I-90 epicenter of construction

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
got this from my sister, who is a civil engineer

First order of business is to add a 4th lane in each direction on I-90 between Elgin toll plaza and the Kennedy.

If you haven’t already heard, read below:

Tollway Capital Plan Passes

The Illinois Tollway Board of Directors voted this morning to pass the $12 billion, 15-year capital plan, Move Illinois: The Illinois Tollway Driving the Future, which will rebuilt the 52-year-old Tollway system.

At the 15 public hearings, 87 percent of the written testimony was positive, 80 percent of the oral testimony was positive, and after reviewing the online comments, 71 percent of the submissions were in support of the program.

This capital plan maps out the Illinois Tollway's infrastructure investments for 2012 through 2026 and is aimed at creating jobs, stimulating the economy, providing better travel conditions, and relieving congestion. The plan will create more than 120,000 permanent jobs and add $21 billion to the economy. The new fares, which will be an increase of 35 cents at most toll plazas for I-Pass users, will go into effect January 1, 2012.

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
yeah, they are finishing repaving from what ? 31-> 53 or some shit and then they are going to dig everything up ?

i asked her if they were putting an exit for barrington going east and this is what she said
There is a lot of desire for an exit at barrington based on the public hearing that I was at…but it is not in the current plan.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
If they care about jobs they better have people working round the clock to complete this.

What will make it different than what they do now? They will get breaks all the time, everyone will stand around and watch one person work. They won't work when it's cold or when it's raining. Than they will go on Strike because their $40 an hour is not enough.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
They could make it 6 lanes in each direction and all the retards will still be in the fucking left lane pacing the car next to them while on the cell phone or texting. Nothing will cure Chicagos traffic problems, it'll just put more idiots on the expressways during rush hour.

And the 53 north expansion won't be touched until the team of lawyers in Long Grove die or change their minds about having an expressway in their backyard. The land is there and the right of way for expansion is there but those assclowns keep filing injunctions to prevent the construction of Rt 53 from Lake Cook Rd all the way up to 120. Google build 53 and you'll understand.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
Yep. To fill a temporary deficit. Personally I don't mind a tollway system because you only pay if you use it. Seems fair. I use it almost everyday before any says I probably don't drive it a lot.

So are the regular roads if you think about it. I am paying taxes and fees to use the roads I use.

Tolls were supposed to come down once the bonds were repaid.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
So are the regular roads if you think about it. I am paying taxes and fees to use the roads I use.

This is true however often times taking the tollway is faster (in theory). For example I can take 83 to Thorndale to Springinsguth to get to my GF's place in Schaumburg for "free" (paying taxes as stated above). I can also pay (currently $.15) to get home in 10 min by taking EOH to 53 to 90 to AH as opposed to 20 min the other way. Sometimes when I wanna save 10 minutes I think that $.15 is worth it.

Same way you can take side streets into the city for "free" but you pay tolls for the time saving factor.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
UOTE=mmuscare;1026175]This is true however often times taking the tollway is faster (in theory). For example I can take 83 to Thorndale to Springinsguth to get to my GF's place in Schaumburg for "free" (paying taxes as stated above). I can also pay (currently $.15) to get home in 10 min by taking EOH to 53 to 90 to AH as opposed to 20 min the other way. Sometimes when I wanna save 10 minutes I think that $.15 is worth it.

Same way you can take side streets into the city for "free" but you pay tolls for the time saving factor.[/QUOTE]

The tollways are as bad as the public “free” streets. I know the 294 and 355 isn’t much faster during rush hour.

The solution that Springfield should be looking at is how to take down the tollways and just fund those roads normally through State and Federal funding.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
The solution that Springfield should be looking at is how to take down the tollways and just fund those roads normally through State and Federal funding.

That won't happen unless they charge more for the "free" roads. Then that screws over people who never use the tollway. My grandmother never uses the tollway, so that would be penalizing her for something she doesn't use.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
That won't happen unless they charge more for the "free" roads. Then that screws over people who never use the tollway. My grandmother never uses the tollway, so that would be penalizing her for something she doesn't use.

That argument holds no weight. I pay for roads all over this State that I will never use in my lifetime.

In the early '60s commission officials were citing the distant day of 1980, when the debt would be paid and the tollways folded into the state highway system. But the politicians soon realized they’d invented a money gusher -- keeping tollbooths in place had become essential. Toll collection was sure money and thus could serve as a source of collateral to keep the bond rating low, allowing the agency to readily borrow more money -- serving the needs of motorists for certain, but also the needs of empire builders who were dispensing tollway jobs and contracts.

On October 26, 1967, lawmakers broke their promise to the public, transforming the toll commission into the more autonomous ISTHA and paving the way for the toll roads to become a permanent fixture.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Eternal-Toll-128387488.html#ixzz1W4nV1piU

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
That argument holds no weight. I pay for roads all over this State that I will never use in my lifetime.

I see your point, however tollways are not the only means of getting around. There is no way that roads can be maintained without the revenue from the tolls. Taxes would dramatically increase. I don't wanna pay more by default every year, and I'm sure you don't either. Look at Wisconsin, they have no tolls, higher income tax than Illinois and their roads are horrible.

It is simple to boycott the toll hikes, don't drive the tollway.

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I see your point, however tollways are not the only means of getting around. There is no way that roads can be maintained without the revenue from the tolls. Taxes would dramatically increase. I don't wanna pay more by default every year, and I'm sure you don't either. Look at Wisconsin, they have no tolls, higher income tax than Illinois and their roads are horrible.

It is simple to boycott the toll hikes, don't drive the tollway.

Wisconsin Roads are WAY better than Illinois. The State of Wisconsin is also in much better shape than Illinois financially.

Roads can be maintained without tolls. If you made those normal roads, they would be open to Federal funding.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info