Thank you Metra, for fucking me harder than normal.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Got an Email from my companies Comptroller:

"The current transit benefit allowed for up to $ 230.00 per month to be deducted from your pay on a pretax basis. The legislation that allowed for this limit is set to expire at the end of this year. Congress has yet to extend this benefit limit. Therefore, effective January 1, 2012 the monthly transit benefit will be reduced to $ 125.00."

My ticket was $116, and tax free.... Now with Metras 30% fare increase means my new ticket is $149.50.

Which means I have to pay 24.50 of it out of pocket, and get taxed on (on top of the $125 being pulled from my paycheck every month)

So now the Metra increase has gone from being inevitable, to being full-on obnoxious AND inconvenient....

:nutz: Panda, I'm on your boat now.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
So is this so you can get to work every day?
If so, :madfawk:. I'd love to pay $33.50 a month to travel to work.

I pay $116 for Metra right now, it's being raised to $149.50.

Currently it gets deducted Pre-Tax from my paycheck into a tidy little check for Metra, now due to expiring legislation that amount won't be enough... I will instead now get a pre-tax check of $125 to give to metra out of the $149.50 I need, and then I will have to pay the difference (which will be taxed).

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
OK, I'm pretty sure your employer pays you a little bit more for compensation of the Metra bill that comes out of your check. If not I don't think anyone would agree to that happening and you would need to have a little sit down with your boss.

Now to the point of you bitching about $33.50 out of pocket. STFU still. I wish, along with 99% of the people on here, would love to only pay $33.50 a month to commute to work and have work front the rest. Hell, I'd love to have work just cover the toll for me to get to work.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
OK, I'm pretty sure your employer pays you a little bit more for compensation of the Metra bill that comes out of your check. If not I don't think anyone would agree to that happening and you would need to have a little sit down with your boss.

Now to the point of you bitching about $33.50 out of pocket. STFU still. I wish, along with 99% of the people on here, would love to only pay $33.50 a month to commute to work and have work front the rest. Hell, I'd love to have work just cover the toll for me to get to work.

No, my employer does not compensate me in any way shape or form for my Metra ticket. They simply cut a check to Metra for me (out of my pay) to hand to them. By doing this, I'm technically paying taxes on $116 less of my monthly income.

Say I made $1000 Pre tax a month If my train ticket was $116, My company would cut me that check, and I'd be paying Tax on only $884 a month instead of $1000.

Basically this legislation saved me a few bucks a month, and was a huge convenience as my company gave me a check for the exact amount for my train ticket. Now the legislation limits the amount they can do that for to just under what my train ticket actually costs.....

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ok, if you can not afford a extra $33.50 a month then find a job closer or ask your boss for a little extra cash.

I still would love to only pay $150 a month to get to work and back. I do that in just over a week.

Why is it so hard to gather?

The $ isn't the issue, It's just REALLY obnoxious to not only have to pay more money, but also now have to pay $125 in a check, and then the balance in cash/credit/another check... This is happening because of a combination of the rate hike, and national legislation...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info