No drivers License for high school dropouts?

Votin' for needin' education for drivin'

• Agree - I graduated highschool/completed ged

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Agree - I didn't graduate highschool/completed ged

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disagree - I graduated highschool/completed ged

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • Disagree - I didn't graduate highschool/completed ged

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Just read a bit of this article on autoblog. Thought it was thought provoking. i'd love to be hardnosed and say I agree with this, but at the same time I'd say I don't. It would just promote more problems in our economy and your ability to complete highschool doesn't dictate your driving capability IMO.

Thoughts?

Poll added: Do you agree or disagree that drivers that drop out of highschool should not be allowed to attain a drivers license.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/09/should-governments-be-allowed-to-ban-drop-outs-from-getting-lice/

mclovin-license.jpg

Passing your high school courses and passing your driver's license test are two very different things. Though they're independent of each other now, lawmakers in some states are trying to tie the two together. Certain states are examining legislation that would bar high school drop-outs from getting a driver's license?

States including Georgia, Massachusetts, Texas, New York and Michigan, are in favor of these anti-drop measures. The idea behind the proposed laws is that kids would be more likely to stay in school if the privilege of driving an automobile were at stake. Other states, like California, Illinois, Florida and Ohio don't see things the same way. Those against the laws argue that parents are ultimately the ones who should be in charge of revoking driving privileges, not the state.

What say you? Should the drop-outs be banned from driving, or is this a case of the government crossing the line? Sound off in the comments, and be sure to answer the poll below.

More important news is that I just hit 1k posts :D

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
I am going to say agree on this one. While I would say that some people are extremely intelligent and could run a multi-million dollar company without a GED, I would say that is the exception and not the norm. I think our society needs to keep progressing on improving our education standards.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Well, this is a loaded question. It would be good motivation for those who need it and are dropping out for the wrong reasons... but what about those who have to drop out to support their family, etc.? I think it really depends on the situation... IMO

I agree with that. I think there are certain situations that this shouldn't apply to. The majority of drop outs at my school were due to laziness more than anything. If this were a law I'd hope that there would be exceptions if in the event the student had to take on a full time job for family support or if they become pregnant. The pregnant highschooler is a whole other argument, but you need a car to support a family regardless of age.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I'm going to have to disagree. While I think it is moronic to drop out of high school, I don't see a correlation between the two. If the person can pass the written and driving part of the exam, they should get a license. Like others have stated, I'm sure there are certifiable geniuses out there that drive worth a shit.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
You don't need any drivers ed to pass high school.

I agree with this. Dropping out of high school is a measure of the student's concept of responsibility and sound decision making (or lack thereof). Driving requires a lot of both. While I also agree that the driving testing is a joke, maybe this would help weed out SOME of the irresponsible drivers. I also have no problem with the alterior motive of keeping kids in school.

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
You don't need any drivers ed to pass high school.

I agree with this. Dropping out of high school is a measure of the student's concept of responsibility and sound decision making (or lack thereof). Driving requires a lot of both. While I also agree that the driving testing is a joke, maybe this would help weed out SOME of the irresponsible drivers. I also have no problem with the alterior motive of keeping kids in school.

That's a good point!

Thread Info