attack a police officer when he had his weapon drawn. At that point I do not see the reason to let the dog go after him.

I disagree with the way the article was written about the 'attack'. I watched the video a couple of times and it appears that the perp was just moving the officer back by advancing upon him. I didn't see him swing at all. Was that a terrible idea? Yes. Was it safe to assume you'd likely get shot? Yes.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I disagree with the way the article was written about the 'attack'. I watched the video a couple of times and it appears that the perp was just moving the officer back by advancing upon him. I didn't see him swing at all. Was that a terrible idea? Yes. Was it safe to assume you'd likely get shot? Yes.

So you read an article and you know exactly what the perp was thinking? Nobody knows what he was thinking.

What we do know is that he advanced towards the officer with a deadly weapon in hand. He had the opportunity to put the weapon down plenty of times.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL

But I want to get back to my point about the purpose of police dogs. Any time they are let off the leash, they are in a dangerous situation. I would argue that having a dog chase down a seemingly unarmed perp is putting the dog in a dangerous situation. The perp could easily have a concealed weapon and hurt the dog. The perp could pick up something off the ground or in a garage that could be used to take out a dog. They spend a lot of time and money training these dogs. Do we think the dogs are not trained to take down an armed man? Do they just teach the dogs to sit, roll-over, and play dead?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info