to iPhone, or not to iPhone?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
so im totally sick of my Evo Shift. for keyboard reasons.

do i get a evo 3d? evo design? both of which are $99.99

or

do i jump up to the iphone 4 also $99.99, bt its only 8gb

or

i can do the iphone 4s 16gb for $199.99
------------------------------------------------

now here is my problem, sprint doesnt offer insurance on a iphone, you have to get a apple care plan, which is 99 bucks and covers you for 24 months. im currently paying like $7/month now for my premium insurance.

im kinda rough on a phone, or have been.. i need to beable to use my pohne as a modem via PDAnet so i have internet acess while at work. is that possible with a iphone? i have no fucking clue.

but shifts seem to be selling for about $150 on ebay, so once i buy a new phone ill get all or most my money back which is nice.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
or you can get a galaxy S2 from sprint which is better than all of those phones :io:

but between those choices, id say iphone (tho i dont know if there is something similar to pdanet on the iphone...you may need to jailbreak it).

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Jailbreak + MiWi. Amie and I used it as our internet for a while since she was grandfathered in with unlimited data through AT&T.

Unfortunately, there are no "untethered" jailbreaks available for the iPhone 4 with iOS 5 yet. There's a bunch of tethered jailbreaks but I don't feel like having to constantly jailbreak it if the battery dies or gets turned off somehow.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
This is EXACTLY what my GF did a month ago.

Her Evo Shift was pissing her off beyond compare, and she finally came to the dark side and bought a 16GB 4S, and couldn't be happier.

Square Trade also offers 2 years of insurance for $100 or so as well, both them and Applecares new coverage come highly recommended.

She couldn't be happier. :jg:

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Jailbreak + MiWi. Amie and I used it as our internet for a while since she was grandfathered in with unlimited data through AT&T.

Unfortunately, there are no "untethered" jailbreaks available for the iPhone 4 with iOS 5 yet. There's a bunch of tethered jailbreaks but I don't feel like having to constantly jailbreak it if the battery dies or gets turned off somehow.
all this talk is like chinese to me.

what does that all mean? will i be able to plug it into my computer and open an application and have internet service like i do with PDAnet and my evo?

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
when it comes to sprint (and not speaking at all for the other carriers) the s2 is THE best choice.

the only downside is if you dont like to have a 4.5 inch phone chilling in your pocket.
see, i already have large things in that area of the pants. im not sure if my pockets can get any tighter!

:pedobear: :hsughlol:

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
I have no experience with sprint data but I can tell you if tethering and durability are your main concerns (behind working) I would pass on an iPhone. It's durable for the average user but I've seen enough break when they shouldn't have.
even when theyre in those kick ass rubber cases?

what is the advantage of going iphone? why is it all the rage right now?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I use a speck case and I've dropped my phone a few times and it's been fine. I broke the digitizer on my old one while it was in my pocket and it got hit. Screen was facing my leg too :rofl:

I think usability, battery life and the fact it just always works are the highlights of the iPhone. The camera is kickass too.

Oh and I have an ip4s fyi.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I have an Incipio case, dropped my iphone and my droid into a foot of water, had some issues with the iphone right away (only worked on speaker phone) but after a day or two in dry rice, it came around and works fine to this day. The droid I can to get a replacement as it was toasted.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
ill sext dan now.

what is this jailbreak you gentlemen speak of?

Long story short, you can 'hack' an iphone to allow you to download non apple approved apps. Which includes apps that let you tether your computer among others. The only place to download new apps on an iPhone that is not jailbroken is to use the Apple App store, which enforces/regulates the apps that are allowed to go up for sale there.

I've used a jailbroken iPhone, and I'm content leaving mine alone. Does everything and more that I need it to (I upgraded from a 3S to a 4S recently).

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Look at it like this. I've never heard anyone buy an iphone and say they didn't like it. Jailbreak ftw!!

i hate my iphone. :dunno:

if your going to want to use it for internet on your computer through the phone, don't get an iphone. reasons: no 4g, no wireless tether. once you use 4g you'll never go back to the outdated iphone and crapg (aka 3g)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info