Want USB control of your in-car music? Don't buy a Galaxy Nexus

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
galaxy-nexus-4-628.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/23/want-usb-control-of-your-in-car-music-dont-buy-a-galaxy-nexus/

Android owners with a USB-equipped vehicle might not get all the connected benefits of their iPhone-touting friends, but at least they could plug in to access their tunes. Now it seems that Google's latest flagship won't even do that.

Speaking with the throngs on Reddit, Android engineer Dan Morrill confirmed that the Samsung Galaxy Nexus can't support USB mass storage. Unlike other Android devices equipped with an SD card, your vehicle's infotainment system would mount your smartphone and recognize it as a drive. That's not the case with the Galaxy Nexus due to a new partition setup.

Thankfully, other devices upgraded to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) won't be affected by the issue, so Nexus S owners can sleep soundly. Of course, Bluetooth playback will still be supported, so that long drive to Grandma's house on Turkey Day won't be a tunes-free affair.

Interestingly, one automaker should be immune from the issue: Ford. The automaker's SYNC 1.0 and 2.0 infotainment systems supports MTP (Media Transfer Protocol), which the Galaxy Nexus uses to transfer files with Windows machines. And as you'll recall, Microsoft co-developed SYNC with Ford. However, representatives from Ford haven't been able to confirm if the new Nexus works with their system, and we've yet to receive word from other automakers about the issue.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
This also doesn't clarify if it will charge through the USB despite the data loss. Plus with streaming bluetooth, a few new cars have full control and track info, further closing the gap between USB.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
who cares about album art? :rofl:

and i dont have steering wheel controls so that feature is meaningless. annd i have a car charger in said car so i mean again, another useless feature.

would i possible tout those if i had it? maybe. but having to reach down and tap "next" on my phone is about as easy as it gets.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
who cares about album art? :rofl:

and i dont have steering wheel controls so that feature is meaningless. annd i have a car charger in said car so i mean again, another useless feature.

would i possible tout those if i had it? maybe. but having to reach down and tap "next" on my phone is about as easy as it gets.

Actually, it's easier to change songs with my steering wheel. No looking down.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Using the Aux jack on a HU, and a Car Charger SUCKS.

I use my iPhone as a GPS, and for music. I mount it on my windshield with a single USB cable to my Kenwood HU. Takes care of GPS, My music, Charges it, and only has one cable. Even just having 2 cables makes my dashboard a rats nest.

On a side note, using Bluetooth or Aux without charging RIPS through batteries of any phone, especially if you are using Pandora for example.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
I find it annoying having a cord plug in each side.

I only do it if I want to listen to something not on my iPod or a random mp3 cd.

I just leave my iPod hooked up in the glove box; I think it's the easiest and best solution and have full controls through the radio

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info